• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Health Care Reform: the Progressive Majority's Strategy

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
The Progressive Majority's Strategy for Being Heard

by bob altemeyer

Aug 05, 2009

People who want meaningful health care reform are understandably angry about the anti-democratic tactics being used by opponents to shut down the town halls. We want to do something about it. It is important to react, and strongly, but not in a way that undercuts our goal.

If supporters show up in massive numbers at a town hall and get into a huge shouting contest with the opponents, is that going to lead to the kind of meeting that will enable people to ask questions and discuss options with their representative? Probably not. Instead, the town hall will likely be shut down, perhaps by the police, and "It will be the liberals' fault as much as the conservatives'!" Who wins, in that scenario? (Ans: The opponents of health reform, who get what they wanted--no town hall--and only half the blame for undermining a democratic process.) (Maybe not even half the blame on some TV networks.) As well, the supporters "legitimize" the opponents' tactic of shouting down speakers they don't like, since they do it themselves.

If violence erupts during such a confrontation--and I've seen postings by progressives saying it's time "to stand up and fight" and "to bloody some noses"-- then we fall into what I've called the "Nixon trap." My experiments show that when public violence occurs, even when it's clearly been instigated by right-wingers, the public becomes more authoritarian, wanting a strong authoritarian government to clamp down and "restore law and order." I don't think progressives want the country to go in this direction. And can't you hear the leaders of the opposition saying, after a left-right brawl "This issue is just too divisive. Obama is wrecking the nation. Let's forget about health care reform until cooler heads prevail." So again, who wins if supporters fight the tea-baggers in the meeting halls?

So what should be done, if we're smart enough not to fall for the bait lying now before us? First of all, we should redouble our efforts to let our representatives know where we stand on the issue. If you've already emailed or phoned your reps, talk to someone else who hasn't, right now, and see if that person will follow your lead. If you're burning with anger and want to "do something," try mightily to get just one new person to voice support for meaningful health care reform. Show them how to do it. A surge in new support at this time will surely be noticed by your representative's staff. It will make clear what the country, not the opponents, really wants. You can thereby use the attention the protesters have brought to the issue against them, to seal the deal.

Second, progressives should organize their own demonstrations in support of reform. Get together. Make your support clear. Chant the chants. Make the march. Give the speeches. Just don't do it as a confrontation with the opponents. Do it your way, as a vast, peaceful outpouring of support for a better America. We need rallies like the magnificent ones held a year ago during the presidential campaign.

Third, the leaders of the health care reform movement must vigorously expose the lies being spread about the various proposals, and also pointedly expose who is organizing the opposition movement. They should also condemn the way the protesters have attacked one of the most sacred principles of our democracy: freedom of speech. Make it clear how shamefully they have acted.

The opponents of health care reform have made a big tactical mistake. They look very bad in shouting down the town halls. They come across as what they are, extremists, and most people are properly frightened by extremists. At this point, the more they carry on, the worse it gets for them. They are a desperate minority that's having a wonderful time discrediting itself. So let them.

If we use our heads instead of "going with our gut reaction" the way the protesters have, we can be proactive, strong, willful, purposeful and effective. This isn't the time for being macho-stupid. It's time for being smart and victorious.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The progressives won't because they don't even believe their on the right track with healthcare reform anymore.

BTW ....... I wouldn't say it's a majority anymore. Liberals hate it when their tactics are used against them. JMHO

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just curious, but since when have the "progressives" ever been a 'majority' in this country? Honestly, I thought the 'progressive' (also called 'liberal') wing of the Democratic party was actually a minority of that party. It happens to be wielding the power through all sorts of circumstances, but I can't find any evidence it is anything more than about 20% of the population and clearly not a majority.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

by bob altemeyer

Aug 05, 2009

People who want meaningful health care reform are understandably angry about the anti-democratic tactics being used by opponents to shut down the town halls. We want to do something about it. It is important to react, and strongly, but not in a way that undercuts our goal. . .

Here is an interesting counter-point. Seems that many suggest that the liberals are using anti-democratic tactics. There is no question they bus in people from union halls and other places. So how can they legitimately complain about anything???

By Michelle Malkin • August 5, 2009 07:01 AM
Scroll down for updates…
Tea Party-bashers gone wild
by Michelle Malkin
Creators Syndicate
Copyright 2009

The activist Left can’t stand competition. Last week in Long Island, NY, opponents of the Democrats’ government health care takeover legislation outnumbered Obama supporters ten to one. The Tea Party activists toted American flags and signs that read “WE CAN’T AFFORD FREE HEALTH CARE” – prompting one foe to stalk into the peaceful crowd, gesticulate wildly, and shout unintelligible threats at the top of his lungs.

The same Democrat Masters of Astroturf who encouraged their followers to use “in your face” tactics during the campaign season now balk at vocal opposition from their fiscally conservative neighbors and co-workers. Obama’s architects of Kabuki town halls have packed public forums with partisan plants. Now, they accuse opponents gathering at impromptu rallies against the massive health care takeover legislation (which no one has read) of orchestrating “manufactured anger.”

Unaccustomed to pushback, the wealthy, astro-turfed ground troops for Obamacare – underwritten by unions, liberal philanthropists, the AARP, ACORN, and your tax dollars — have resorted to projection. As I’ve reported previously, the single-payer lobby boasts a $40 million budget and a stable of seasoned political operatives based at 1825 K Street in Washington, D.C. Now, that cabal is accusing the broad coalition of taxpayer activists, libertarians, independents, talk radio loyalists, bloggers, and first-time protesters against socialized medicine of being, yes, wealthy and astroturfed.

In a comical missive issued Tuesday afternoon, Democratic National Committee spokesman Brad Woodhouse complained: “The Republicans and their allied groups — desperate after losing two consecutive elections and every major policy fight on Capitol Hill — are inciting angry mobs of a small number of rabid right wing extremists funded by K Street Lobbyists to disrupt thoughtful discussions about the future of health care in America taking place in Congressional Districts across the country.”

The DNC definition of “thoughtful:” Sitting silent about the lack of transparency, deliberation, truth in numbers, and reciprocity on the Obamacare plan. The DNC definition of incitement: Asking out loud, “How can you manage health care when you can’t manage Cash For Clunkers?”
White House press secretary Robert Gibbs, apparently oblivious to the dozens of well-dressed and well-heeled former lobbyists and influence peddlers employed by his own boss, derided health care town hall protesters as the “Brooks Brothers brigade.” Brooks Brothers was also the president’s clothes designer of choice on Inauguration Day. He taunted: “I hope people will take a jaundiced eye to what is clearly the AstroTurf nature of so-called grass-roots lobbying.” Meanwhile, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi dispatched a memo obtained by D.C.-based newspaper Human Events assuring Democrats of “close coordination” with faux grass-roots groups “including but not limited to HCAN, Families USA, AFSCME, SEIU, AARP, etc.”
But never mind all that.

Some panicked congressional targets of the Tea Party movement have responded by shutting their offices, closing their blinds, and shooing pesky constituents off public property. The White House health czar’s office is mustering up Internet snitches to report “inaccurate” blog posts and “casual conversations” from health care opponents. And liberal bloggers and cable yakkers are waging their own war on the Tea Party movement by redefining participatory democracy as “thuggery” and “hooliganism.”
Talking Points Memo blogger Josh Marshall bemoaned a fiscal conservative activist’s memo offering advice on how to “pack the hall..spread out” and challenge a politician early “to rattle him, get him off his prepared script and agenda.” Horrors! “This amounts to a sort of civic vigilanteism,” Marshall fretted.

No, showing up at a congressional town hall and booing a talking points-programmed political hack isn’t “civic vigilantism.” Throwing rocks, pouring cement on train tracks, blocking military shipments, smashing windows, hurling paint, slashing tires, vandalizing businesses, and throwing shoes are vigilante acts.

That is what the anti-war, anti-free trade, anti-Bush mobsters did over the last eight years – and there wasn’t a peep about those brute tactics from Obama’s blogging pals.

They sat quietly while Code Pink disrupted hearings on the Hill and harassed Marine recruiters.

They looked the other way when ACORN illegally broke into homes and stormed foreclosure auctions.
They gave their tacit approval to self-declared “bank terrorists” like Boston housing entitlement organizer Bruce Marks, who show up at the schools of bank executives’ children and bullies them because of their parents’ employment in the name of social justice.

Now, the taxpayers footing the bill for Obama’s redistribution of health and wealth are silent no more – and the unhinged Left is beside itself. The “thoughtful” left-wing response to the Tea Party counterinsurgency can best be summed up by hysterical Hollywood actress Janeane Garafolo, who railed last week: “F**ng redneck d**chebaggery. Unmitigated d**chebaggery.”
It’s not the town halls that have gone wild. It’s the Tea Party-bashers who can’t tolerate peaceful, open dissent.[/QUOTE]​

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The democrats love the phrase - Do as I say, not as I do!

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
another view

by mcjoan

Thu Aug 06, 2009 at 11:30:03 AM PDT

"With Dem members of Congress being hung in effigy, told to commit suicide, receiving death threats, being physically assaulted, it's time for organized efforts by progressives too bring a little sanity to the process. To that end, Obama's political organization, OFA, is starting a new campaign, "explicitly directing supporters to get the backs of members of Congress at public meetings." From the sample e-mail
I wanted to send you an urgent invitation to an important town hall with Rep. Frank Kratovil, Jr. this afternoon, Thursday, August 6th. He’ll be talking to constituents and gathering feedback — this is an ideal opportunity to make sure your support for health insurance reform is seen and heard at exactly the right time.
Our congressional representatives are back home this month, and they’re facing more and more pressure from special interests on health insurance reform. It’s critical that we get out there and show them where we stand.
They've also stepped up the effort to show that the majority of Americans really do want reform by asking members to call their member of Congress, and then register the call with OFA.
PFAW is making a similar effort among its members. Here's part of the e-mail they sent today:
Progressives can't let themselves be out-organized on the health care issue and need to counter these lie-driven mobs. It's time for progressives to make their presence known and their voices heard. Tell your members of Congress not to be intimidated and to reject mob tactics.
Here's what you can do:

1. Email your congressional representatives if you have not already.

1. Follow up your email with a phone call (find contact information here).

1. Find a town hall event near you this recess and attend.
--end quote. Makes sense to me!

SShepherd

The democrats love the phrase - Do as I say, not as I do!

Thats no joke !

Look at the healthcare bill, we "need" it, but they sure as hell aren't going on it.

Look how they feel about the right to carry a firearm, "they're too dangerous for the avg. joe citizen"

They like to think they somehow know whats best for us:glare:

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
another view

by mcjoan

Thu Aug 06, 2009 at 11:30:03 AM PDT

"With Dem members of Congress being hung in effigy, told to commit suicide, receiving death threats, being physically assaulted, it's time for organized efforts by progressives too bring a little sanity to the process. To that end, Obama's political organization, OFA, is starting a new campaign, "explicitly directing supporters to get the backs of members of Congress at public meetings." From the sample e-mail
I wanted to send you an urgent invitation to an important town hall with Rep. Frank Kratovil, Jr. this afternoon, Thursday, August 6th. He’ll be talking to constituents and gathering feedback — this is an ideal opportunity to make sure your support for health insurance reform is seen and heard at exactly the right time.
Our congressional representatives are back home this month, and they’re facing more and more pressure from special interests on health insurance reform. It’s critical that we get out there and show them where we stand.

They've also stepped up the effort to show that the majority of Americans really do want reform by asking members to call their member of Congress, and then register the call with OFA.
PFAW is making a similar effort among its members. Here's part of the e-mail they sent today:
Progressives can't let themselves be out-organized on the health care issue and need to counter these lie-driven mobs. It's time for progressives to make their presence known and their voices heard. Tell your members of Congress not to be intimidated and to reject mob tactics.
Here's what you can do:

1. Email your congressional representatives if you have not already.
  1. Follow up your email with a phone call (find contact information here).
  1. Find a town hall event near you this recess and attend.
--end quote. Makes sense to me!

Ahhhhh. Sweet irony.

"With Dem members of Congress being hung in effigy, told to commit suicide, receiving death threats, being physically assaulted"

This is abject nonsense. At least there wasn't a delusional reference to swastikas ....:whistling:

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
How bout a non-delusional reference to a swastika?

s_FTCOLLINS_large.jpg

Source - "meanwhile, some Republicans insist Democrats are lying about "town hell" rowdies carrying signs with swastikas "

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I'm saying this photo represents what Pelosi is objecting to.

And that a reference to seeing a swastika isn't an example of delusion, as you claimed.

But let's not get pulled off topic. My main point in this thread is that the liberals are trying to conduct townhall meetings with traditional courtesy and give-and-take, as real community presentations of what's in the bill, presented by our representatives who will soon vote on it, while the right seems intent on using disruption to make this presentation impossible.

There is a common theme in many things I'm reading: that the disruptors have a crackpot view of what's in the health care bill and they can't be convinced differently.

For examples
Abortion - no, no funding for that.
Euthanization of the elderly. No.
Health insurance for illegal aliens - nope tampoco.
Forced sex reassignment surgery - surprise, no!

That nobody has read the bill.
The AUTHOR of the bill has been trying to get this through congress since 1955. Yes, he knows what is in it. It is pointless to shout him down when he declares that.

I think everybody needs to read this first hand account of the town hall meeting held by Rep Dingell, the author of the bill.

Small excerpt
At 83, Rep. Dingell is the longest-serving person in Congress today. He has introduced a single-payer health care bill every single year since he took over from his father in 1955 and has been at the forefront of the debate this legislative session.

He began with some opening remarks but found it difficult, however, to overcome the unbelievably disrespectful comments, jeers and shouts ... had a difficult time communicating to those of us who came to hear his take on the legislation currently before the House.

I won't forget the image of this elderly-yet-stately gentleman, calmly facing a hostile crowd. He's truly a class act.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
First of all it's a swastika with a red cross through it - last time I checked that should be thought of as an anti-swastika. If that's all you got then it's being used out of context.

I will say that all this "in-your-face" stuff is no different then all the Iraq war protesters that we had to endure for the last 7 years. Those people shut down traffic in Portland and caused all sorts of chaos for people that weren't even elected.

Basically, both sides of this country have pretty much fallen off the deep-end. There is no hope for America only more petty bickering and in-fighting.

SShepherd

My main point in this thread is that the liberals are trying to conduct townhall meetings with traditional courtesy and give-and-take, as real community presentations of what's in the bill, presented by our representatives who will soon vote on it, while the right seems intent on using disruption to make this presentation impossible.

Ya, those liberals don't disrupt meetings at all, and want give and take

like this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prtYKvO05A8"]YouTube - Protesters Disrupt Senate Hearing on Health Care[/ame]

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Where was the Democrat outrage when people were disrupting Tom Tancredo's meetings?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ7vcgQjkDQ&feature=related"]YouTube - Tom Tancredo Event UNC Shut Down By Violence 1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7naTR5QCxo"]YouTube - Tom Tancredo Event UNC Shut Down By Violence 2[/ame]

What a bunch of hypocrites.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I found some more Swastika images for you California!

Oh wait - if you actually read the signs you might understand the context in which they were being used - but of course that wouldn't help the agenda of making the protesters seem like nazi supporters.

3793137672_92d1c8529f.jpg

3793137404_e85a240601.jpg

Kwiens

PB, BigDog & Shepherd +1

Typical left wing liberal strategy to get off point...................

It's only "OK" when they "question". Apparently it annoys them when the tables are turned; a case of "do as I say, not as I do"! What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

And yes, abortions, illegals and euthanization are in the bill.

K

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, this stereo types the liberal youth of our country as despicable. When is this chit going to come to ahead now with Obama clearly telling his liberal friends to fight 2 fold.

There is no one to blame all this on but himself, looks like folks are waking up. Let's see how his goons do since they've been called into action.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
PB, I don't think Pelosi ever said that the teabaggers were rallying under the swastika flag, only that bringing swastika symbols and trying to link them to our President was an example of how far off the mark these protesters are.

Can someone find a primary reference to what Pelosi actually said? I can't find it, only third-hand reactions to what someone thought she was claimed to have said. Her wording, place, time, cited in a credible source. Lets get to the bottom of this.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Very good! Thanks, Zoom!

I think it's a stretch, propaganda, to interpret that clip to say Pelosi saw protesters rallying under the swastika flag. She didn't say that.

I agree with her that bringing signs which label Obama 'Nazi' illustrates that the protester don't know what they are talking about. See Godwin's Law. Look up Jesse Owens.

SShepherd

Very good! Thanks, Zoom!

I think it's a stretch, propaganda, to interpret that clip to say Pelosi saw protesters rallying under the swastika flag. She didn't say that.

I agree with her that bringing signs which label Obama 'Nazi' illustrates that the protester don't know what they are talking about. See Godwin's Law. Look up Jesse Owens.

No, she said thats what "they" (astroturf) are doing.

not much to interpret when you hear it from the horses mouth

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
How bout a non-delusional reference to a swastika?

s_FTCOLLINS_large.jpg

Source - "meanwhile, some Republicans insist Democrats are lying about "town hell" rowdies carrying signs with swastikas "

It seems my choice of the word "delusional" was a poor one.

Ms. Pelosi's comment strikes me as a manipulation of the facts. As she worded it, one would infer that these folks were wearing armbands a la neonazis. Zat better?

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Thanks! I think we are now beginning from the same basic facts, even if we prefer different outcomes. That's a start.

To my ear I thought she was simply saying that the debate had gone off into the realm of bizarre and irrational.

She's a smooth politician so perhaps she intentionally left room for people to take the inference you suggest. She might even be gaming the opposition, like the guy who made the fake Kenya birth certificate just to watch the hilarity it caused. :D

Kwiens

See highlighted areas below:

I threw in a freebie...........Government marriage and family therapy.

Here's the house version of the bill (all 1018 pages of it).
http://docs.house.gov/edlabor/AAHCA-BillText-071409.pdf

Some things that may be of interest. (Note: I haven't personally reviewed or vetted each item listed).

• Page 16: Mandates that you enroll in the government plan if you leave your employer!
• Page 22: Mandates audits of all employers that self-insure!
• Page 29: Admission: your health care will be rationed!
• Page 30: A government committee will decide what treatments and benefits you get (and, unlike an insurer, there will be no appeals process)
• Page 42: The "Health Choices Commissioner" will decide health benefits for you. You will have no choice. None.
• Page 50: All non-US citizens, illegal or not, will be provided with free healthcare services.
• Page 58: Every person will be issued a National ID Healthcard.
• Page 59: The federal government will have direct, real-time access to all individual bank accounts for electronic funds transfer.
• Page 65: Taxpayers will subsidize all union retiree and community organizer health plans (read: SEIU, UAW and ACORN)
• Page 72: All private healthcare plans must conform to government rules to participate in a Healthcare Exchange.
• Page 84: All private healthcare plans must participate in the Healthcare Exchange (i.e., total government control of private plans)
• Page 91: Government mandates linguistic infrastructure for services; translation: illegal aliens

• Page 95: The Government will pay ACORN and Americorps to sign up individuals for Government-run Health Care plan.
• Page 102: Those eligible for Medicaid will be automatically enrolled: you have no choice in the matter.
• Page 124: No company can sue the government for price-fixing. No "judicial review" is permitted against the government monopoly. Put simply, private insurers will be crushed.
• Page 127: The AMA sold doctors out: the government will set wages.
• Page 145: An employer MUST auto-enroll employees into the government-run public plan. No alternatives.
• Page 126: Employers MUST pay healthcare bills for part-time employees AND their families.
• Page 149: Any employer with a payroll of $400K or more, who does not offer the public option, pays an 8% tax on payroll
• Page 150: Any employer with a payroll of $250K-400K or more, who does not offer the public option, pays a 2 to 6% tax on payroll
• Page 167: Any individual who doesn’t' have acceptable healthcare (according to the government) will be taxed 2.5% of income.
• Page 170: Any NON-RESIDENT alien is exempt from individual taxes (Americans will pay for them).
• Page 195: Officers and employees of Government Healthcare Bureaucracy will have access to ALL American financial and personal records.
• Page 203: "The tax imposed under this section shall not be treated as tax." Yes, it really says that.
• Page 239: Bill will reduce physician services for Medicaid. Seniors and the poor most affected."
• Page 241: Doctors: no matter what specialty you have, you'll all be paid the same (thanks, AMA!)
• Page 253: Government sets value of doctors' time, their professional judgment, etc.
• Page 265: Government mandates and controls productivity for private healthcare industries.
• Page 268: Government regulates rental and purchase of power-driven wheelchairs.
• Page 272: Cancer patients: welcome to the wonderful world of rationing!
• Page 280: Hospitals will be penalized for what the government deems preventable re-admissions.
• Page 298: Doctors: if you treat a patient during an initial admission that results in a readmission, you will be penalized by the government.
• Page 317: Doctors: you are now prohibited for owning and investing in healthcare companies!
• Page 318: Prohibition on hospital expansion. Hospitals cannot expand without government approval.
• Page 321: Hospital expansion hinges on "community" input: in other words, yet another payoff for ACORN.
• Page 335: Government mandates establishment of outcome-based measures: i.e., rationing.
• Page 341: Government has authority to disqualify Medicare Advantage Plans, HMOs, etc.
• Page 354: Government will restrict enrollment of SPECIAL NEEDS individuals.
• Page 379: More bureaucracy: Telehealth Advisory Committee (healthcare by phone).
• Page 425: More bureaucracy: Advance Care Planning Consult: Senior Citizens, assisted suicide, euthanasia?
• Page 425: Government will instruct and consult regarding living wills, durable powers of attorney, etc. Mandatory. Appears to lock in estate taxes ahead of time.
• Page 425: Government provides approved list of end-of-life resources, guiding you in death.
• Page 427: Government mandates program that orders end-of-life treatment; government dictates how your life ends.
• Page 429: Advance Care Planning Consult will be used to dictate treatment as patient's health deteriorates. This can include an ORDER for end-of-life plans. An ORDER from the GOVERNMENT.
• Page 430: Government will decide what level of treatments you may have at end-of-life.

• Page 469: Community-based Home Medical Services: more payoffs for ACORN.
• Page 472: Payments to Community-based organizations: more payoffs for ACORN.
• Page 489: Government will cover marriage and family therapy. Government intervenes in your marriage.
• Page 494: Government will cover mental health services: defining, creating and rationing those services.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't forget tax $$$ paying for abortion.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
OK I'm calling Bullshit. I searched the section at page 425~430 for text supporting the wild assertions in your list:

• Page 425: More bureaucracy: Advance Care Planning Consult: Senior Citizens, assisted suicide, euthanasia?
• Page 425: Government will instruct and consult regarding living wills, durable powers of attorney, etc. Mandatory. Appears to lock in estate taxes ahead of time.
• Page 425: Government provides approved list of end-of-life resources, guiding you in death.
• Page 427: Government mandates program that orders end-of-life treatment; government dictates how your life ends.
• Page 429: Advance Care Planning Consult will be used to dictate treatment as patient's health deteriorates. This can include an ORDER for end-of-life plans. An ORDER from the GOVERNMENT.

Bullshit. page 425 et seq. says counseling to help you write your own advance directive is a covered service. That's not a radical concept! Here's a sample of the wording in the bill

effectively communicates the individual's preferences regarding life sustaining treatment and care desired by the individual

... Initiative for end of life.
Like it or not, some of us consider it a responsible act, and a kindness to our heirs, to advise others how to deal with our final illness. This concept is hard to face BUT IT IS NOT GOVERNMENT EUTHANASIA.

Bullshit!
Wherever you found that interpretation, the comments badly misinterpret WHAT IS ACTUALLY IN THE BILL. Pure scare propaganda.

I suggest that everyone go read the parts they are interested in, then let's discuss what's actually in the bill. NOT some propagandist's intentional misrepresentation.

And let's start a new thread for that, because this one is centered around the measures that liberal supporters consider useful to encourage getting the bill bassed.