• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking for 601 slave cylenders?

grizcty

Hello from Alaska!

I am looking to replace, at least the right side slave cylinder. (maybe both)
And also the master cylinders.
On my Model 601 Thiokol Rangemaster Serial # 194.

Having a real hard time making right hand turns.
It can be done by gunning the motor, and using every bit of my 250 lbs!
(even the grandkids, were wondering why we kept making left hand turns...) LOL

Neither parts shows any leakage, nor are low on fluid.

I have tried to cross reference to a Napa & Shucks part #, w/o much luck.
Finally gave up, due to my eyes hurting.

According to my parts manual.
The original Thiokol slave cylinder part # was 0622017
The original Thiokol Master cylinder part # was 0622015

Thanks, for any ideas.

Take care, be safe.
God Bless.
Chris - Alaska

grizcty

Hopefully, this picture comes through this time.

Take care, be safe.
God Bless.
Chris - Alaska

Attachments

• 601 Drivetrain.jpg
    601 Drivetrain.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 443

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure if these are the same cylinders that member Snowcat Pat remanufactures, but try sending him a PM or try his website.

If he can't help, try member Mainer. But be warned; Mainer may try to buy your 601 from you and, failing that, sneak on your property some night with a tow rope. :poke:

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
chris , I would check the brake band itself , or that the slave is not throwing as far. It sounds like a problem I had once . It wound up being the brake band broke where the pin pulls on it and spread , slowly lost the steering. Just an idea. :unsure:

grizcty

Bobcat
Thanks for the info.
I looked at Pats site , and his work looks like top quality.
Has anyone purchased them before?

"If he can't help, try member Mainer. But be warned; Mainer may try to buy your 601 from you and, failing that, sneak on your property some night with a tow rope."

Don't know Mainer, but you folks sound like a bunch of characters.
He better have a big wallet, as the cost of fuel to get up here is expensive!
We are STILL paying $5.65 a gallon!

Then, he has to get past the 450lbs of St. Bernard's??
If he can pass those hurdles, I guess he deserves the rig.
OOPS, (did I mention the shotgun)LOL

Take care, be safe.
God Bless.
Chris - Alaska

grizcty

Thiokol2track,

Are the bands adjustable?
If so, how do you check and adjust them?

Take care, be safe.
God Bless.
Chris - Alaska

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
yes , most, if not all, do. Yours are just under the cover . The adjuster nut should be closest to you , if you are looking at it from the back, and there will be a spring right in front of it. # 26. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• OC-15.jpg
    OC-15.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 422

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Bobcat
Thanks for the info.

Yup. SnoOps (Snowcat Operations) recently purchased a set and he rants and raves.....about them. :rolleyes:

Ends of the earth are not too far for Mainer! He is a bit if a wuss around dogs, though. I think he has cats. :glare: :poke:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes I now have two sets. One on a Super Imp and a DMC. Unbelievable quality. IF they are the right ones for your application then get them! YOU will Never regret it!

Bobcat
Thanks for the info.

"If he can't help, try member Mainer. But be warned; Mainer may try to buy your 601 from you and, failing that, sneak on your property some night with a tow rope."

Take care, be safe.
God Bless.
Chris - Alaska

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter

If he can't help, try member Mainer. But be warned; Mainer may try to buy your 601 from you and, failing that, sneak on your property some night with a tow rope. :poke:

I would think you may have a brake band problem but with that being said, you can buy the rebuild kits at automotive stores... I'll look to see if I can find the part info that a friend sent me.

...and when Bobcat talks about me trying to buy your 601... I think he's exaggerating a bit... I mean, it's more like I'm just trying to be like a nice Tylenol relieving a nasty headache... those 601's... so much hastle to find parts (I hear those cylinders are a nightmare to find parts for! :shifty:), and then there are those tracks... not wide enough to really be a snowcat...so happy to sink like a lead weight ... and that OC-15 differential... so overbuilt it's just like hauling a cord of wood with an 18-wheeler... let alone those darn brake bands! Sheesh! :mrgreen:

Where Bobcat IS right... is that, well, yea, I sort of like that model... I mean, if someone were interested in shedding some dead weight then, well, sure... something to talk about. :dizzy:

I did recently bring one down and over...nice journey...AK to ME. Have some joining the family from mid-west to ME in the next couple months. :whistling:
Just looking to make a happy home for some lonely cats seperated at birth (ok, labor took a few years in this case). :hide:

The harsh reality is that Bobcat "wants your precious"... he wants it and he wants it in his yard... next to his half dozen other cats... he's looking to satiate that 601 hunger! I'd look outside... some of the guys on this forum... have a seventh sense... ESPECIALLY Bobcat... I bet there's a rope going around your frame right now and one of his crew are cranking up that winch he had built in an acoustically insulated box for stealth extractions. :hammer: Bad Bobcat! Bad! :wink: Leave the kitty alone!

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
yes , most, if not all, do. Yours are just under the cover . The adjuster nut should be closest to you , if you are looking at it from the back, and there will be a spring right in front of it. # 26. Hope this helps.

While you're in there you may as well look at the brake band material to see how much is left... You can buy replacement material around but Boggie has this special home-brew stuff he had made for his world of cats. *However*, I think the authorities won't let it cross state lines given it's toxicity. :wink:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
<snip>
The harsh reality is that Bobcat "wants your precious"... he wants it and he wants it in his yard... next to his half dozen other cats... he's looking to satiate that 601 hunger!
<snip>

Ok, yeah, it's true. :hide:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Ends of the earth are not too far for Mainer! He is a bit if a wuss around dogs, though. I think he has cats. :glare: :poke:

I don't know about that... I try to keep the transport relatively local to no more than 7,000 miles. :punk: You have to do what you have to do to preserve history.

IMP

Site Supporter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is some good information from an old thread by snowcat pat

If it is Thiokol part #0622015 that cyl is NAPA #36067 (the 601/602 and the Spryte 1200-A also use this cyl). It uses the NAPA# 387 rebuild kit. The OEM master cyl has the casting milled away to clear lever forks, you could grind that area easily.
But there is another master cyl used on the Imp with two fill caps that I know nothing about.
-Pat

grizcty

Hello folks,

Been on the road for the last few days.
And was thinking about those brake bands.

And remembered, that I might just have a couple of new ones.
I am a world class, pack rack. (according to the rest of the family)
And made a heck of a purchase/trade a couple of years ago.
And got a truck load of new Weasel/track parts, still in boxes.

I am sure that I don't have the slave cylinders/masters.
I tried calling Crappa, and had no luck.
As he said he couldn't cross the #'s over.

"IF" it ever stops raining, I will try to remove the cover tomorrow.
And check the bands.

I need some sleep, will check back tomorrow.

Thanks folks.

Take care, be safe.
God Bless.
Chris - Alaska

If you live in or can travel to Anchorage then you will have good luck finding odd or old parts at Patson E A Parts & Equipment on the Glenn Hwy frontage road on the east side of Boniface. They have helped me with Bombardier, Thiokol and even Pisten Bully parts for years. If they don't have it they will probably know where to get it. Good Luck!

grizcty

Hello to the group.

I wanted to thank you folks, for all the great info.

I finally had chance to take the differential cover off.
And hopefully adjusted the bands properly.
Had the son in law bleed the masters, while I pulled the lats.

He then decided to tighten them to tight.
And, we all know what happens with brass fittings.

After driving 80 miles to get another fitting, before they closed for the weekend.

He replaced it. But decided to bend the hydraulic line a little too much.
Yep it broke! (Sometimes I wonder why it is not legal to shoot family members!)

I decided to have two new lines made up. And installed the last weekend. (just in case, stupidity struck again)

Seems like the left lat is still bleeding off, as it is not leaking fluid.
I guess a rebuild is next in line.

Take care, be safe.
God Bless.
Chris - Alaska

grizcty

Alaska Snow Cat,

Thanks for the info.

I have been dealing with the for years.
They are not cheap, but they are amazing at locating parts.
And when you really need the part.
They always seem to come through.

Made the mistake of taking the wife there before.
And she had to make the wise crack, of how our back yards looked the same.

I am still looking for replacement tires 6.70 X 15.
Any ideas?

I heard a rumor, that someone way down in Soldotna area, had a bunch stashed.

I the old F78's come close, in size.
But dont know of anyone who has tried them.

Chris - Alaska

I'm not familiar with the running gear of a 601 but there is a guy on Craigs List that has one for sale that he modified and put on Nodwell tracks. He may have a bunch of tires and axels from the 601? Another possible source for at least ideas is Alaska Machine between the Old Seward and New Seward Hwys on 74th. They completely restore Nodwells, Foremost and Bombardiers.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
That's one of Boggie's buds selling that rig. He's made many improvements but price is quite high. There's another 601 on Alaska craigs list that has been on there for a while... he wanted $13K originally I believe then $10K and finally got religion and dropped it to 7.5K. But, I think he had originally bundled it with a trailer so may have sold that... not sure. It looks to be pretty rough. In Palmer I believe.

grizcty

I emailed the fella with the modified rig, twice.
But, never got a response.
As for Alaska Machine, I have never dealt with them.
Are they honest?

grizcty

It seems, my other reply to Alaska Snow Cat vanished?

I sent a couple of emails replying to his Nodwell conversion, awhile back.
Never got a reply back.
Never had any dealings with Ak. Machine, are they honest?

grizcty

Mainer,

I am very familiar, with the 601 you a referring to.
Contacted the owner by email.
He gave me his #, and directions.

I went down and looked/ listened to the motor, & took pictures of it numerous times. (It needs quite a bit of work)

Never spoke to him in person.
I haggled with him, over the phone, for about a month.
He wanted to sell it, as a total package deal.
Ford truck, 601 & trailer. (I love my Ford trucks, but didn't need another)

Finally he called and said, he was leaving the state for a few months.
And we needed to make the deal by a certain date.
And I decided to buy the 601 & trailer, we agreed on price, date & time.
I drove the big truck down, to pay for it, load it up, & bring it home.
I thought the only thing that might keep me from buying it, would be a failed test drive.
I was wrong.
Arrived on time. and waited, and waited.
We waited for 3+ hours past the agreed time, in his driveway/yard.
He would not answer either phone #'s.
Finally, the war department had enough. (wife)

So, we ended wasting 10 hours doing the trip?
She is STILL mad over it.
I tell her, look at the bright side, at least we went out to dinner together. LOL

Rack it up to live & learn, I guess.
I don't think he really wants to sell it, but his girl friend wants it gone.
To this day he has never returned my calls.

As for him getting religion.....
I don't know.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
If you're still looking... I know of another 601 coming available end of this month... pics are coming but it's supposed to be a VERY nice condition unit... $10K asking. I'll consider it for the museum given I can get it dug out of Alaska for not too much cash with my shipper...and if I can negotiate it down to a proper Mainer price...maybe $7.5K for a nice condition unit. But, also think a locak AK'er should have first picks given most guys selling them up there want insane cash given the market. This guys I know has 3 so is ready to release one of his fleet. PM me if you're interested and I can send pics when I finally get them. I've found some crazy 601-owners wanting insane cash... wacky....even with moose-market opportunities the prices aren't fair...$25K, etc...

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
I emailed the fella with the modified rig, twice.
But, never got a response.
As for Alaska Machine, I have never dealt with them.
Are they honest?

Boggie knows him... Boggie?
Knowing what we know, I bet either Snotrans or Boggie sold him the original piece of kit before modified. ;)

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Boggie knows him... Boggie?
Knowing what we know, I bet either Snotrans or Boggie sold him the original piece of kit before modified. ;)

We have supplied parts to Ray at Alaska Machine in the past. We did not supply the Modified 601 to Richard he bought it off another friend of mine in
Alaska. The 601 Richard redid has a Bombardier diff in it now from a SV252
and Nodwell 8 tooth sprocket ( That we Produce)and the Nodwell 33 Track Bars we supplied some parts for that Machine. imagine I helped bring another 601 back from the grave. We have a few Machines stockpiled in Alaska do you want a 601 ?
We have supplied many machines to Alaska in the past new and old and also supply new parts to several sources in Alaska for the North Slope.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I don't know about that... I try to keep the transport relatively local to no more than 7,000 miles. :punk: You have to do what you have to do to preserve history.

OK, now I know you are stalking his poor 601... you were way past the 7,000 mile limit out in Dutch Harbor, that is right next to the "Ends of the Earth", so he is way inside your range...:brows:

grizcty

If you're still looking... I know of another 601 coming available end of this month... pics are coming but it's supposed to be a VERY nice condition unit... $10K asking. I'll consider it for the museum given I can get it dug out of Alaska for not too much cash with my shipper...and if I can negotiate it down to a proper Mainer price...maybe $7.5K for a nice condition unit. But, also think a locak AK'er should have first picks given most guys selling them up there want insane cash given the market. This guys I know has 3 so is ready to release one of his fleet. PM me if you're interested and I can send pics when I finally get them. I've found some crazy 601-owners wanting insane cash... wacky....even with moose-market opportunities the prices aren't fair...$25K, etc...

I am not too savvy, at this forum stuff.
I had to call one of my kids, to find out what PM meant.
So you folks are going to have give me some basic training. (just dont expect me to run, and do sit ups)

Alaskans in general, tend to ask/want way too much, when selling something.
Yep, including me.
But if you show them the green stuff, and want to barter.
The price seems to drop, pretty quick.
Unless, they are originally from Michigan, or Minnesota.
Those stubborn folks, seem to want your all your green stuff.
AND, your c/c limit!!

As for looking for another track rig, I am always looking...
So send me any pictures you might have.

I just spent almost $ 8000.00, on heating oil this week.
So if my wife sees me looking at something, for more then 2 seconds.
She threatens to castrate me. (she IS Irish/Blackfoot)
We call her Little foot, as she is only 4'11".

Question: You clowns, keep putting in those funny faces in your messages. How do you do get them, at the end of your sentences?

Hopefully this picture I added, wont get me booted, from the group.
But, it seems like there might be a few God fearing, gun toting, outdoor loving folks, in here besides me.

Attachments

• O Mama.jpg
    O Mama.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 208

grizcty

We have supplied parts to Ray at Alaska Machine in the past. We did not supply the Modified 601 to Richard he bought it off another friend of mine in
Alaska. The 601 Richard redid has a Bombardier diff in it now from a SV252
and Nodwell 8 tooth sprocket ( That we Produce)and the Nodwell 33 Track Bars we supplied some parts for that Machine. imagine I helped bring another 601 back from the grave. We have a few Machines stockpiled in Alaska do you want a 601 ?
We have supplied many machines to Alaska in the past new and old and also supply new parts to several sources in Alaska for the North Slope.

Are you in Alaska?
I am, ALWAYS looking.
And would love to see the pictures.
I would like to find/buy a 602 someday.

As for parts.
If you know were I could get a set of original side mirrors. (R&L same mirror)
I would buy them in a heartbeat, and it would make my day.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Looking for 601 slave cylinders?

Are you in Alaska?
I am, ALWAYS looking.
And would love to see the pictures.
I would like to find/buy a 602 someday.

As for parts.
If you know were I could get a set of original side mirrors. (R&L same mirror)
I would buy them in a heartbeat, and it would make my day.

We do not have any running 601's up there. what is running is a Bombardier J-5 Used for Moose Hunting along with a Bombardier Muskeg diesel 3 man cab
A Otter, A Weasel, A Bombardier Br 110 and a Br 100 plus

Not Really sure any would be for sale they do get use every year. My brother in law is up using some right now for hunting up close to hatcher pass area
and the winter machines are close to Willow

To answer you question we live in Minnesota.

Really got a kick out of the Alaska plate.

As for the Icons is messages I believe you have to enable Them

Hey, Mainer this icon is for you :beatdeadhorse5: