• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wanted: Trailer for 50ft Houseboat

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll be taking our Houseboat out of the water soon but I don't have a trailer. I looked at one last week, but it was to short. I would have to add 10ft or so to it.
Does anyone know of a houseboat trailer for sale that could handle a 50ft house boat? One with 12" I-beams would be great. I 'think' the houseboat weighs about 16 tons.

LarryRB

there are trailer home sales places just about on every major corner in Ohio,, they must have several trailer chassis about, which should work for you

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The axles usually come from the moble home places, but that is about it. The big I-beams used for the big boat trailers are much bigger than moble home frames. I've been calling marinas. Some say sure. Then I get there and they 'thought' it was big enough for a 50 ft .... :pat:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Where the hell do you find a launch ramp big enough for that trailer? Are you planning to take it to a marina with a sling crane to take it out? Sure sounds like you need a semi to pull that trailer, plus wide load permits on the roads.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Where the hell do you find a launch ramp big enough for that trailer? Are you planning to take it to a marina with a sling crane to take it out? Sure sounds like you need a semi to pull that trailer, plus wide load permits on the roads.

Got all that covered Dave, heres a little more detail ....

The Yacht club we joined has the ramp and a Mobile home 'Toter' (like a mini semi) that puts em in and pulls em out.
No plans to ever take the boat on the road. I just need to trailer it to pull it 200 yards from the river and store it in a shed the yacht club provides.
I have the option of borrowing a trailer and blocking up the boat, but I would feel better with a real trailer under it.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, could you buy the short trailer and have a welding shop add 10' to it?
Mike

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, could you buy the short trailer and have a welding shop add 10' to it?
Mike

I am considering that Mike. There is one above Wheeling WV (Rayland OH) that I could do exactly that with. I still have hopes of finding one ready to go as is.

If I found one made with the 12 or 14" I-beams I would not hesitate to get it and extend it.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a few pics of the one in Rayland OH. It is 42' long. The owner actually cut it down from 55'. The wheels are near the back so extending this one would not be an issue. But, the current owner also welded in the support braces and some other stuff. Rather ruff but cheap.
Please point out structual concerns if any ....

Attachments

• DSCF0141r.JPG
    DSCF0141r.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCF0142r.JPG
    DSCF0142r.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 289
  • DSCF0143r.JPG
    DSCF0143r.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 290
  • DSCF0145r.JPG
    DSCF0145r.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 289
  • DSCF0146r.JPG
    DSCF0146r.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 296
  • DSCF0140r.JPG
    DSCF0140r.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 293

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
some more pics (same trailer)

Attachments

• DSCF0150r.JPG
    DSCF0150r.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCF0156r.JPG
    DSCF0156r.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 276
  • DSCF0151r.JPG
    DSCF0151r.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCF0149r.JPG
    DSCF0149r.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 285
  • DSCF0148r.JPG
    DSCF0148r.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 287
  • DSCF0147r.JPG
    DSCF0147r.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 290

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It sure is nice to be able to take pics of anything you look at and have them to review later. I always notice things that I missed the first time.

....and 4 more:

Attachments

• DSCF0152r.JPG
    DSCF0152r.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 287
  • DSCF0153r.JPG
    DSCF0153r.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 291
  • DSCF0154r.JPG
    DSCF0154r.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 273
  • DSCF0155r.JPG
    DSCF0155r.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 270

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No pontoons, it's mostly flat on bottom with a big ole rudder and two Vdrives that sitck down in the back.

Attachments

• DSCF0030r.JPG
    DSCF0030r.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCF0032r.JPG
    DSCF0032r.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 294

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Sure is a nice boat to have to pick up off a busted trailer...

Those 3 axles are probaly rated for 7,500 lbs each (at most), times 3 = 22,500 lbs. A quick sketch shows the axles will be centered under 1/2 the load with the tongue carrying the other half. If the boat is 16 ton, that puts about 8 ton on the tongue. I'd suggest you reinforce that tongue - doesn't look capable of holding 8 ton...let alone pulling 16 ton up a hill.

My above suggestion is ONLY if it is going to be used as a yard trailer. If there is any thought of putting it on the road...please look for another trailer.

Best of luck,

Rick

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Rick. I passed on that trailer and moved on. The boat is up on skids. And I have a trailer I can use to put in next year. I have a guy at our boat club making me a trailer like the one I used to take her out. A very nice trailer. Make from I beams left over from bridge construction. Extra heavy duty. :thumb: So, it's costing me more bucks, but I'll be all set for the end of boating season next year.