• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Coffee with Oil & Butter?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Coffee with oil & butter?

Honestly I want to try this. I just don't want to clean the freaking blender every time I want a cup of coffee.

RECIPE:
Brew 1 cup (8 oz.) of coffee using filtered water, just off the boil, with 2 1/2 heaping tablespoons freshly ground Bulletproof® Upgraded™ Coffee Beans. (French Press is easiest.)
Add in 1-2 tablespoons Bulletproof® Upgraded™ Brain Octane™ to the hot coffee (It’s STRONG – start with 1 tsp. and work up over several days).
Add 1-2 tablespoons grass-fed, unsalted butter or ghee
Mix it all in a blender for 20-30 seconds until it is frothy like a foamy latte
-- Realize salted coffee is a crime. Do not do this with salted butter.​

VIDEO HERE => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YjLMdx3YZY

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have coffee with ~ 1 tablespoon of virgin unrefined Coconut oil and ~1 tablespoon of heavy cream every day (right now actually). Basically it is my breakfast. About 3 cups of that and I'm full and caffeinated.

Tastes awesome and the fat fills you up. No need to blend - just stir with a spoon before blending.

Butter is good but the Coconut Oil is better - it has MCT's (maybe not as much as the Bulletproof dude's super refined MCT oil - but he is marketing a product). The coconut oil also has a coconut sweetness to it.

I've done the heavy MCT oil and don't find it to be all that great - it can make you a little warm/flushed and if you take too much it will make you poop. ;)

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
To heck with you both. I just want a cup of pure, unadulterated coffee in the morning. No bullcrap in it. You got that. Right. :biggrin:

Ah, that's better. I just had my first mouthful of coffee and feel much, much better now. Now what were you saying about coconut milk and stuff? :yum:

Before someone asks, yes, I am that cranky in the morning before coffee. I'm not the world's best conversationalist. Once I get that first sip, I'm a whole different person. Two cups and I'm almost human. :)

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Frank ... normally I say that I like my coffee like I like my women. Hot, black & bitter.

But I have to admit that I pull through the Starbucks window and get a Soy Caramel Macchitto(sp?) often enough that I'd be hard pressed to give it up for Lent. So trying this oil/butter blend actually sounds interesting. I ordered a small bottle of the Bulletproof oil stuff, just to give it a try. I think I can find plenty of unsalted butter at home, not sure if it is grass fed or corn fed, but I'm not really sure that matters too much. Oh and I'll use my regular coffee too.

PB .... I have no trouble pooping in the morning so I'll take it easy on the oil.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm not saying that it might not be good however it seems like more work than I would want to go through to make a cup of coffee.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not saying that it might not be good however it seems like more work than I would want to go through to make a cup of coffee.

The Big Brown Truck stopped off at the house today just before lunchtime. I got a box of K-Cup "Bulletproof" coffee and I got a bottle of their "Bulletproof" MCT oil, which they claim is not only flavorless, but also stronger than coconut oil.

Our blender has individual blender cups, so I put a tablespoon of the oil, a pat of un-salted butter, and then brewed a cup of the coffee directly into blender cup. Blended it up and drank it.

Honestly it was pretty good. And I feel somewhat energized too. Not sure if that is the coffee? The Oil? Or the butter? I'll be making this part of my morning routine, at least until I run out. Somewhere during that time I'll decide if I want to continue it. But I'm giving it a try.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just made another cup of this "bulletproof" coffee.

I have a Ninja blender with "blender cups" for small portions. Brew some coffee directly into the blender cup, already had oil and butter in the cup. Put on the blender lid, screwed it down as tight as I could get it, coffee spewed out. Does that every frickin' time. But the coffee actually tastes really good with the oil & butter blended into it. Some people use Coconut oil, it adds a bit of flavor. I am using unflavored oil.

Honestly it gives you a nice energy boost. Not sure why. There are conflicting theories on this coffee. Some say its hype, at least as far as the weight loss claims. I like it for the energy and I seem to get a bit more boost from this coffee. But I'm using "bulletproof' brand coffee and that may just have more caffeine.

In any case, I am enjoying it. And I wouldn't drink it if I didn't enjoy the taste.

http://www.boston.com/health/2014/0...ead-creamer/MzlwH673Xfc8wAXE1VzeIO/story.html

Skip the creamer with coffee tomorrow morning and try a different kind of dairy product: butter.

Not just any type of butter though. We’re talking about adding one tablespoon of grass-fed unsalted butter, then whipping it up into a frothy latte-like beverage. Why? Because apparently everybody’s doing it. Drinking butter coffee is one of the latest java trends by a certain niche of coffee lovers and dieters, the most common of which follow the Paleo diet.

According to Allison Nichols, a holistic health and nutrition counselor and founder of Frisky Lemon Nutrition, the type of butter added matters.

“It’s not just any butter in your coffee, it’s that high quality grass-fed butter that has the most nutrients,” Nichols told Boston.com.

“I would encourage people to use the highest quality products they can afford,” she said. “I see it as a supplement to a healthy lifestyle that based on high quality fats and on getting fat soluble vitamins.”

Butter coffee is also delicious, Nichols added.

“It doesn’t change the taste of the coffee, it just cuts out the bitterness of the coffee like cream does,” she said.

Local coffee shops—even high-end ones—don’t honor that “spoon of butter” request, but that doesn’t mean you can’t BYO‘B’.

However, some diet experts warn coffee drinkers to be cautious about the nutritional claims.

“I’m not aware of any evidence showing that grassfed butter is more nutritious,” said Keith Ayoob, pediatric nutritionist and dietician at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

“There’s no difference. All butter is cream with the water taken out.”

Some drinkers are even going so far as making the coffee Bulletproof. The Bulletproof brand was created in 2010 by Dave Asprey, a Silicon Valley entrepreneur who helped butter coffee grow in popularity in the US. Asprey “learned about the power of butter” while hiking in Tibet. While there, he was served yak butter tea and learned about its purported nutritional value.

Unlike regular coffee that can leave you hungry a few hours later, butter coffee apparently leaves you feeling full longer, Asprey told FOX News.

However, Asprey’s Bulletproof coffee takes it a step further. His branded recipe calls for adding medium chain triglycerides —or MCT—oil to get additional nutritional benefits, he says. Asprey sells the MCT oil on his website.

Some studies suggest that MCTs help with food digestion and as a way to decrease body fat and increase lean muscle mass, but the findings have been conflicting. However, there’s no scientific proof that adding MCT oil or butter to coffee will provide these benefits.

According to Ayoob, Bulletproof coffee recipe is not as nutritious as the claims may suggest. Butter is high in calories and the recipe suggests the drink is an added 200 calories.

“Yet the claim is that it’s helping with weight loss,” he said. “You’re better off spending those calories in a different way.”

Ayoob suggested using milk powder, which offers calcium and protein not provided with butter.

Butter is also high in cholesterol and saturated fat so should be consumed in moderation. Also, coffee is an added breakfast item, not a meal replacement, which some people have claimed to do with butter coffee.

“At breakfast time, you need protein,” said Ayoob. “I’d rather see someone get 200 calories of protein rather than this drink.”

“If you like the taste, that’s fine. Just make sure you have the calories to spare,” he said.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Been drinking the BULLETPROOF coffee most morning with the "Bulletproof Upgraded Brain Octane Oil" which is their brand of MCT oil and BUTTER blended into the coffee. I'll admit also that most mornings its made with regular FOLGER's brand coffee rather than the K-Cups of the BULLETPROOF coffee that I bought. Typically because we go through a pot of coffee most mornings so its just easier to brew up the Folgers.

I like the taste. I would probably prefer a Starbucks Caramel Macchiato over this stuff, but I don't have a Starbucks stand in my kitchen to provide me their drink.

I'm also not convinced the MCT oil, of which I have been using the strongest variety that has 18-times the potency of Coconut oil but zero flavor, increases my brain's cognitive abilities, as is claimed on the bottle. It may be doing some good, probably is not harming my body, so I'll keep it up . . . at least until the 16-oz bottle is empty. If I notice that my brain is growing like the villain in the GREEN LANTERN comic book series then I may stop sooner. Or if I notice that my mental agility is sharper (could that actually happen?) then I may buy another bottle. But as for the MCT oil additive, meh.

MCT oil = Medium Chain Triglycerides