• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My "Happy Place" bird story

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
This took place in Panama last year when we were at our place on the island : Enjoy !Its one of my favorite happy stories!

My wife has always wanted to put out Humming bird feeders and we were not able to locate any in Panama , so we bought a couple down from the states on our last trip . The effect was amazing and within days she was filling the 2- 32oz feeders twice a day and we were seeing hundreds of humming birds each day . The caretakers we have working on the place had never seen anything like it and would just stare as the humming birds surrounding the feeders . Sooner or later it was bound to happen and a couple birds got inside the house when the screen doors were open . It took quite a while to catch them as our cieling in the main room are 19 feet high at the peak . The poor little birds would fly until they were exhausted and then fall to the floor or furniture where my wife would gently catch them , give them some water , let them rest and release them back outside .
My one caretaker had told me that their "Bugle" Indian belief was that if you touched a wild bird the Boa snake would come and eat it that night and it would die . He was serious .
He told me the only way to save the bird was to spit on it before releasing it .
Again he was serious . Being a honorary "Bugle chief" of the tribe I wanted to desperately honor their beliefs .

So the next day this little Humming bird gets in the house and falls right into the damn sink full of soap water . My wife grabs it , cleans it all up and blows air on it to get its feathers to dry .
Yea ... you know whats comming......
So she hands me the bird without knowing anything about the Indian belief . I gently hold the bird while Genaro , my caretaker, looks on and I hock up a big wad of spit and let it fly , right on the bird .Genaro nodding in agreement .
My wife went ballistic and yelled "what the hell was I doing"!!! . I am trying to explain and Genaro is backing up looking for a quick exit . The little bird now has a wad of spit hanging off his beak and he don't look any to happy . It took 10 minutes to get her calmed down and the bird cleaned up for his return to the wild .We still laugh about it every time we see hummingbirds .

Just in case you thought I made the whole story up :

Attachments

• 2009 Panama 102.jpg
    2009 Panama 102.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 137

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was putting the winch on my quad, I had lifted it enough so I could lay my big ass down and work on the mounts under the front end. We leave our macaws out of the cage when we're around. Harley (one of our blue and golds) casually started walking around on the floor and I really thought nothing of it. When he saw me laying on the floor, he walked over to me and I said to him "What's up Harley". He looked at me, cocked his head and said "what'cha doin". I still have the scar on my head!