• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Who here likes Kim Chi ????

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I know I do . Especially the spicy style .I love the crunch when you bite down . Anyone ever tried it in a green salad ?? I wonder how that would taste .I may have to give that a try .
I know its good for you and since I am walking away for fatty foods and such , it just seems to be a good addition to my new foods I am exploring .
I hated cabbage as a kid but as I grow older Sauerkraut and Kim Chi have really climbed up on my list of enjoyable foods .:smile:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Fresh cabbage, saute'd in butter and Cocconut oil, a dash of red and black pepper and some salt. Yum...

Kim Chi I like as well if I remember the Gas X as it really tends to bring on the flatulence.. Same with the Kraut.

So stay upwind of me!

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Big fan of cabbage here, Kim Chi is a good option, but being from Eastern European blood, I prefer cabbage sautéed in butter with onions.

Leni

Then you would like a recipe for stuffed cabbage rolls with sauerkraut and kielbasa.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I like cabbage just about any way one could prepare it. And...it is really good for you.

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not familiar with it as something that you would eat... Veterans of the Korean war had a phrase "deep kemshe", as you're in deep kemshe now! Meaning deep trouble, or deep shit!

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I love the stuff and make it then keep a large pickle jar filled with it year around. It is fairly easy to make but takes some time. I like a lot of different slaws especially those with some bite. Kim Chee also goes well as a topping on some sandwiches in place of Sauerkraut in some instances..

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
My wife makes really good sauerkraut, but has not tried making Kimchi. How much more is involved in making Kimchi?

Leni

Sounds good, so ... where's the recipe?!? :ermm:

My Hungarian MIL did not write it down. So far as I know she used a meat loaf type of recipe. I do the same except I don't put eggs into it.

1 1/2 pound ground meat
1 medium green cabbage
1 or 2 kiebasa sausage
1 jar sauerkraut
1 lg can tomatoes
1 medium can tomato sauce

Mix whatever is your choice with the ground meat. I add in onion, garlic, salt and pepper and whatever fits my fancy that day.

I core the cabbage and put it into the microwave to soften it. I pull off the softened leaves and nuke again as needed to get more sofened leaves. I slice the large rib down a bit on the larger leaves so it will form a roll more easily.

Cut the sausage into bite sized pieces.

Put the meat mixture into the cabbage leaf and make a roll with it tucking in the ends. Make a layer of them on the bottom of a casserol pan. Scatter the sausage across the top. Layer the sauerkraut with the juice on top Add the canned tomatoes with their juice and the tomato sauce.

Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven until done, about 45 minutes.

A good side dish is boiled potatoes smashed with butter. I like to add chives. Add in a good loaf of bread with butter and you are in business. Soak up the meat juices with the bread.

This usually makes dinner for us for three nights. There will be cabbage, tomatoes, and sauerkraut left over. I'm thinking that it would make a nice soup or stew with more meat added.

Umberto

I just got a quart of kimchee at H-Mart the other day and will have some for dinner tonight. I'm spoiled with all the good Asian grocery stores in the area.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I love the stuff and make it then keep a large pickle jar filled with it year around. It is fairly easy to make but takes some time. I like a lot of different slaws especially those with some bite. Kim Chee also goes well as a topping on some sandwiches in place of Sauerkraut in some instances..

I have used it on hot dogs and it's great. I love it spicey.

I like all cabbage, but kraut does something to me inards. :sad:

Umberto

I have used it on hot dogs and it's great. I love it spicey.

I like all cabbage, but kraut does something to me inards. :sad:

There is an Asian hotdog stand on Gerrard in Vancouver had kimchee with hotdogs and sorry I didn't try one now but one can only eat so much a day. I know it was a busy stand.

I'll get some good hot dogs and give it a try.

Kraut, always kills my innards, but love it with roast pork in the CZ method.