• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How steep will a snowcat climb ???

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok ....
We all have read the brochures about the climbing abilities of some snowcats .:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

My Kristi KT7 brochure says it will even walk across the ceiling, like a spider, if need be ...:yum:

So really ... What is the steepest slope you have climbed in a snowcat ??? I am not talking about going downhill, as it could be over a cliff but gravity will take over and eventually send you to the bottom .:pat:

I'm talking about going up .Really up ! I know that weight and balance plays a terrific part of this . Some of you are very experienced snow cat operators with hundreds and thousands of hours behind the wheel ,so you are who I want to hear from . Can you give me an idea ,based on degrees of slope ???

I did see a Snow Master video of Lyndon's old Snow Trac going down and then turning around and going back up the steepest most unimaginable "God Awful" ravine I ever saw . If I had not seen the video ,I would not have believed it possible .

If there is anything out there that can out preform that SnowTrac , I would pay money just to watch .

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
SEE "Climbing Ability"! elsewhere here at the Forum. At a ski area in Vermont that is now out of business, called Hogback Mountain, there was this phone line right of way that ran down thru the woods that wasn't really part of the Ski Area. Anyway we used to ski down it anyway and I broke a set of skiis there. They eventually started roping it off and had a sign prohibiting skiing there. But periodically the rope would get knocked down from some 'hot dogger' skiing under it and then a bunch of skiiers would pour down it until they put the rope back up. On one such ocasion a guy fell and had a serious injury, either dislocated or broke something, anyway the ski patrol were there and we were right behind the ski patrol. One of the ski patrol was saying to the other:" bring a streecher, we wont be able to get the cat in here", another ski patrol chimed in:" The Kristy could make it" pretty quickly the Kristy was there and they had the rope back up blocking off the trail, not long after that here comes the Kristy out the lower end of the Phone Right of Way with the injured skiier.

Southtowns27

I would regularly drive a PB300 up and down a 33* ski slope with little difficulty. Once in awhile if the snow was just right, it would break traction going down hill. All you can do then is hold on and go for the ride. Of course you can always put the blade down to stop you, but what fun would that be?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Lyndon said:
The Kristy could make it" pretty quickly the Kristy was there and they had the rope back up blocking off the trail, not long after that here comes the Kristy out the lower end of the Phone Right of Way with the injured skiier.

Ok . Since you were there and you were the one in that video I watched at your house last year , Was it as steep as what the Snow Master climb up ??? That would give me a pretty good idea of what a Kristi KT3 can do .

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
No, it was a totally different situation. This Phone Right of Way was narrow, winding and had phone poles in the middle of it. It crossed at least 2 streams ( one of wich is where I broke my Ski a year earlier). I don't believe anything but a Kristi could have navigated that teraine. This thing was steep and only 8 feet wide!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Lyndon said:
No, it was a totally different situation. This Phone Right of Way was narrow, winding and had phone poles in the middle of it. It crossed at least 2 streams ( one of wich is where I broke my Ski a year earlier). I don't believe anything but a Kristi could have navigated that teraine. This thing was steep and only 8 feet wide!

Very Interesting . Now all I want to do is hurry up and get done so I can go try mine . I assume that was a KT3 Kristi that you were talking about .
Off Subject, but do you still own any snowcats ,Lyndon ????
PS : I really enjoy your stories you posted . :thumb:

ewolf1951

Hey Lyndon, Tell the story of the snow master in Alaska climbing the frozen waterfall I don't recall all the details but it would be interesting to hear it again ED

teledawg

Hi, new member here and prospective new owner of Snow Trac #163. I have a question for all of you veteran Snow trac operators.

Will a stock Snow Trac climb a 25% prolonged grade in soft snow with a load? The climb is on a trail to my property and varies from 15% to 25% over 500 vertical feet. There can be up to 4 feet of powder on this hill.

Thanks, Fred

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
A Snow Trac should have no problem even in deep snow pulling a trailer. Just make sure that the Temp guage is working correctly and that you don't overheat the engine. It may be slow if that machine has one of the smaller, early engines. You may find yourself wanting to up grade to a 1600 CC motor if it hasn't already been done. Buy the serial number it would have had an early 1200 (40 HP) or even an 1100 (36 HP). In either case it won't be enough to go very fast.

teledawg

A Snow Trac should have no problem even in deep snow pulling a trailer. Just make sure that the Temp guage is working correctly and that you don't overheat the engine. It may be slow if that machine has one of the smaller, early engines. You may find yourself wanting to up grade to a 1600 CC motor if it hasn't already been done. Buy the serial number it would have had an early 1200 (40 HP) or even an 1100 (36 HP). In either case it won't be enough to go very fast.

It looks like ol' #163 does have the 1,600cc engine. It was upgraded somewhere along the way.

However, it does not have a temp guage. What would you reccommend for a temp guage so I can keep an eye on it while climbing the hill?

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
<snip>
However, it does not have a temp guage. What would you reccommend for a temp guage so I can keep an eye on it while climbing the hill?

Ditto for Kristi KT-3 SN 00145. If I'm going to have to tow Snow-Tracs up hill, I may need to watch my temperature as well! :yum:
I would guess we could just tear one out of a junkyard VW?

All Content Copyright K.R.I.S.T.I. - Kristis Rescuing Impotent Snow-Tracs, International

Last edited:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ditto for Kristi KT-3 SN 00145. If I'm going to have to tow Snow-Tracs up hill, I may need to watch my temperature as well! :yum:
I would guess we could just tear one out of a junkyard VW?

All Content Copyright K.R.I.S.T.I. - Kristis Rescuing Impotent Snow-Tracs, International
Bob, no need to upset the guard dogs and old guy who protect the junkyard when you are searching for suitable parts while trying to upgrade your Kristi.

Your particular Kristi probably has a temperature gauge mounted outside the cabin. It should be held on with duct tape or liquid nails. It will accurately read the exterior temperature of your vehicle. See Photo #1

If you need to know the temps inside your Kristi, See Photo #2, then the gauges that dangle from your key fob will work just fine for you. These are pretty high tech devices, but I'm sure a 5th grader can teach you how to work one. Some of the really nice units have both a compass and a thermometer mounted on them! :tiphat:

But to test when your engine is cooked, special modern digital thermometers are best: See Photo #3.

In fact, for safety you might want one of each. I'm sure that should be sufficient for your needs. :moon:

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 590
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 578
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    168.3 KB · Views: 562

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
All the VDO replacement Guages and approiate senders are available from VW Shops as well as thru VW Magazines. You can get the correct size as well as the matching style to the original OEM one's on your machine. The "Dipstick" oil sender is still available from VW specialty restoration shops but I recomend the fixed ones that add on to where the existing oil pressure switch is. If you get them thru the VW magazines they will be half the price of your local VW Shop. Make sure to purchase a "Y" or "T" fitting to add in the additional sender. Keep the "Idiot Light"( Oil Pressure Switch that runs the green indicator on the dash and make it operational). The Oil pressure GUAGE sender is available in a DUAL, Pressure/Switch Sender. I recomend ALL. Idiot light, Pressure Guage and Temperature Guage as this is a very critical function on a VW Air cooled engine.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
<snip>
I recomend ALL. Idiot light, Pressure Guage and Temperature Guage as this is a very critical function on a VW Air cooled engine.
As usual, a very concise and informative post by Lyndon, only outdone by his stories. Can't believe he's a Snow-Trac owner! :respect:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
All the VDO replacement Guages and approbate senders are available from VW Shops as well as thru VW Magazines. You can get the correct size as well as the matching style to the original OEM one's on your machine. The "Dipstick" oil sender is still available from VW specialty restoration shops but I recomend the fixed ones that add on to where the existing oil pressure switch is. If you get them thru the VW magazines they will be half the price of your local VW Shop. Make sure to purchase a "Y" or "T" fitting to add in the additional sender. Keep the "Idiot Light"( Oil Pressure Switch that runs the green indicator on the dash and make it operational). The Oil pressure GUAGE sender is available in a DUAL, Pressure/Switch Sender. I recomend ALL. Idiot light, Pressure Guage and Temperature Guage as this is a very critical function on a VW Air cooled engine.

VW Oil Senders With T Fittings
P6080004.JPG
VDO Gauges In My Tracmaster
Snow Master dash.jpg

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't forget I owned, drove and operated, (13) ST4's, (2) bombardier Muskeg Tractors, a neat little Bombi with a 5 man cab, (2) Tucker 443 steel tracs, a Tucker Kitten, a Kristi, (4) Snow Masters, a JD Lindeman, and an AMC Tracked Missle Loader, as well as having driven Nodwell, Foremost, B12's(Bombardier), Rolligon's and Haglunds, Late model Tuckers and Bombardier and Thiokol.Working in Alaska in the Arctic for 14 years might have something to do with it. Prior to that I had a dozen or more VW's andd half a dozen Porsches.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh,yes, it's May 3rd and we are experiencing an Arctic Blow right now. Supposed to last for 3 day's.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe after I finish shoveling the drift to get into my office. I shoveled it about half an hour ago and it's already drifted back in.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Spring? We've heard about it, seems to happen more in the SOUTH, like "The Lower 48"
storm5 002.jpg

storm5 003.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WOW :eek:
Where bouts are you in Alaska?
Is this normal weather for you?

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
As Far North as you can get, on land. We could actually drive to the North Pole from here, but it's about 800 Miles over the frozen Beaufort Sea(Arctic Ocean), we do drive as much as 10 miles out to sea on 'sea ice roads' on a daily basis. The frozen ocean is about 500 yards from my office. Do a sattellite scan and punch in Prudhoe Bay, or Barrow Alaska. Thats where I am.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is really up there. So, how much daylight do you get now?

teledawg

All the VDO replacement Guages and approiate senders are available from VW Shops as well as thru VW Magazines. You can get the correct size as well as the matching style to the original OEM one's on your machine. The "Dipstick" oil sender is still available from VW specialty restoration shops but I recomend the fixed ones that add on to where the existing oil pressure switch is. If you get them thru the VW magazines they will be half the price of your local VW Shop. Make sure to purchase a "Y" or "T" fitting to add in the additional sender. Keep the "Idiot Light"( Oil Pressure Switch that runs the green indicator on the dash and make it operational). The Oil pressure GUAGE sender is available in a DUAL, Pressure/Switch Sender. I recomend ALL. Idiot light, Pressure Guage and Temperature Guage as this is a very critical function on a VW Air cooled engine.
Sorry my simple question started such a banter about Krisit vs. Snow Trac/Master... But it all seems to be in good fun. :pat:

Lyndon, very good info. :thumb: Thanks. It looks like you are talking about an oil temp guage. Would there be any merit in using a cylinder head temp guage too?

Here is a VDO oil temp guage and sender and a VDO cylinder head temp guage and sender. These are not the correct style though...

Thanks, Fred