• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Is This Censorship in the Making?

Cityboy

Banned
I'm suspicous any time the government injects itself into our communication channels, whether it be the left or the right, but especially from certain characters on the left. It looks to me like the pols are jockeying for some kind of controls over the internet. We had better be vigilant and watch every move the government attempts to make in any area affecting our First Amendment rights. This article set off alarm bells immediately. Look at the sponsors of the proposed bill on the last line of the article.

Discussion?

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=print_story&articleid=VR1117957029&categoryid=18

Democrats push 'Net neutrality

Internet Freedom Preservation Act is introduced

By WILLIAM TRIPLETT

WASHINGTON -- Democrats, who all but sank major communications reform legislation in the previous congressional session over the issue of so-called 'Net neutrality, marked the first day of the new Congress by introducing a bill that will mandate 'Net neutrality, which is intended to guarantee the equal accessibility and flow of content over the Internet.

The Internet Freedom Preservation Act, sponsored by Sens. Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.) and Olympia Snowe (R-Maine), "would ensure that broadband service providers do not discriminate against Internet content, applications or services by offering preferential treatment," according to a statement by Dorgan.

Without a federal mandate for 'Net neutrality, Dorgan said, broadband providers could be "gatekeepers capable of deciding which content can get through to consumers, and which content providers could get special deals, faster speeds and better access to the consumer."

The bill "marks another step toward ensuring the fate of the Internet lies in the hands of its users and not the hands of a few gatekeepers," Snowe said in a statement. "The tide has turned in the debate between those who seek to maintain equality and those who would benefit from the creation of a toll road on the Internet superhighway."

Last year, the GOP-controlled Senate tried to move a massive communications reform bill that included changes to national video franchising rules. Democrats tried but failed to attach a 'Net neutrality amendment to the bill while still in committee. While some Republicans supported their effort, Democrats took the lead in threatening a filibuster should the bill come to a floor vote without any provisions for 'Net neutrality. As a result, the bill never made it to the floor.

Legislation requires broadband service providers to operate networks in a nondiscriminatory manner, while leaving them free to protect the security of the network or offer different levels of broadband connection to users.
Consumer groups hailed the bill. "This bill will help ensure that consumers will continue to enjoy the competitive and affordable services that broadband has brought them and that big telecommunications companies cannot use their networks to hinder consumers' access to those services," said Jeannine Kenney, senior policy analyst at Consumers Union, in a statement.

Opponents of 'Net neutrality say a federal mandate is a solution in search of a problem "that doesn't exist," said Peter Davidson, Verizon senior VP for federal government relations.

"Most policymakers will focus on how to increase broadband deployment, and wonder how 'Net regulation advances that goal," Davidson added. "It's ironic that this bill is introduced at the same time the Consumer Electronics Show is filling the news with broadband-enabled innovations. There is a disconnect between consumers' desires for new products and services and the stifling effects of this bill."

Both the Motion Picture Assn. of American and the Recording Industry Assn. of America declined to comment on the bill. Officials at the MPAA have said that member companies are still split over whether 'Net neutrality will be good or bad for business.

Co-sponsors of the bill include Dem Sens. John Kerry (Mass.), Barbara Boxer (Calif.), Tom Harkin (Iowa), Patrick Leahy (Vt.), Hillary Clinton (N.Y.) and Barack Obama (Ill.).
Read the full article at:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117957029.html

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
The internet providers have been strongly pushing the Republicans to give them more control over the internet, so they can charge you to go to certain sites. I believe that this bill is intended to eliminate that. I say that it should be left without any legislation for either side. Once you get legislation in place, it is a lot easier to amend it to be what you want, not what it was intended. Politicians don't care what the people want, they just want control.

Cityboy

Banned
Junkman said:
The internet providers have been strongly pushing the Republicans to give them more control over the internet, so they can charge you to go to certain sites. I believe that this bill is intended to eliminate that. I say that it should be left without any legislation for either side. Once you get legislation in place, it is a lot easier to amend it to be what you want, not what it was intended. Politicians don't care what the people want, they just want control.

Anytime politicians get involved it concerns me. I say leave the net alone and let the free market sort itself out. Government does few things with competency, so they need to leave the net to the users. Anytime there is a bill proposed with a stated purpose, you always have to watch for ulterior motives buried in the mouse type that will come back to haunt us.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I will accept that a lot of people don't like Common Cause, but I feel that it is better to know the enemy, than to stick your head in the ground and not learn what they are about. Here is a email that I just got, concerning this matter.....

MySpace has censored our ad about the dangers of media consolidation.

Common Cause members have already sent tens of thousands of messages to the FCC - but in this final week before the deadline, we wanted to advertise on high-traffic websites to recruit new activists. Outrageously, MySpace told us that they "won't allow that to be shown." (The ad we submitted is below.)

Maybe MySpace doesn't want the word getting out about proposed changes to the ownership rules because they themselves are owned by a media conglomerate. In 2005, MySpace was gobbled up by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., which also owns Fox.

Their refusal proves our point: Big Media has too much control over what the public hears, sees and watches -- and we need to let the FCC know it.

While MySpace's decision is disappointing, there is still time to tell the FCC 'no more media consolidation' . But we need to move fast, and we need your input.

1. Go to CommonBlog and vote for the sites where you think we should place our ad. Time is short; we need to get this together in the next 24 hours.

2. If you are a MySpace user, put our ad up on your own Myspace page, or on any other website or blog you are active with.

3. Make a financial contribution. The more money we raise, the more outreach we can conduct. We need to show the FCC how important this issue is to the public.

Thank you for everything you do.