• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

BMI - (Body Mass Index)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dutch brought it up in the Diabetes thread but I thought we should open a new thread instead of taking that one off subject.

Using the following, compute your BMI.
http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Personally, I think it's somewhat of a crock...

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
The problem with the BMI is that it doesn't take into account muscle mass. So you can be a totally muscle bound guy with no bodyfat and still be deemed overweight.

It's value is that when generally applied to the average person it gives a good quick measure. It is not going to be applicable to everyone.

Good medical advice and opinion should be metered with common sense and realistic views.

beds

I lost some wight last year and went down to 176 lbs and was still considered overweight according to these things. Agree that this is a general tool that people can't take too seriously or use as their only source of information.

Dutch-NJ

beds said:
I lost some wight last year and went down to 176 lbs and was still considered overweight according to these things. Agree that this is a general tool that people can't take too seriously or use as their only source of information.
What do we do if those are the "rules?"

My brother and I have very similar builds. When he enlisted in the military, he was a “skinny” 18 year old, 6'1" 200 pound kid.

After spending three combat tours in Viet Nam, he had bulked up to a muscular 220 pounds.

After discharge, he joined the National Guard.

Back then weight was calculated with height, frame, and age. After a few years of the “good life,” his weight climbed to 240 pounds. He had to loose 20 pounds to pass his physical.

Then the military changed the requirements. Height was suddenly the only thing that mattered. My brother was told to go down to 185 pounds or get out. He got out.

It seems funny that a 220 pound guy is good enough for cannon fodder, fighting in some stinkin’ jungle, but is too fat to guard his country at home.

How about insurance rates? Do you pay more for insurance because you're "overweight?"

Could that be just one more racket to scam our money?