• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1201B restoration

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice......... what a difference a little paint will do. you really have done a nice job on that machine. can't wait till its done. have you done anymore with the tracks yet?

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Great job on the tank :clap:

I'm looking forward to more progress pics from you :mrgreen:

scooterd

Nice......... what a difference a little paint will do. you really have done a nice job on that machine. can't wait till its done. have you done anymore with the tracks yet?

We just started cutting the grousers down to size. We are using a chopsaw with the carbide blade. It really works nice. The beauty of the carbide blade is no heat. The downside is the blades cost me 120 bucks apiece. I have no idea how long the blade will last, but I do know that it lasts a long time cutting chrome moly pipe. The tracks will still be 45" wide. Here's a picture of the donor cat coming home to Brainerd. We took the SS Badger ferry for something differant to do and to save a few miles. In the second picture, we are on the top deck looking down as someone backed my dually on the ship.

Attachments

• 006 (2).jpg
    006 (2).jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 728
  • 020 (2).jpg
    020 (2).jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 726
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 720

scooterd

We've been swamped at work, putting in 60 to 70 hours per week, so I have'nt had alot of time to work on the Spryte. I was finally able to hire some help, which gave us a little time to recouperate and work on the fun projects!

The rims were all sandblasted, primed and painted with epoxy. They really shine. It was time consuming because the tires are all foam filled and could not be removed from the rim. We taped around the rim once, and used a cut out tupperware lid with paper attached, to cover the tire. Hard to explain but you'll understand when you look at the picture!

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 535
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 537

scooterd

We also decided to rebuild the 200 Ford instead of using the 300. The 300 will go in the New Jersey Spryte.

The block was jet cleaned and bored .030. The rods were resized and one rod was replaced because it had a slight bend. The crank was turned .010/.010 and the head was planed to true it up. The valves were also ground.

The clutch and pressure plate have also been replaced as well as the transmission seals. (no pics yet)

Attachments

• 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 534
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 526
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 533

scooterd

Also working on the fuel tank brackets and hold downs. The corners need to be rounded and some holes drilled. Then they will be ready for paint. I'm going to polish the aluminum straps. The brackets and straps are 3" wide. There is rubber belting between the tank and bracket to prevent wear.

The side rails are just about done, but no pics yet.

Attachments

• 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 524

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Scott, very nice Work.............. I know what it started like very nice.....
hope you stay dry in the upcoming days...

scooterd

This is a little of what happened during the flood. There is more pics, but Redragtop didn't bring the camera in and it's raining. I'm not going back out! Flood pics to follow at a later date. I'm going to bed!

The bed rails are done and look great IMO! The motor is just about ready to fire, after I finish the wiring harness. More pics later. To date, we have won the flood battle, but the second crest is on its way. We squeaked by the 1st round by about 2 inches with a temporary dike and sand bags. Twelve semi loads of class five gravel and twenty pallets of sand bags. Working on the Spryte at night has been our escape. More to follow after some rest!:yum:I think we have become delirious! Who's idea was it to live in the bottom of a valley!:hammer:

Attachments

• floo 013.jpg
    floo 013.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 458

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Hope all is well with you and your loved ones. Floods really suck. We had a farm destroyed by a flood and the loss is devestating. God Bless.

scooterd

A few more pictures of the bed rails, brake/clutch lines, and motor. We are working on the hydraulic lines and the wiring now. I didn't like how they were routed, so I'll probably replace them also. They will be to short to reroute.

Has everyone had your exhaust custom bent or did you find a match at the local parts store?

Attachments

• flood 012.jpg
    flood 012.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 427
  • flood 011.jpg
    flood 011.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 428
  • flood 010.jpg
    flood 010.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 430
  • flood 005.jpg
    flood 005.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 425
  • flood 004.jpg
    flood 004.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 419
  • flood 002.jpg
    flood 002.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 421

scooterd

I need some ideas on how to preserve the bed. It is 3/4" plywood. I was thinking of using a spar varnish on the edges and bottom, and a roll on bed liner on the top. Any opinions or ideas?

scooterd

It's seven ply, green treated. Some of the green treated I have is only four ply. I bought 200 sheets at auction in 1999! $1.50/sheet. :biggrin: Will bed liner stick to the green treated?

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Excellent work :clap::clap: The engine is beautiful !!!!!
It's pretty exciting when things start going together instead of coming apart :smile:

Thin some exterior varnish for the bed and plan on several coats working up to unthinned. Bed liner might eat this, though ?

I had an exhaust bent using the existing pipe/muffler as a model. It didn't come out very well but that was OK cause I wanted to have a section of stainless flexy stuff somewhere between the engine and the muffler mounts on the cab. It worked out well because of the flexy section.

It's seven ply, green treated. Some of the green treated I have is only four ply. I bought 200 sheets at auction in 1999! $1.50/sheet. :biggrin: Will bed liner stick to the green treated?

I used treated plywood on the deck of my wooden tugboat and the Linex marine product used on boats and docks stuck fine.
FWIW - I was told by the Linex dealer that the US Navy uses a Linex product on the decks of their submarines.

scooterd

Thanks for the comments and input. I'll check into the Linex products. I hope to find something that will look good and last for a few maintenance free years!

I have one good exhaust. We may need two. I could run it, or save it for a pattern. Without doing any research on the exhaust part #'s, I would guess that it's off a late 60's econoline or something of that sort! Anyone know for sure? I'll dig out the old books and see if I can figure it out.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey old timers,

What ever happened to this build.?

this guy was doing a bang up job. Found while searching for rivets.

Im am repairing a little body work and decided that AN470A-6-7
which is a: 3/16x7/16 solid aluminum universal head rivet
Sound right?