• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Track belting

meanjean

Hey ya'all!

Does anyone have any idea as to where to purchase some track belting for a SW-48 ? I want to add 12" to my width on each side so the the machine will "float" better in deep snow. The existing belting is 1/2" thick, but I do not know the ply or the material used to make the tracks (PVC, Nitrile, etc). Conveyor belting??? Any suggestions??? Thanks!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if you go with an asemetrical track you will have to add some grouser extentions every other grouser than leave some slack in the between the grousers so you don't stress the the main track belts google up cushman trackster waffle track to understand what i'm talking about always thaught about doing the same thing with my snow trac kind of a poormans snowmaster but it seems to work fine as it is

meanjean

Not sure how to go about with this project. The right way to do it would be to add the same width to both side, not just one. Hmmm... Wish I could see some pictures of someone who has gone though with widening a SW_48. Would it be worth it in the end??? Thoughts anyone???

The Anchorage Snowmobile Club had a SW48 donated to them from the City of Anchorage and they widened the tracks asymmetrically by replacing the existing grousers with regular old angle iron. I didn't think it would hold up but it worked great and they drove the heck out of it for several years before getting out of the grooming business. Asymmetrical tracks are common through out the grooming industry and are found on almost all snowcats designed for grooming. As far as belting , do a search in this forum as many people have rebuilt their tracks with all sorts of readily available belting, including conveyor belting. Tons of information.

As a side note, I think the SW48 would make an excellent groomer if a person replaced all the axels with wider ones and threw in an extra one to extend the length and then go to a smaller bogie like a 5.30x12. All the parts are readily available at most trailer supply stores. Then all you have to do is find a set of tracks like I did the other day at a Ritchi Brothers auction. $200!

Don't get me wrong, I think the stock set up works good for most folks but it is not ideal for deep snow or steep hills.

meanjean

Any idea as to how wide the went (Anchorage Snowmobile Club)? Also, presently, I have 2 - 4" wide track belts per side, so I am wondering how much more belting I should add. I was thinking in the widening of at least 12" and adding that much more belting. That should give me the float that I am looking for. Basically, not to sink when the snow is deep!!! If you search for a Bombardier BR 110 on the site, you will see a yellow one that was widened; it is basically a SW-48 with a wide footpath, but the belting remains narrow??? That's why I am looking at an additional 12" of belting, on top of the existing 4" wide belts on the machine.

meanjean

This is what I am after.... A BR110

6735b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

meanjean

Hey! I tried a few times to contact you, but to no avail. How much do you have? Is it 1/2" thick? I would be looking for approx. 36'. Let me know. Thanks.