• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Flea's are terrible here...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Out door pets are scratching madly here.. :unsure:

as well as our indoor pooch a snoodle named Daisy..

The vet's office says this is the worse year for flea's they have ever seen. We have flea powder, shampoo, carpet dust, and a spray as well.. I haven't tried flea collars yet...

Frontline, and other systemic skin products help, but until there is a hard freeze, (two weeks overdue :hammer:) the pets keep getting re-infested. So says the vets office anyway..

Anyone else here experiencing this crap? :hammer:

If so what do you think is the best anti flea product you know of..

I need help!

Regards, Kirk

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Not me, part of the flea cycle I believe is it has to do with them breeding in wet grass/ground. It's so dry here it doesn't seem to be much probably even for the outside cats.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not me, part of the flea cycle I believe is it has to do with them breeding in wet grass/ground. It's so dry here it doesn't seem to be much probably even for the outside cats.

Well it has been awfully wet here most of the summer. That would explain why there seem to be so many. I heard a local here swear that he could see a cloud of them while mowing his lawn.

Regards, Kirk

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, absolutely terrible here as well.

Flea shampoos help for about a day or 2.
Same with the sprays.

Precor Plus IGR fogger (for indoors) works well but plan on using it twice.

Fipronil (in the tubes that you put the contents between the dogs shoulder blades) works OK but it doesn't prevent the fleas. It just kills them if they bite.

We had one hard frost last week which helped but I can still see the dog scratching.

Kane

Homemade Flea Dip for Dogs and Cats

When it comes to protecting your pets from fleas or ridding a current infestation, it might help for you to try a flea dip on your pet.

Homemade flea dips are an inexpensive and safe alternative to cheap over-the-counter products that would have you dipping your pet in chemicals. By the end of this article, you’ll know how to make your own safe, effective flea dip.

If you are looking for a homemade flea dip that will not only repel and kill fleas, but will also protect your furry family member from dangerous chemicals and pesticides, consider picking up a few lemons the next time you are at the grocery. Lemon is a natural repellant to fleas and contains a chemical, called limonene that kills fleas on contact.

Instructions

To make this homemade flea dip:
1.Bring a large saucepan full of water to a boil.
2.Cut up 1-2 lemons into slices or rinds and add them to the hot water.
3.Turn off your stove and allow the pot to sit overnight and steep like tea.
4.In the morning, pour the water in the pot into a container such as a pitcher, large cups or even a spray bottle.
5.Saturate your pet thoroughly with you homemade flea dip and allow him to air-dry.

Before the application of the homemade flea dip, use a mild, natural flea shampoo on your pet. This will help provide a base to the flea dip and kill many of the fleas or impair them before you start the flea dip application.

Make sure that you apply the lemon flea dip all over, including the belly, the tail and their “armpits” since these are two areas where fleas love to hang out. However, take special precaution around their head as lemon is likely to burn if you spray it anywhere near their eyes or if they have irritated ears or other ear problems.

Allow the lemon mixture to dry and do not rinse out. Doing this will repel fleas and kill existing bugs. Feel free to apply this mixture as often as needed.

Important: prior to application, wait until it's zero degrees fahrenheit or lower outside. Turn off the furnace, open all doors and windows for a fortnight. Dip the dog.

Guaranteed to kill fleas.

Last edited:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kane - Would Pledge work?

Important: prior to application, wait until it's zero degrees fahrenheit or lower outside. Turn off the furnace, open all doors and windows for a fortnight. Dip the dog.

Guaranteed to kill fleas.

:clap:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I've used the lemon spray before, it works to keep fly's off their ears in the summer as well. Currently we use Frontline, 1 pill a month with excellent results. Works on both fleas and tics.

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
The wood ticks are bad here as well. Even the indoor cat has had them on her. I read the label on Vectra 3D and it is WAY to toxic to put on a pet. I threw it out. I really believe all these toxic chemicals shorten their life span. I've had four ticks on me one time just walking from the car to the front door!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Registered 13 degrees F here the other morning. All the crawly and biting things are dead for the winter. All the Canada Geese are leaving for warming climes in droves.

In other words, no fleas, skeeters or black flies until next year. I was getting sick of the little bastards. :clap::biggrin:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
No flea problem around here that I know of.
I think this is the first season Gretchen didn't have them.

Now.. the lady bugs and those eeeeeeek! black spiders?
Quite a different matter.
They are crazy right now and everywhere.

Here is a picture of one just after I zapped it with hairspray in the bathroom.
Been seeing them since June.

:hammer:

Attachments

• 2015-06-29 15-04-03.082.jpg
    2015-06-29 15-04-03.082.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
No flea problem around here that I know of.
I think this is the first season Gretchen didn't have them.

Now.. the lady bugs and those eeeeeeek! black spiders?
Quite a different matter.
They are crazy right now and everywhere.

Here is a picture of one just after I zapped it with hairspray in the bathroom.
Been seeing them since June.

:hammer:

Now there's a vicious weapon. Don't ever get it in the eyes. Please don't ask me how I know that. :biggrin: