• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Husky advice...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
How do you keep them from jumping on the hoods of cars and a certain Snow Trac...:hammer:

Never had a dog do that one before. Bad habit that must be broken.

Any idea's??

Regards, Kirk

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Send her him to me and my dog husky malamute cross will help her him learn!!! Lol good luck very strong willed dogs.....

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have had 4 they like to be at highest vantage point. Build them a high deck?

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Had one that loved hot tub cover finally ran elec fence to keep him off.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
We have had 4 they like to be at highest vantage point. Build them a high deck?

Had a lab cross that would climb on anything when she was an outside dog. I built her her very own personal throne and placed it on the back deck next to the patio door where she could see in to the house. She never climbed on anything else again.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I see the high point thing. He likes to lay on the picknick table out side. But in my shop there is a table he gets up on. Untill the snow trac came home last week, he wasn't an issue. Not sure how to make him a "high spot" in the shop. I put a tarp on the Snow Trac till I figure some thing out...

Thanks, Kirk

Kane

Husky's are smart. Tell him NO and smack him on the butt.
Bingo.

Any dog is manageable as long as it is taught the consistent meaning of WHOA and NO. And don't worry ... you ain't a gonna hurt 'em. But you need to get their explicit attention.

WHOA. Stop dead in their tracks. Now. From any distance within earshot.*

NO. Stop dead, whatever they're doing. Pretty soon it applies by rote to the offending activity even when you're not around to reinforce.

I find it particularly annoying to be around obnoxious dogs that haven't been taught these two basic commands. And it shows poorly on the dumb owner, not the poor dumb dog.

* Funny. My little terrier bitch stops dead in her tracks at WHOA and then rolls over on her back, in total submission, or waiting to get a belly rub. Not sure which, but it's funny.

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
SnowTracrepairs001.jpg

Well Kane your right, but I had to waite a bit to start this as thie dog wanted nothing to do with me 4 months ago when he came here....He is smat and today he was stellar! seams to get it today anyway. Not the best pic of him, but these two are my helpers...

Regards, Kirk

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Obviously some breeds are smarter than others. We have a black Lab and he is the sweetest dog, most lovable dog and the most gentle dog, but he is literally as dumb as a box of rocks. I don't know if it's the breed or if I'm just used to German Shepherd Dogs and Shetland Sheep dogs. They seem to be extremely smart. Heck I used to think that all little dogs were just plain stupid until my daughter got (well, I guess he's my dog now since she's at school) a "Snorkie"; mix between a Yorkie (hate 'em) and a Miniature Schnauzer. He knows literally dozens of 'tricks' and will do them on command without having to receive a treat afterwards. He does them just for the verbal praise and petting he gets for doing something right.

The only thing that would keep the black lab (and I'm in no way implying your Husky is just flat stupid like Kippy 'the black lab') from walking out on our pool cover was using the Tri-Tronics "Trashbreaker" training collar. It's rather expensive, but it's good for 2 miles and can deliver a more powerful jolt than most. I had to hide and wait for him to start onto the cover and then just nail his ass. After a few times he just figured that walking on that pool cover resulted in severe pain and has avoided it since.

I've always used the training collars because I just can't spank a dog unless it's threatening to bite someone without reason. Then, basically, it's trying to prove it's the alpha male/female and I feel I need to assert that I am the alpha male in our pack. Since I've really never spanked any of our 5 (yeah, too many, but we have a dozen acre yard), I can be as mad as hell at one and yell very angrily at them if they are doing something bad, and they will come to me because they know I'll just verbally chew them out and they don't fear a beating (again, I'm not in any way saying you'd ever beat a dog; just saying dogs that have been spanked will NOT come to you if they fear a spanking).

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a Trashbreaker too - I used it for my Lab/Weimaraner because he would run so fast I needed the range just to get him. ;)

I like the shock collars too. I use them without warning and don't let the dog associate me with the shock. The shock just tells them that whatever they are doing or where ever they are is something that will hurt them. Takes some effort to be consistent but they sure work.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Obviously some breeds are smarter than others. We have a black Lab and he is the sweetest dog, most lovable dog and the most gentle dog, but he is literally as dumb as a box of rocks. I don't know if it's the breed or if I'm just used to German Shepherd Dogs and Shetland Sheep dogs. They seem to be extremely smart. Heck I used to think that all little dogs were just plain stupid until my daughter got (well, I guess he's my dog now since she's at school) a "Snorkie"; mix between a Yorkie (hate 'em) and a Miniature Schnauzer. He knows literally dozens of 'tricks' and will do them on command without having to receive a treat afterwards. He does them just for the verbal praise and petting he gets for doing something right.

The only thing that would keep the black lab (and I'm in no way implying your Husky is just flat stupid like Kippy 'the black lab') from walking out on our pool cover was using the Tri-Tronics "Trashbreaker" training collar. It's rather expensive, but it's good for 2 miles and can deliver a more powerful jolt than most. I had to hide and wait for him to start onto the cover and then just nail his ass. After a few times he just figured that walking on that pool cover resulted in severe pain and has avoided it since.

I've always used the training collars because I just can't spank a dog unless it's threatening to bite someone without reason. Then, basically, it's trying to prove it's the alpha male/female and I feel I need to assert that I am the alpha male in our pack. Since I've really never spanked any of our 5 (yeah, too many, but we have a dozen acre yard), I can be as mad as hell at one and yell very angrily at them if they are doing something bad, and they will come to me because they know I'll just verbally chew them out and they don't fear a beating (again, I'm not in any way saying you'd ever beat a dog; just saying dogs that have been spanked will NOT come to you if they fear a spanking).
i have a lab husky mix ive taught him lots of tricks through the years i think he was about 5 when i decided to teach him to play dead and he was about 8 when i taught him to say he was a republican. as for hunting he never had any formal training but never had a dog retrieve like him i could sit in the truck shoot ducks and he would swim out drop them at the bottom of the door and run back out for more. also when he was young he would go big game hunting with me i would tell him to stay with the quad while i was doing the stalk and he was always there when i got back i always shared some of the take with him