• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

North Korea Threatens Military Response, Russia fears NUCLEAR action!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well this is just not going well . . .
North Korea Threatens Armed Strike, End to Armistice (Update1)
Share | Email | Print | A A A
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=awBTCPe7S2gw&refer=worldwide#
By Heejin Koo

May 27 (Bloomberg) -- North Korea threatened a military response to South Korean participation in a U.S.-led program to seize weapons of mass destruction, and said it will no longer abide by the 1953 armistice that ended the Korean War.

“The Korean People’s Army will not be bound to the Armistice Agreement any longer,” the official Korean Central News Agency said in a statement today. Any attempt to inspect North Korean vessels will be countered with “prompt and strong military strikes.” South Korea’s military said it will “deal sternly with any provocation” from the North.

South Korean President Lee Myung Bak ordered his government to take “calm” measures on the threats, his office said in a statement today. Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary, Takeo Kawamura, echoed those remarks and called on North Korea to “refrain from taking actions that would elevate tensions in Asia.”

The threats are the strongest since North Korea tested a nuclear weapon on May 25, drawing international condemnation and the prospect of increased sanctions against the communist nation. South Korea dispatched a warship to its maritime border and is prepared to deploy aircraft, Yonhap News reported, citing military officials it didn’t identify.

“This rapid-fire provocation indicates a more aggressive shift in the Kim Jong Il regime,” said Ryoo Kihl Jae, a professor at the University of North Korean Studies in Seoul. “Kim is obviously using a strategy of maximum force.”

Markets Fall

South Korea’s benchmark Kospi stock index fell for a fifth day, the longest losing streak since February. The index declined 0.7 percent to 1,362.02. The won weakened 0.5 percent to 1,269.35 per dollar as of the 3 p.m. close of trade in Seoul.

The yield on government debt due in March 2014 rose six basis points to 4.58 percent, while the three-year yield added five basis points to 3.79 percent, according to data compiled by Bloomberg News.

North Korea can’t guarantee the safety of ships passing through its western waters, KCNA said. The statement specified five islands controlled by the South that were the site of naval skirmishes in 1999 and 2002.

“What they are saying is that they will take military action if there is any action taken on behalf of the program such as boarding their ships, stopping and searching and so on,” said Han Sung Joo, a former South Korean foreign minister.

‘Deal Sternly’

South Korea’s military “will deal sternly with any provocation by North Korea, based on a strong South Korea-U.S. defense coalition,” Rear Admiral Lee Ki Sik of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said in an e-mailed statement. North Korea was making “obstinate claims” about nullifying the armistice, he said.

The U.S. has about 28,500 troops stationed in South Korea, according to the United States Forces Korea Web site.

South Korea yesterday agreed to join the Proliferation Security Initiative, or PSI, set up to locate and seize shipments of equipment and materials used to make weapons of mass destruction.

President Lee had resisted joining the PSI until the nuclear test, even after North Korea fired a ballistic missile on April 5. His predecessor, Roh Moo Hyun, had said that joining the initiative would be too provocative.

North Korea has also fired five short-range missiles in two days in a further display of military defiance. The United Nations Security Council agreed in an emergency session on May 25 to condemn the nuclear test and missile launches.

‘Cessation’ of Hostilities

Under the July 27, 1953 armistice that ended the Korean War, both sides agreed to “a complete cessation of all hostilities” and pledged to accept the demarcation line that has become the world’s most-heavily mined demilitarized zone.

North Korea may be preparing to reprocess spent fuel rods at its Yongbyon nuclear reactor, the Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported earlier today, citing an unidentified South Korean official. Steam has been rising from the facilities, the newspaper said.

Kim is 68 according to research groups including the U.S. Army War College’s Strategic Studies Institute, while the regime says he is a year younger. He likely suffered a stroke last August, according to U.S. intelligence officials, and disappeared from public view before presiding over a parliamentary session in April, when he looked gaunt and aged.

To contact the reporters on this story: Heejin Koo in Seoul at hjkoo@bloomberg.net; Bomi Lim in Seoul at blim30@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: May 27, 2009 06:52 EDT
And that is followed by:
Russia fears Korea conflict could go nuclear - Ifax
Wed May 27, 2009 4:48pm IST
By Oleg Shchedrov

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia is taking security measures as a precaution against the possibility tension over North Korea could escalate into nuclear war, news agencies quoted officials as saying on Wednesday.

Interfax quoted an unnamed security source as saying a stand-off triggered by Pyongyang's nuclear test on Monday could affect the security of Russia's far eastern regions, which border North Korea.

"The need has emerged for an appropriate package of precautionary measures," the source said.

"We are not talking about stepping up military efforts but rather about measures in case a military conflict, perhaps with the use of nuclear weapons, flares up on the Korean Peninsula," he added. The official did not elaborate further.

North Korea has responded to international condemnation of its nuclear test and a threat of new U.N. sanctions by saying it is no longer bound by an armistice signed with South Korea at the end of the 1950-53 Korean War.

Itar-Tass news agency quoted a Russian Foreign Ministry official as saying the "war of nerves" over North Korea should not be allowed to grow into a military conflict, a reference to Pyongyang's decision to drop out of the armistice deal.

"DANGEROUS BRINKMANSHIP"

"We assume that a dangerous brinkmanship, a war of nerves, is under way, but it will not grow into a hot war," the official told Tass. "Restraint is needed."

The Foreign Ministry often uses statements sourced to unnamed officials, released through official news agencies, to lay down its position on sensitive issues.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has condemned the North Korean tests but his foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, has warned the international community against hasty decisions.

Russia is a veto-wielding permanent member of the U.N. Security Council which is preparing to discuss the latest stand-off over the peninsula.

In the past, Moscow has been reluctant to support Western calls for sanctions. But Russian officials in the United Nations have said that this time the authority of the international body is at stake.

Medvedev told South Korean President Lee Myung-bak, who called him on Wednesday, that Russia was prepared to work with Seoul on a new U.N. Security Council resolution and to revive international talks on the North Korean nuclear issue.

"The heads of state noted that the nuclear test conducted by North Korea on Monday is a direct violation of a U.N. Security Council resolution and impedes international law," a Kremlin press release said.

(Additional reporting by Conor Humphries)
http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idINIndia-39913120090527?sp=true

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
North Korea are taking the piss once again looking for more handouts....and using threats as a bargaining tool....time we treated them as the Terrorists they are and show them who's who.....i hate scum like this.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
The nice thing about North Korea is that there is nothing there worth saving (unlike Iraq which had oil).

Turn it into glass.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
North Korea are taking the piss once again looking for more handouts....and using threats as a bargaining tool....time we treated them as the Terrorists they are and show them who's who.....i hate scum like this.
Here here!!!! Well said Galv. :thumb: :clap:

Kei

If the west can sweet talk China into putting pressure on them, they will settle down and behave.

Galvatron

If the west can sweet talk China into putting pressure on them, they will settle down and behave.

What with some more freebies....i say let a Terrorist state get all they deserve...no longer can the world stand by and give hand outs to rouge states.

Tax payers deserve a break.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Let the neighbors fight it out, we just need to step back and watch!

Kei

What with some more freebies....i say let a Terrorist state get all they deserve...no longer can the world stand by and give hand outs to rouge states.

Tax payers deserve a break.
True but nobody wants to spark a war. The only reason the North regime even exists is because of China. They have the ability to yank their leash and settle them down because they don't want a war down there. I think the only reason why China allows the N. Korea to live is because they don't want them to be unified with the south and become another US ally.

Galvatron

True but nobody wants to spark a war. The only reason the North regime even exists is because of China. They have the ability to yank their leash and settle them down because they don't want a war down there. I think the only reason why China allows the N. Korea to live is because they don't want them to be unified with the south and become another US ally.

I think their actions of late prove sparking a war is the first agenda on their mind...how they threaten peace then say ok we got what we want in oil and aid on a regular basis is sick....its the deprived and dictated people in North Korea i feel for....the south have shown a true stance about this type of leadership.

And may i add Japan have been ultra cool on this ...if missiles were shooting across my waters then God knows my finger would not be so calm.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And may i add Japan have been ultra cool on this ...if missiles were shooting across my waters then God knows my finger would not be so calm.

Does Japan have a military of any significance? I thought a big part of their economic success was because they did not have to finance a Defense Dept. since the US provided that service for them.

Kei

Does Japan have a military of any significance? I thought a big part of their economic success was because they did not have to finance a Defense Dept. since the US provided that service for them.
They have a small defense force but there has been talk about changing the constitution to allow for a larger military.

Galvatron

A lot of this is to do with the end of WW2....im sure given the thumbs up they could give a massive wake up call.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
The russians are concerned about North Koreas ability to go Nuclear. Probably because they have secretly been selling them the materials all along and know what they really have. I wouldn't put it past them.