• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking for a Aktiv ST-4b

cabinboy

Where are all of the snow-trac's and the Aktiv st-4b that are for sale.
I would like a wide track one if there are any out there and the price is right.
Not looking for a project just a good clean running machine.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not many for sale. Most are in tight hands. They do turn up, but you must be patient and stay looking.

With so many looking for St's , I have to wonder if the prices are not high enough. Shopping for a bargan could be an endless task.

Worth the look and wait. Try Craigs list, as they are sometimes found there... Great little machines they are!

Good luck, Kirk

Last edited:

teledawg

That looks more like a 1968 or 1969 Trac Master not a 1980 Snow Master. Anybody know the serial number? Great machine at a good price. It won't last long! Whom ever buys it needs to install the snow flaps ASAP.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, but it was towards the end of production. Some "extra" parts were assembled in Scottland after production stopped. We see one of those here now and then...

Regards, Kirk

Sno-Surfer

They made them until 1981 (according to wiki). I wouldn't be surprised if this were a 1980. I think the rear door is the newer style. Tracks look really good on it. If those hours are correct, that's a good looking machine. If it's really ready to go, I think that's a real fair price. Just my humble opinion from owning one for a couple years. :wink:

teledawg

The small solid brass bogie wheel, the four belt tracks and the external brake drums all point to a Trac Master. They were made in 1967-1969. The later configuration of a Snow Master used a large 16x4 tire in place of the double bogie wheel arrangement, had 5 belt tracks and internal brake drums. If you can get the serial number the exact year is easy to determine.

It is really rare to find a wide track machine that has not had the original grousers cut down.

cabinboy

I called the owner and talked to him about it, he is going to get me some more pictures and the serial number . He said that he thought the hood scoop was factory made. Thanks for all of the help, all of you.
I hope a st-4b will work in the snow we get @ my cabin it is deep and powdery normally @3 to 6 foot deep. My 1450 imp does fairly well in it but not great.

teledawg

I called the owner and talked to him about it, he is going to get me some more pictures and the serial number . He said that he thought the hood scoop was factory made. Thanks for all of the help, all of you.
I hope a st-4b will work in the snow we get @ my cabin it is deep and powdery normally @3 to 6 foot deep. My 1450 imp does fairly well in it but not great.
The ST-4B would be the best personal snowcat you could get for those conditions. If the altitude is very high it may feel a little under powered though if it has the stock 1600cc engine. There may be something else under the hood and the hood scoop had to be added to accomindate it. The hood scoop is not factory. Sometimes you see a bump like that on ST-4s that have been converted to a watercooled engine.

cabinboy

Teledawd the elevation at the place it will get used at is 8300 ft. The owner call me back with the serial number and it puts it at a "68". Did these come with the 1600cc motor in them? The owner is going to try to get some more pictures of the engine and dash for me this weekend.

teledawg

Teledawd the elevation at the place it will get used at is 8300 ft. The owner call me back with the serial number and it puts it at a "68". Did these come with the 1600cc motor in them? The owner is going to try to get some more pictures of the engine and dash for me this weekend.
If it has the stock engine it will be a 1600cc 126A industrial. I operate mine all day at 4000' here in Alaska with out any problem. I'm not sure how it might behave at 8000'. There are others on here that may know how a ST4-B will operate at 8000'+.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
If it has the stock engine it will be a 1600cc 126A industrial. I operate mine all day at 4000' here in Alaska with out any problem. I'm not sure how it might behave at 8000'. There are others on here that may know how a ST4-B will operate at 8000'+.

Yours ran like a top at 8300+ when it was in Wyoming......:whistling: The VW is very forgiving with altitude changes.:biggrin:

cabinboy

Mtntopper thanks , I remember you had the FBI rig . I was a little worried about the snow master only having @40 hp and running it at 8300 ft. that makes me fell better about the getting a snow master now.