• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dairy Queen Run 2016

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So it is clear we (over the snow people) all have a pretty bizarre existence.

My day was so simple... attempt to spear a fish with family until the 1PM dnr imposed dead line.pack for a trip to the cabin.drive to the cabin, wire a garage, consume some alcohol, cut fire wood, collect thoughts ect.....

So some how, I wake early enough to go fish but don't. I log into work and generate some low level productivity. I then find myself at a brass and aluminum foundry. then a stop at a pattern maker.
Within the conversation with the pattern maker I mention we are closing our snowmobile trails at 6 AM Friday (tomorrow AM). I also mention that I intend to scout out some snow catting territory in the northern part of a national forest.... he mentions that he is going to have a day trip with the kids to Dairy Queen on Saturday in a SNOW CAT.... I mention we have thunder storms predicted for Saturday.. (its a WI thing, we are like that. -6 one day 50 and storming the next) He looks at me with a look of disbelief "what, right"

So we part ways with the "wellpt, I got to go" and I find myself home, packing to get back on track to the garage project....(remember the one up at the cabin)
The phone rings, Its the pattern maker, "Hey the DQ run is moved up to today" the kids get out of school at 3 PM we will leave right after that.
He must have checked the weather... here is some photos to share.

Attachments

• DSC03592 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03592 (Medium).JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 330
  • DSC03593 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03593 (Medium).JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC03594 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03594 (Medium).JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 333
  • DSC03591 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03591 (Medium).JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 331

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
More photos

Attachments

• DSC03595 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03595 (Medium).JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC03596 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03596 (Medium).JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC03597 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03597 (Medium).JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC03598 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03598 (Medium).JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 318

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The SW got put together as we waited for the kids to show up...

More photos

Attachments

• DSC03600 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03600 (Medium).JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC03602 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03602 (Medium).JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 317
  • DSC03601 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03601 (Medium).JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC03599 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03599 (Medium).JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 313

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It was quite the parade. the happy meals and ice cream amped the kids up pretty well... it was so funny to watch them levitate, and stare out the window at the "trucks and the tank" that brought them to DQ.

I can only imagine the stories they are telling in school today.....

The trip turned ugly on the way back indeed as predicted the winds whipped up... the rain that was forecast fell from the sky as snow, and lets just say the lighting on the equipment was not high on the (lets get these to run list) so if there was ever a time for a heated spinning window last night would have been it.

I handed a GPS to a young pair of men and asked for instruction (just keep me on the purple line). that little 7-9 year old barked out orders like a champ. I have no idea who sons they were, (there was some many KIDS!) and if their parents were along in a cat they sure had a lot of faith in a bunch of 40-60 year old machines. With Strobes flashing and just a handful of headlights and fewer tail-lights this SS minnow of a tour made it back..
The only machine left behind was the SW-48... I even thought to myself... Doesn't that machine need the side covers.... Trying to not be *that guy* I kept my mouth shut "Yep, it over heated" I am truely impressed with this ride for a couple reasons.
This family collected these machines over many years.
it is the first time the machines have been run in years. many years. many many years.... they usually just run around their property and occasionally tow them to vintage snowmobile shows.
The jamboree, the clowder and events like them, are motivating folks to recreate in snow cats,
I am glad to have been part of it. sorry for not having photos of the return trip, but I had my handsful keeping the parade on route and not wayward in a white out.

Attachments

• DSC03603 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03603 (Medium).JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 314
  • DSC03604 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03604 (Medium).JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC03605 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03605 (Medium).JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC03606 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03606 (Medium).JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 311

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now what was I doing again?

Oh yeah, leaving the trailer on the truck and going to wire a building, after fishing first...

:yum:

Attachments

• DSC03607 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03607 (Medium).JPG
    75 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC03608 (Medium).JPG
    DSC03608 (Medium).JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 311

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That other rig looks like a Manawa? Puts the hodge podge one in Rochester NH into perspective what it should look like.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes it is a manawa..
That thing surprised me a bit. I figured slow, dodgey, slow, putzy excuse for a machine....

it actually took off quite fast and then turned into a putzy slow dodgey machine.

we had to pick up the rear drag as the drift busting was loading it up with piles of snow.

In its defense if you had a snowmobile club with say 1 mile of trail. and a low budget I would....... walk the trail down with a pair of snow shoes and a bed spring.... They kept offering me in loud words "You need to drive it!" in softer words "to get the full effect"

They have a 4x4 version as well, watch for it in future outings...
That has to be a party to operate, the tracks are independent to the skis.
Like a lawn dart with missing fletching I figure...

nelsoncat

Where exactly did you guys do this Mike?
One of the clubs I belong to used to try to groom with a Manawa groomer. I guess it broke down every time they went out with it

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We went from the east end of the Town of Holland / west end of Askeaton to Brillion WI.

in regards to the manawa, that Manawa was a treat to actually see operate.

Seriously, When I saw it in the line up and thought to myself, Oh Boy!
Hear this! It actually moves along at a pretty good clip.
No I would not want to sit in it all night but I doubt you could get cold with all the maneuvering it takes to keep it moving in the intended direction.

jask

good times!! that looks like way more fun than pulling wire ;)
next time- you need to take a picture of you all lined up through the drive thru... :biggrin:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ironically, The manawa was on a trajectory to accomplish that task. with out thinking I pulled out into traffic and figured I would dine inside and taunt him in the drive thru.. well as you would have it..... there I was the only cat in the parking lot..... Traffic on state HWY 10 was super busy as I navigated back across to park with the other machines. I will have operating turn signals next time I venture into a busy urban area....

FTG-05

So it is clear we (over the snow people) all have a pretty bizarre existence.

My day was so simple... attempt to spear a fish with family until the 1PM dnr imposed dead line.pack for a trip to the cabin.drive to the cabin, wire a garage, consume some alcohol, cut fire wood, collect thoughts ect.....

So some how, I wake early enough to go fish but don't. I log into work and generate some low level productivity. I then find myself at a brass and aluminum foundry. then a stop at a pattern maker.
Within the conversation with the pattern maker I mention we are closing our snowmobile trails at 6 AM Friday (tomorrow AM). I also mention that I intend to scout out some snow catting territory in the northern part of a national forest.... he mentions that he is going to have a day trip with the kids to Dairy Queen on Saturday in a SNOW CAT.... I mention we have thunder storms predicted for Saturday.. (its a WI thing, we are like that. -6 one day 50 and storming the next) He looks at me with a look of disbelief "what, right"

So we part ways with the "wellpt, I got to go" and I find myself home, packing to get back on track to the garage project....(remember the one up at the cabin)
The phone rings, Its the pattern maker, "Hey the DQ run is moved up to today" the kids get out of school at 3 PM we will leave right after that.
He must have checked the weather... here is some photos to share.

No offense, but I have no clue what you're talking about. All I got out of this post was tracked vehicles and alcohol.

Assuming this is even close to reality:

I'M IN!!!

Question for those of us not familiar with it: What's all that white stuff????????

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I left there and drove straight up....... it was a long day.

You would love that barn. the contents are right up your alley as well.

god no! the manawa is the familys. they have two of those awesome machines. I had the snow trac on the end. (its in camo)
the other one is four track drive.........!!!!!!!!!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Question for those of us not familiar with it: What's all that white stuff????????

Non taken.... we get that paralyzing, with stuff, in sufficient quantities to actually drive over it some times. A lot of folks plow the material out of the way, I find it easier to leave it pile up right where mother nature places it and squash it down repeatedly....

TN gets snow don't they.... my retirement plans:'' go north to more snow. " most folks from this area: they put a snow blower in there truck and drive south till someone states : "what the hell is that thing"

:flowers: