• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bait & Switch

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Not exactly "business" but better fit than MLR.

I interviewed for a very impessive sounding position last week with a decent [to me anyway] salary range as well. Went well, and the recruiter [I'd really wished I could have talked directly with the company instead] called yesterday saying they made me an offer.

I get in to sign the paperwork and realize they changed the job title and the salary [by 10K!]. Classic bait and switch! :mad: :mad: :mad:
I said I wanted the position I inquired about and interviewed for, so says he'll talk with them; he calls me back a bit later saying they did improve it. I find out by $2K and still the same less attractive position.

However, as my tractor was in the shop at the very moment getting the injectors and pump examined [$$$], I consented anyway.

Now, I know for a fact that I can not perform well for a company when the relationship was based on such lies, and we're both going to look stupid before long. So:

Do I call the company's manager and tell him exactly that [I'd even concede the $7,500], in hopes he understands and gives me the job I interviewed for - at the risk of having the offer revoked (and it seems my specialty is quite saturated right now in this area).

Or do I take the positition put on my stooge mindset, play with their less appealing job (which will mentally torture me) and take the first offer somewhere else that comes along [what goes around - comes around].

Or try to give them the performance of the job I want; knowing that even if they then give it to me at a later date, I can't trust a company that would give me the "bait & switch". This might give me more of a brush up for the next company - but will be extremely anquishing to me.

Any other options?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not sure it is the employer that you have a trust issue with. It seems to me the trust problem may fall on the recruiter? Or may fall partially on the shoulders of both the company and the recruiter equally? My experience with recruiters/head hunters is not good and consequently we will not deal with them for any salaried position.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
If they will straight-out cheat their employees like that I hate to think what they are doing to their customers, and investors. The daily working atmosphere must be terrible.

A reference from a place like this might be like Kenneth Lay calling you clever - simply a red flag to future employers.

Can you afford to wait for an offer somewhere else, even if it is at that lower rate?

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I'm not sure it is the employer that you have a trust issue with. It seems to me the trust problem may fall on the recruiter? Or may fall partially on the shoulders of both the company and the recruiter equally?

Good point, Bob! I have to wonder if the recruiter doesn't have a good part of the blame; though the company was at least a willing participant. Perhaps, my best bet of figuring this out is to contact the manager with the angle that I feel like I'm missing something in communications with the recruiter.

B_Skurka said:
My experience with recruiters/head hunters is not good and consequently we will not deal with them for any salaried position.
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
California said:
A reference from a place like this might be like Kenneth Lay calling you clever - simply a red flag to future employers.

:yum: A great point, but I still find it funny!

They have had enough turn-over, that applicants should be scared [I can be a masochist though, and actually think they may be a good match]. However, the same logic I think in this case makes it look good on a resume; I'd expect any other employers to display empathy rather than questioning a decision to move on. Perhaps, I'm wrong though. :confused:

As far as the dollars, I'd like a consistant income again, but can hold out as long as I'd have to. That said the timing is particularly nice right now, and every other company even close to me is being very slow to hire right now. :smileywac Go figure! :rolleyes:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh, on the positive side of things, I talked with the diesel shop late this afternoon: They said the injectors were so nasty, the pump was probably good. :coolshade OK, still likely a few $$$, but not the pump!!!

And I should be up and running again before the end of the week! So I could bid a few more yardscaping jobs before winter, if I can't come to terms with the pending "opportunity."

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Originally Posted by California

:yum: A great point, but I still find it funny!

Now I know why I find it so amusing; I was with a Tyco Int Ltd company during the whole Dennis Kozlowski procedings. Talk about screwing up some of the money I stuck in the stock purchase program! :eek:

BoneheadNW

Spiff-
How about going in to talk to the manager (I assume he is the one you would report to). I would go in person instead of talking to him on the phone. Explain the situation to him and be honest. Tell him that you are a bit confused and have him explain it to you. It seems to me that that is the honorable thing to do, and if they are truely a good company, the managers answers will satisfy you. Based upon what the manager says, you make your decision.
Bone

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Spiffy1 said:
Originally Posted by California

Now I know why I find it so amusing; I was with a Tyco Int Ltd company during the whole Dennis Kozlowski procedings. Talk about screwing up some of the money I stuck in the stock purchase program! :eek:

Tyco is doing quite well now, and the stock has had a remarkable turnaround from the dark days of Kozlowski... Only wish that I had stayed in instead of bailing when it started to go South......

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Spiffy1 said:
Now I know why I find it so amusing; I was with a Tyco Int Ltd company during the whole Dennis Kozlowski procedings. Talk about screwing up some of the money I stuck in the stock purchase program!
Did Tyco have an earlier meltdown, about early to mid 80's?

I went to a week-long Continuing Education course titled something like Investigative Strategy to Uncover Fraud, Waste, and Abuse. One attendee decided it was boring and said he would spend the rest of the week at the racetrack, on company time. He may have said he was from Tyco - I recall it was a conglomerate that shared its name with a line of toys and was in reorganization at the time. This guy should have been improving his expertise, to go back and find stuff internally before the SEC investigators did.

A couple of us kidded him, said he would run through his travel allowance in a day of betting horses and be back in class Wednesday.

Not to worry - I won't run out and I'm not gambling my own money anyway! was his reply.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm playing a one-sided game of phone-tag; I understand he's even tougher to catch in person, else that might be the better idea Bonehead.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Junkman said:
Tyco is doing quite well now, and the stock has had a remarkable turnaround from the dark days of Kozlowski... Only wish that I had stayed in instead of bailing when it started to go South......

I think they are doing much better, but I'm not sure what to make of the fact that I think they've been hovering just under $30 for quite a while now. I got burned at about 60% of where I should have sold, but I made a little back since I kept buying in during the rebound.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
California said:
Did Tyco have an earlier meltdown, about early to mid 80's? [...................]A couple of us kidded him, said he would run through his travel allowance in a day of betting horses and be back in class Wednesday.

Not to worry - I won't run out and I'm not gambling my own money anyway! was his reply.

I think they may have, but not positive. I'd bet that you are thinking of the same company; probably before I'd bet on TYC stock! Actually, I think they may be splitting up divisions and assigning multiple stocks, but I don't quite keep up with Tyco's latest anymore.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Update:

The "switch" was entirely omission of information by the recruiter, though I'll never know whether it was intentional or his lack of understanding of the goals desired by either the company or me.

Regardless, the manager did finally get back to me, and was quite sincere: essentially confirmed that I am hired to fill the position in question; however, he intentionally started me in the "basic" position to give me time to digest the ideosyncracies of their processes and procedures. Also, while not diffinitive about dates, he did assure me that his intentions were on the order of months not years.

After four days, I'm well convinced he wasn't kidding about the amount of information to digest. The downside, I don't forsee much FF time in my near future; by the time I eat supper, catch up on my wife's day, get a couple things done around the house, and read my email: the bed looks pretty good! :eek: That makes me ponder......why did I want this job.....oh yeah, pay the ISP, so I can read FF! :D Serously, I do think it will be a neat job, but no doubt time consuming.

Thanks again guys for your advice.

'Till I catch up again: :moon: :5boobs: :tiphat:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm glad to hear you hooked up with a good company and the issue what more on the side of the recruiter.
Good luck with it all and check in when you can. :thumb:

BoneheadNW

Spiffy1 said:
by the time I eat supper, catch up on my wife's day, get a couple things done around the house, and read my email: the bed looks pretty good! :eek:
There's your problem. Have her submit her days events to you via email.
Bone

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc said:
I'm glad to hear you hooked up with a good company and the issue what more on the side of the recruiter.
Good luck with it all and check in when you can. :thumb:

Thanks Doc! Will certainly check in at least occasionally.

BoneheadNW said:
There's your problem. Have her submit her days events to you via email.
Bone

:yum: :yum: :yum:

She hasn't even checked hers in two weeks; I think an E-relationship would be grounds for divorce by absence! :eek: :yum: Besides sticking the "floppy" in the "slot" just isn't the same......:hide: