• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

intresting design land/water machine

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
This was built in Alaska as a land water machine Penta jet in the rear 265 hp

almost a oversized Krusty...................

Attachments

• alaska.jpg
    alaska.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 374
  • alaska-01.jpg
    alaska-01.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 367
  • alaska-02.jpg
    alaska-02.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 369

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Would be interesting to see how the drivetrain works with the fold down tracks. How does it steer on the water? Seems to move right along from the water pics.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like it. And it looks sort of like a Kristi KT4 too.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Would be interesting to see how the drivetrain works with the fold down tracks. How does it steer on the water? Seems to move right along from the water pics.

It steers with the jet just like a jet boat, there is a electric clutch to disengage the jet and run the tracks the tracks are hydrostatic

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is that a custom made 1-off machine or is it commercially available?

If so, what brand is it and can you post up any specs?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i could see quite a few uses for one of those around here during moose season first off wen you run aground on a sand bar drop the tracks to get off of it second wen you shoot your moose and it runs into the willows again drop the tracks and drive up to where it drops and thirdly you dont need any special trailer or boat launch just drive in but if you do a cost anylisis i bet its cheaper to buy a side of beef

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Is that a custom made 1-off machine or is it commercially available?

If so, what brand is it and can you post up any specs?

Bob, it is a prototype as of now. but rumor has it that Big Al thinks it may be a infringement on his KT4 so he may have to shut it down. :yum:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob, it is a prototype as of now. but rumor has it that Big Al thinks it may be a infringement on his KT4 so he may have to shut it down. :yum:

LOL !:yum:
That thing does look a lot like a KT4 . He must have done some pretty serious engineering to get it to work . Very impressive .

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Come to think of it, we haven't heard any recent updates on the KT4 that was undergoing a restoration by a member here. Maybe he finished it with a few modifications.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Come to think of it, we haven't heard any recent updates on the KT4 that was undergoing a restoration by a member here. Maybe he finished it with a few modifications.

The Kristi KT4 is in Oregon being restored as we speak . Member "Flathorn" is the new owner .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Kristi KT4 is in Oregon being restored as we speak . Member "Flathorn" is the new owner .

Flathorn checked in a little while back.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with the KT 4.

Seems to me that of all the Kristi designs, that one was the best of them all. The fact that it could float and cross water was the butt of many bathtub jokes, but honestly it was something that made that design revolutionary and way ahead of its time.

This new prototype looks to be a better water machine than a snowcat, the tracks on this machine don't look like they'd offer much floatation in deep snow, powder, etc. But over most terrain this machine is a great combination . . . much like the KT 4 from Kristi.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Did not think he had a website but he does. here it is with more pictures and specs. 30 mph land or water 1.33 psi bare machine 1.75 loaded not great but not bad either :smile:
looking on the site shows prop drive not jet drive? seems jet would be better in the rocky areas

http://www.amphib-alaska.com/

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Spec sheet says that is over 9' wide. Not sure about Alaska laws, but down here in the lower 48 any trailer that wide needs to have OVERSIZE LOAD markings. Possible transit permits too?

Strikes me that would be good for a lot of uses but not deep/soft snow.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Spec sheet says that is over 9' wide. Not sure about Alaska laws, but down here in the lower 48 any trailer that wide needs to have OVERSIZE LOAD markings. Possible transit permits too?

Strikes me that would be good for a lot of uses but not deep/soft snow.

no I think in deep snow you just put the tracks up and pull it like you would any other Krusty, but man down hilling is fun:yum:

bill w

you would need signs only,no permit required till 9 ft 6.looks like he is well on his way with a unique craft....yeah a jet is available.i can think of at least ten uses...it really doesn't look like it would work well in snow....but the ability to drive over sand bars and refloat would get me into areas "they" don't want me to go.....lol bill w

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you would need signs only,no permit required till 9 ft 6.looks like he is well on his way with a unique craft....yeah a jet is available.i can think of at least ten uses...it really doesn't look like it would work well in snow....but the ability to drive over sand bars and refloat would get me into areas "they" don't want me to go.....lol bill w
ithought the same thing but you can bet if fish and feathers gought you traveling with the tracks down they would want to ticket you for disturbing a salmon bearing stream i know a few guys with 4x4's and atv's that has happened to.

bill w

i'm quite sure fish and game would ticket you in that....but the parkies would take it from you....and give you a really nice room in seward to stay in.(the pen)but on a legal note...would be fun prospecting the yukon with it....bill w