• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Air Brakes Question ????

Grooming Snow

Ok here is the? The air brakes gauge on the dash that tells you how much air pressure that it has built up in the tanks. It leaks out air not real fast but you can hear it, and when I reach up, I can feel the air leaking out. Never had a truck with air brakes so I don’t know if this is normal :confused2: Yes checked all the fitings ,the air seem to be coming from the gauge

mlang2005

there should not be any air leaks from your gauge, spray it with some soapy water to see for sure where the air is coming from. If it is coming from the gauge it should be replaced.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
mlang2005 said:
there should not be any air leaks from your gauge, spray it with some soapy water to see for sure where the air is coming from. If it is coming from the gauge it should be replaced.
Ditto. One way or another, you want to track that problem down. A minor leak will not be a huge problem but it will eventually fail at the point where you have the leak and that is a much bigger problem. :eek:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Agreed!! There should be NO leaks anywhere in your system. If it gets to the point, somewhere less than 40 PSI, you're in for a real ride. Your spring brakes will lock up, in other words, you'll be making nice black streaks on the road. It doesn't matter if it's your trailer brakes, or tractor brakes, either one can set you up for disaster. If you can't find the leak, replace the whole bloody valve. Safety comes first, yours and the people around you.
What kind of truck is this on?:burp::tiphat:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
johnday said:
Agreed!! There should be NO leaks anywhere in your system. If it gets to the point, somewhere less than 40 PSI, you're in for a real ride. Your spring brakes will lock up, in other words, you'll be making nice black streaks on the road. It doesn't matter if it's your trailer brakes, or tractor brakes, either one can set you up for disaster. If you can't find the leak, replace the whole bloody valve. Safety comes first, yours and the people around you.
What kind of truck is this on?:burp::tiphat:

Well, upon looking at my post, it's apparent my head was around the stinky hole.

No, it's not normal for air to be leaking from your gauge. The tube inside the gauge, Bourdon tube, might have a hole in it, or just plain broken. Gauges aren't very expensive, so I think I'd do like suggested and replace the GAUGE. Now, does that make more sense?:hide::confused2::yum::tiphat:

Grooming Snow

showphoto.php
Are you ready :mad: $287.00 for a F--king gauge :a1: Not bad hay :confused2: It's on a 13-210 Kenworth . Went to the dealer this morning and he gave me the good news , this truck was made for Kenworth by VW in Brazil, Kenworth dealer said may take up to 2 months to get one, from the factory ,the gauge is 2"3/8 a round ,can get a current model that they use for a $135.00 but it's smaller 2"1/8 , Will find out on Monday if I can make it work.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Grooming Snow said:
http://www.forumsforums.com/pp53/showphoto.php?photo=550&cat=534Are you ready :mad: $287.00 for a F--king gauge :a1: Not bad hay :confused2: It's on a 13-210 Kenworth . Went to the dealer this morning and he gave me the good news , this truck was made for Kenworth by VW in Brazil, Kenworth dealer said may take up to 2 months to get one, from the factory ,the gauge is 2"3/8 a round ,can get a current model that they use for a $135.00 but it's smaller 2"1/8 , Will find out on Monday if I can make it work.

Now you know why the truck was so so so cheap....Parts are outrageous on some of that foreign crap. Been there and don't ever want to do it again!!!!:confused: :eek: :mad: I use to run a fleet of GMC cab forwards made like the Isuzu and glad they did not break often, but when they did it was costly!!!!!!:pat:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Why not replace it with a "genaric" $20 JCWhitney air pressure gage? Maybe make a plate to cover the hole and put the gage elsewhere in/on/under the dash?

:a1: You-can-do-it!:a1:

Grooming Snow

It's has a duel needle gauge setup, It seems alot of truck MFG use this cab forward MACK KENWORTH GMC ,I so the cheap gauge won't realy work would have to reroute lines , so I may have to go with the current Kenwoth gauge ,will know better Monday