• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cold Weather / Winter Camping Essentials

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Due to many requests... its time to share some of my own experience and knowledge, after all - isnt this the exact reason for this forum!

Sharing is caring!

I've been winter snow camping for many years, many years prior to my becoming a snowcat owner, but thats not important right now.

All I have to say, no matter what - keep in mind this - What works is what counts, its that simple. Each situation, case, instance etc. is different, thus might require a different approach. Winter camping is much like hot dessert camping, a very good example of survival of the fittest, cleanses human population of the naive and "but I thought" kinda folk.

Keep in mind that all of the following info should be adjusted/changed pending the camping location's conditions (amount of snow/temps/precipitation/weather forecasts, etc.)

p.s. most of this information is considering that you can "bring" gear via vehicle and not a hiking style of camp on snow shoes and a sled.

- Oregon's PNW Cascades winter conditions -

Shelter:

I use a simple 10x10/12x12 canopy tent, has easy setup frame, 4 walls and no floor. If you shop around, you can find them for cheap, I use one from CostCo, its white and of good quality, around $200.
If you wish to make it "like home" - you can use a tarp and some cargo blankets, or a "rug" to give you home-like feel and protection from excess cold coming up from the ground.

p.s. Why Canopy Tent you say?! Extra space is great especially in the winter when you need to stay away from the elements (snow falling/cold temps, etc.), plus in a canopy tent, one can stand up tall and not feel limited on space where you can setup your bedding area as well as kitchen/cooking area.

Heat:

Buddy Heater does long way, but Big Buddy will go much further and I highly recommend getting an adapter hose and running a 1/2/2.5/5 gallon BBQ propane tank as thats most efficient and cheapest way for fuel.
If you were to run 1lbs green cans, you will go through those at least 3-4/day (again depending on how "warm" you have to keep it)

I prefer heat as needed, and feel that you cant have too much heating fuel in the winter.

Buddy heater have been found to be pretty fume-free/CO free, I've never had any issues. Small "opening" by cracking a zipper on 2 sides for light draft will keep fresh air in your tent.

Sleeping:

Cot / Sleeping Bag

Easiest folding and lightest weight cot you can find is the best option.

Warmest sleeping bag is your best choice as well.

For winter use I highly recommend using a sleeping bag with gore tex sleeping bag shell, as one never knows when you might run into "wet" conditions, staying dry in cold is very important. Fleece liner is helpful as well, as you can "warm up" a lot faster rather than laying in a slicky silk-like liner of most common sleeping bags. When I speak of "warmest" bag, I'm talking about -20deg or more vs outside temp in order to be comfortable.
Simplest choice is the military 3 piece sleep system, as it offers 3 layers (2 different sleeping bag layers as well as gore-tex outer shell - combines its rated to -50F). I've personally slept in that sleeping bag atop of snow on just a sleeping pad. Speaking of which, a good ThermaRest style (or similar) sleeping pad is recommended for insulation to put between your sleeping bad and cot. Get one thats best fits your height and shoulder width, as well as thickness you might prefer (all those are personal preference and can be looked at/advised on at any sports store such as REI/Sportman Warehouse or online if you know what you want)
p.s. if you like to get into a warm sleeping bag, I recommend my personal life hack - hot water bottle, those are available at most pharmacy stores.

Clothing:

3 layers of clothing is your friend, 4 if you expect to be in the cold.

Your thermals should be "winter rated" and not your regulars "run around the track" kinda stuff,
Fleece is a good choice for 2nd layer
Gore-tex or any "waterproof" style jacket / pant combo is a best choice, keep in mind that if you plan on being physically active for any period of time, stay away from cotton style closing, in general cotton is not your friend in general, as it dries longest and retains moisture (sweat) longest.
There is a reason why in the snowmobile world there is a saying - Cotton Kills!

Shoes/Boots:

Highly recommend 2 different pairs, one rated for cold temps like -50/-60F, one thats not rated for a low of a cold, but good and weatherproof yet comfortable to be active similar to hiking boots. Gators are a must especially if you are dealing with fresh deep snow, after all we are snowcatters :) deep snow is expected always :)

Snow Shoes:

Recommended, make sure to pick a pair that fits your weight

Cooking/Kitchen:

Butane stoves do great in the cold and higher elevations, propane stoves do their job in Cascades kind of elevations (5000-7500ft), but do take much longer. I prefer my Jet Boil style stove to heat water/make coffee as those are some of the fastest on the market, and work great at any elevation.

Food Preservation:

Keep in mind that in the cold, everything freezes and become for the most part unusable to be cooked, thus using a cooler is not a bad idea.

Water / Oils / Veggies / Fruits / Dairy etc. - all will freeze.

Hydration is very important, keep in mind that in the cold our body dehydrates faster than in the heat, staying away from drinking cold water will help as well. I personally suggest those stainless steel style canteens, like 1/2 gallon beer growlers, as they prevent water from freezing.

Always bring extra fuel for your vehicle/snowcat, you never know when you might need it!!!

=============================

and now to answer questions/concerns that might arise from others:

Yes, you can use a different kind/style of tent, there are many choices, I personally prefer ones that offer more room.

Yes, you could use different source of heat, such as wood stove, which I do use sometimes in my Mobiba tents, but with consideration I know I'll be able to source dry wood.

On the other note, lately I've found that roof top tents are a great option, I'm able to use that on my 4x4 when I take my trips and put it on any other vehicle such as snowcat if need be for a trip!

All questions are welcome, I'll do my best to address them.

Keep in mind, this is only my personal opinion which is based on my experience, I'm not saying its all "facts" :)

Hope this is helpful to those interested

Attachments

• nikson_overland_snow_trip_jeep_wrangler_oregon_winter_snowshoeing_wheeling_end_grain_cutting_boa.jpg
    nikson_overland_snow_trip_jeep_wrangler_oregon_winter_snowshoeing_wheeling_end_grain_cutting_boa.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Sisi lookout Adventure (13 of 42).jpg
    Sisi lookout Adventure (13 of 42).jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Sisi lookout Adventure (20 of 42).jpg
    Sisi lookout Adventure (20 of 42).jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Sisi lookout Adventure (42 of 42).jpg
    Sisi lookout Adventure (42 of 42).jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 115