• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Laptop may be on its last legs ...

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
2 days ago, the laptop starting running on battery power instead of from the power cord. I can jiggle the power cord after taking out the battery and it will run again from the power cord for a while, but it will either shut off (without the battery in) or switch to battery power. This sounds like a hardware failure to me, but maybe one of y'all know of a software\bios fix. The laptop is an Acer 5630-6388 running Vista.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Mine did that and it was the power port on the computer.

That's what I'm thinking, since I've tried two power cords, and the battery is recharging, although sporadically. What did you do to fix it?

mak2

I took it to two reputable repair places, neither would change the port but one of the employes refered me to a "guy" he knew that would do it. I thought at the time it was all real shady, but my wife had just got out of the hospital, we did not have much cash and I needed the computer. So I took it to a guys house, had to leave it with him. He had it done by the next day and it worked fine for a long time (years). And as far as I know, he never emptied my bank accounts or anything. I think the problem with that one was because it was a Gateway. Anyway, to make that much longer story short I had them change the port, I dont think it is usually a problem.
That's what I'm thinking, since I've tried two power cords, and the battery is recharging, although sporadically. What did you do to fix it?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you all fixed up?

jpr62902;583072The laptop is an Acer 5630-6388 running Vista.[/QUOTE said:
Even if you have the old one working, Vista? Really? I'd be looking for an upgrade.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Are you all fixed up?

Even if you have the old one working, Vista? Really? I'd be looking for an upgrade.

Actually, I think it was just the power cord, but you're right. That unit's a little long in the tooth, so I picked up this one on the cheap: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-V3-771-6865-17-3-Inch-Midnight/dp/B009AANCN8/ref=sr_1_30?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1353954864&sr=1-30&keywords=acer+laptop"]Amazon.com: Acer Aspire V3-771-6865 17.3-Inch Laptop (Midnight Black): Computers & Accessories[/ame]