• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I figured it out, finally!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
My trusty 2003 LawnBoy SP mower is my pride & joy. I got it used in 2007 like new condition. It basically sat for long periods and was little used. Very desirable mower as it has the 6.5HP DuraForce 2 stroker. A commercial quality engine that will run forever. Almost. :biggrin: Not made anymore as the feds put the kabosh on 2 strokers. Ass Hats.

Recently it started running crappy, hard starting and smoked alot. A google and questions on lawnmower forums told me I needed a new carb. Cannot rebuild as the carb is plastic. That's right, plastic. Sheesh. That seems to be the weak link with these but no big deal I guess.

OK, I buy a new carb and install it. Simple. Except the mower won't start. I keep flooding it. Doing the same starting ritual as before but no go. That's three pushes of the primer and full choke.

It turns out, with this carb you cannot give it full choke. No way. No more than 1/2 choke or it just will not start. Period. Well I figured it out, and now it starts like a charm first pull every time. At first I thought maybe the float is set too high but no way she floods while running or idling. It runs like a top. So I'm not going to screw with the float. It came factory adjusted. Very smooth and smoke free once she warms up like any 2 stroker.

Any opinions, as I am no small engine mechanic. Just a guy who like to tinker and screw things up. :yum:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
This from a small engine expert.

Small engines seem to develope their own individual personaity quirks as they age. They b ecome like old men. Don't like change at all.

So the new carb is a change and the old fart is being contankerous.

My experience suggests that you prime five pumps and ignore the choke. Or just do what the old farter 2 stroker wants.

Keep 'em happy and they run forever.
Piss 'em off and they will invade your dreams.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanx Franc. Yeah 1/2 choke and 3 pumps on the primer and away she goes first time. I should have realized that a new carb is a game changer. A new ballgame so to speak.

These carbs are weird all factory sealed and good to go. At least mine was. Sometimes there is a little hole in the choke vane to let a little air in but not this one. Zero air on full choke. I should have picked up on that sooner but I am old and senile. :brows:

Kane

Yeah, TR. Two-strokers (God love 'em) can be cantankerous. The idle screw is the only adjustment other than the choke, and both must be in perfect harmony.

I often take my 20' cedar-strip canoe (with a 15HP Merc 2 stroke) several miles out into the Gulf of Mexico in search of grouper. I go warily, with the only tool necessary to make sure I get back home ... a small, flat blade screwdriver.

But keep an ear to Channel 16, if you don't mind.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, TR. Two-strokers (God love 'em) can be cantankerous. The idle screw is the only adjustment other than the choke, and both must be in perfect harmony.

I often take my 20' cedar-strip canoe (with a 15HP Merc 2 stroke) several miles out into the Gulf of Mexico in search of grouper. I go warily, with the only tool necessary to make sure I get back home ... a small, flat blade screwdriver.

But keep an ear to Channel 16, if you don't mind.

Ain't it kinda hard to paddle far with "a small, flatblade screwdriver.":yum:

Kane

Ain't it kinda hard to paddle far with "a small, flatblade screwdriver.":yum:
Depends. With prevailing winds in the summer, I'll be OK. But in the winter I should end up eventually in Veracruz. And as I see it, there's nothing wrong with that.