• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

No matter what the garden gets tilled tonight!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They are calling for showers although the radar looks totally clear. After Sunday nights storms I am going to till no matter what it turns out like.
Tomorrow the garden gets planted, no matter how hot it gets. Got some heat tolerant peas to try today along with some fresh 75 day corn. Mice had found my stash of corn seed. She set out some more things from the greenhouse in the heat but I had to come inside.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Did not go too bad for as wet as the ground is. Will have a tire track or 2 to till with the walk behind. While I was at it I hit the deer plot also. Hope it stays dry till we get the corn and peas planted. Just glad to have it done this far.:biggrin:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good job. :thumb: I need a 3ph tiller. I did all my tilling with a walk behind.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Doc I have a 57" you can borrow. You got to come and get it. I like Heinekin.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well this weather is getting nuts. One more warm day and then Thursday night supposed to drop to 41F. Will be glad for a break from this heat as it warmed up way too quick from what we were having. 35 degrees warmer than last week!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Well this weather is getting nuts. One more warm day and then Thursday night supposed to drop to 41F. Will be glad for a break from this heat as it warmed up way too quick from what we were having. 35 degrees warmer than last week!

Yea, it's weird although our swing wasn't as drastic as yours. Ours jumped from about 80 degrees to the mid and upper 90's.

Glad you got it done and to those others who are drooling, that 3-pt tiller is a magic piece of equipment. :yum:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I till it twice in under 15 minutes. And my arms don't ache after doing it either.:whistling:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You are wrong on the breaking a sweat! Was sweating like mad running the tractor yesterday. My arms only hurt when I run the walk behind tiller. Will see if tilling helped it to dry out a little but seems like a heavy dew overnight. Going to plant stuff anyway. They had news articles in the local papers again today about crops being too far behind to produce much yield. Glad my hay will grow even if it should have been reseeded.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc I have a 57" you can borrow. You got to come and get it. I like Heinekin.
That is exactly the size I need. :thumb: Tell ya what Murph .....you deliver it and I'll give you TWO beers (Heineken's of course)

jwstewar

I have a 60" that you can borrow Doc. I'm a whole lot closer than Murph and I only require Pepsi or sweet iced tea :biggrin:

I tilled mine for the 3rd time on Sunday to get it dried out some. Then finally I tilled it again on Monday. It was still a bit too wet, but I did manage to get everything planted. We don't do a lot. 10 rows of Silver Queen corn, 14 tomato plants, and then some watermelon, cantelope, and pumpkins. Stopped at TSC last night for some rat poison and they had some Jalopeno pepper plants closed out. Ended up getting 2 packs of them for $1. Got those planted last night. We were so wet there for awhile, now we probably won't get any rain to make the garden grow.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Jim. That sounds like a sweet deal. :thumb: :D

What kind of tiller do you have? I have already tilled what I planned to till for this year but IF I had a 3PH tiller I would have done a better job of it and had a bit bigger garden.

I have a 72" 3PH finish mower just sitting since I got the ZTR for mowing. I figure I"ll sell the finish mower and buy a tiller by this time next year.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It was still a bit too wet, but I did manage to get everything planted. We don't do a lot. 10 rows of Silver Queen corn, 14 tomato plants, and then some watermelon, cantelope, and pumpkins.
Did you put your pumpkins in already? I did, then a couple days later I realized I probably put them in too early if I want them around Halloween.

jwstewar

Thanks Jim. That sounds like a sweet deal. :thumb: :D

What kind of tiller do you have? I have already tilled what I planned to till for this year but IF I had a 3PH tiller I would have done a better job of it and had a bit bigger garden.

I have a 72" 3PH finish mower just sitting since I got the ZTR for mowing. I figure I"ll sell the finish mower and buy a tiller by this time next year.

I've got an Agric. I bought it used from my cousin when he sold his Ford 3000 and bought a Kubota 8540. It was a bit small so he sold it to me for what they offered him on trade in - $500. Bit big for my tractor, but I make do by going slower and overlapping a bit. With the overlap, the edge of the tiller made pretty decent rows for the corn this year.:biggrin: The too large of tiller for the tractor really makes you appreciate the hydrostat transmission and how you can adjust your speed to fit the terrain.

jwstewar

Did you put your pumpkins in already? I did, then a couple days later I realized I probably put them in too early if I want them around Halloween.

I did, I think the package said around 115 days to harvest. Figure that puts it toward the end of Sept. That is about when you see the pumpkins start appearing in the store, so hopefully I'll be OK.

I'm going to try to be better with the garden this year in keeping weeds under control. I think I'm going to stop at Menards and get some cheap weed fabric to put down around the pumpkins and melons.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the nice drying breeze has turned into a severe storm warning with a tornado watch on top of that!:hammer::hammer: Just hope we don't get what we got Sunday night.

Lia

Banned
Well the nice drying breeze has turned into a severe storm warning with a tornado watch on top of that!:hammer::hammer: Just hope we don't get what we got Sunday night.

Oh no! I hope the forecasters are as wrong as the UK forecaster usually are! Let us know how you go on hon... I'm so sorry.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bill - I'm looking at the radar for your area. That intense cell has split in half and it looks like it's going to go right around you (1/2 to the north, the other 1/2 to the south).

Hoping for your sake, it stays that way!!!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It looks like it is going to hit right out front where the tornado was Sunday night. I wonder what is up with all these storms this year following along the border! At least it has dropped the temp by 8 degrees already.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Almost. Black and nasty looking to the south where the tornado hit and sun is shining again in my garden and north fields. Crazy weather!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Half of my garden is tilled and planted. The other half has been tilled once but since so many weeds have moved in I will till it one more time and plant it early next week when I get my tractor back. :hammer::hammer:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You need a 40 yr. old one like mine. It always starts and runs for me. Has a hand shuttle shift so it is easy to till with.