• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

One advantage to owning a horse farm...

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
12" of pure black garden gold. (5 year old compost)

Attachments

• IMG_20110507_131652.jpg
    IMG_20110507_131652.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 54

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave, can you load up the pick up with a pile of that and drive over here? I'm trying to grow some grass on my hardpack clay and its coming in pretty thin and sparse!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Dave, can you load up the pick up with a pile of that and drive over here? I'm trying to grow some grass on my hardpack clay and its coming in pretty thin and sparse!

No, but if you swing by with the TDI, I'll put a couple scoops in the trunk for ya.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Now Dave, I'm jealous. Not about the horse farm, horses are like dairy cows ... too much work, but in my opinion horse manure makes the very best compost for the garden. Strangely enough, living in East Texas, surrounded by horse places and horse lovers, I can't get my hands on any of the stuff.

When we lived in the country outside London, we had a stable about 10 minutes away. They would give you the manure and straw just to get rid of it. I hauled dozens upon dozens upon dozens of trash sacks of that stuff back to the house. I never kept it for 5 years but after two that stuff would grow rhubarb five feet tall. I had a little veggie garden but it kept the two of us fed the whole year and I had the best looking rose garden in the village. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I only have a few skidsteer buckets of horse manure left. It is now 3 years old and if it would dry up so I don't sink the machine it will go in my boxes in front of the new greenhouse. I load the garden up with cow dung every spring but it is not as good as horse crap.