• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Planted my grass!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Man I'm hoping I got lucky! I've been waiting to plant my new 2 acres (result from the well drilling) with grass and I believe I hit a great weekend for it. I've disc and raked this plot 3 times but it was just too dry to take the chance of putting seed down. It finished raining Friday evening and by Saturday afternoon it was suitable to rake. Got done about 7PM Saturday with the spreading and it was pretty dry by the time I was done. Well, I woke up to a nice fine rain and scattered rain is in the forecast till Wednesday......woohoo! Just got it in between rain storms. I've been wanting to post update pics for BH.........
smile.gif
. Spread 600 pounds a material (lime, fertilizer and grass) yesterday!

I even added a little clover for the deers ..............
biggrin.gif

Damn I hope it takes!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Big Dog,

Isn't is a bit warm for planting grass this time of year. We won't plant anything even the spray on grass stuff around here this time of year. Either early spring or fallish time. Otherwise the heat just burns the seed. But then I don't know your weather conditions much?

murph

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, one of my concerns.............. I researched it and they say it's possible so I took the chance. I'm tired of looking at a 2 acre bare spot! It will depend on the temperature we get over the next couple weeks.

Sorta why I said "Damn, I hope it takes"

*edit* ......... just took a look at the forecast Lows mid 50's - high's nothing over 80 ------- possibility of rain everyday!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Murph, I've also never had luck planting grass in the summer. Then again I have terrible clay conditions and have bare spots where even weeds won't grow on some areas of my yard. The worst areas for me are near the house!

BD, you need to make sure it keeps raining for a couple of weeks, that or you might want to get out the sprinklers and hoses and keep the area moist. The first 30 days or so are critical.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What's another $100 for 500' (or 600') of hose? ............. :yum:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey, I lost more in 30 minutes at Vegas last time I was out!

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I never plant clover, but it seems to just occur naturally. I don't do anything to encourage the deer to leave the woods and get close to the house. They do it enough without encouragement. They never eat the clover, but they do love the flowers and hosta.....There was a glass ball at the top of the stand, but the deer knocked it off and it broke....:mad:

Attachments

• MVC-027F.JPG
    MVC-027F.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 74
  • MVC-026F.JPG
    MVC-026F.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 75

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
I never plant clover, but it seems to just occur naturally. I don't do anything to encourage the deer to leave the woods and get close to the house. They do it enough without encouragement. They never eat the clover, but they do love the flowers and hosta.....There was a glass ball at the top of the stand, but the deer knocked it off and it broke....:mad:

Neat pics ................. We have regular deer visitors and I too want to encourage their sticking around.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Around here, you don't have to encourage them. They won't leave because they are too well fed with our plantings. Some just ignore the dogs barking and are not phased by humans. They feel very safe since this entire area is sort of a game preserve. The hunters take quite a few from the surrounding area, so we don't have a over population of them, and what is in this immediate area are well fed. Raccoons, on the other hand, as far as I am concerned, should be open season 12 months of the year! They don't come around because of the dogs, and the coyote have been keeping them in check.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I planted lawn in July last year. It just takes lots of watering. You can't let the soild dry out. It will actually grow really fast if you keep it wet enough.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like you have a good forecast BD.

I've been watching showers blossom over Butler county and heading your way. Long term forecast looks perfect as well.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's getting 2 weeks worth now..................jeez!
Brian you getting this?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Doc said:
Congrats BD. Sounds like you timed it as good as possible for this time of year.
You might have been able to use one of these cool traveling tractor sprinklers but it looks like they are sold out. :(
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTEUnpublishedItem?storeId=6970&langId=-1&rfno=200324657

I know ......enough hose would be the real problem. :D

Doc,

I got two of them traveling sprinklers. Work great, except for in new sod or dirt like Big Dog has. They just get stuck, you need a 4 wheel drive version which they don't make yet.

My neighbor planted or should I say sprayed his dirt with the foam or whatever about a month ago. Had great weather for three weeks and the seed started coming up. But then when he should have been watering it he didn't and now it is all burnt and I don't think it is coming back. We had a 3 week period where it was over 90 just about all the time.

Just keep her wet.

murph

Cityboy

Banned
What kind of grass did you plant BD? I don't know about Penn but here in Ga., common bermudagrass does well when planted in the summer, especially if you get rain like you're getting. I planted 8 acres in early April and its only rained maybe 4 good times since, but over 50% has come up into a good stand and is hanging in there despite the drought. I'll plant some rye in October and then try the bermuda again in May next year.

Post some pics!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, very Nice BD. I see why you'd rather plant now than wait till fall. With all this rain it sure oughta get a good start today. :thumb:
You have nice views all around and no neighbors to mess with you!!! :a1: :thumb:

BoneheadNW

Dogster-
Nice place! How much property do you own? Once the lawn comes up, how are you planning on watering it during the summer? I have about 3/4 acre of lawn and it is a pain moving the various sprinklers around.
Bonehead

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Biodog,

How is your grass seed coming up? Are you getting enough rain to keep the grass going or is it dry like it is here?

murph

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was waiting to give a report and as of now it is coming up but sparce. I'm pretty sure it washed, we got 8 inches the day after I planted. It's pretty good at the most obvious drain areas but I'm sure we just got too much rain the 48 hours after planting..............:(

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bummer. I can tell you that I have a hard time with getting grass to grow too. The best things I have found are GOOD PREPARATION, GOOD TIMING and STRAW MATS. If I recall you did the soil prep, but the timing was obviously bad with 8" of rain following the seeding. If it helps you feel any better, even if you spread down the straw erosion mats after seeding that 8" of rain would have washed it all away.

So consider yourself lucky . . . you didn't lose the cost of the straw erosion mats too!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Went out to prep some patches and thought I'd take some pictures. BTW.........20 acres BH!

Front porch before and after........

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 65

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
End of driveway before and after........

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 64

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
On the hill before and after........

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 66

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Misc ............

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 65

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks good BD. I spent today getting ready to seed a few areas. I'm picking up 50lb of seed tomorrow. That about guarentees we won't have much rain in Sept in my area. :pat:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Dang it BD,

Was looking for a girl in all of them pics and did not find one. Last set of pics you had us look at we were suppose to find a tractor and I don't think anyone did. :yum: :yum:

Job well done though otherwise. I will be seeding about 30 lbs of seed next week some time.. Have to get rid of a stump first that has me stumped.

murph