• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anti-ACORN activist may be charged in illegal wiretap scheme

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If this is true, this guy deserves to be punished. I think the congresswoman is crooked, but private citizens cannot take the law into their own hands in the way that is being alleged. It will be interesting to see how this story plays out.
4 charged in phone scheme at La. senator's office
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100126/ap_on_re_us/us_senator_s_office_arrests
By MICHAEL KUNZELMAN, Associated Press Writer – 5 mins ago

NEW ORLEANS – A conservative activist who posed as a pimp to target the community-organizing group ACORN and the son of a federal prosecutor were among four people arrested and accused of trying to interfere with phones at Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu's office.

Activist James O'Keefe, 25, was already in Landrieu's New Orleans office Monday when Robert Flanagan and Joseph Basel, both 24, showed up claiming to be telephone repairmen, U.S. Attorney Jim Letten's office said Tuesday. Letten says O'Keefe recorded the two with his cell phone.

Flanagan, the son of acting U.S. Attorney Bill Flanagan in Shreveport, and Basel asked for access to a phone at the reception desk. Then they asked for access to a phone closet so they could work on the phone system. The men were directed to another office in the building, where they again said they were telephone repairmen.

They were arrested later by U.S. marshals. Details of the arrest were not available. A fourth man, Stan Dai, 24, was also arrested, but Letten's office said only that he assisted the others in planning, coordinating and preparing.

It sounded a bit like a Watergate-style operation, but federal officials have not yet said why the men wanted to interfere with Landrieu's phones, whether they were successful, or even if the goal was political espionage.

Landrieu, a moderate Democrat, declined comment Tuesday through spokesman Aaron Saunders. Saunders did say Landrieu was in Washington, not in her office, when the men showed up Monday. Landrieu has been in the news recently because she negotiated an increase in Medicaid funds for her state before announcing her support for Senate health care legislation.

Bill Flanagan's office confirmed his son was among those arrested, but declined further comment.

An FBI criminal complaint charging the men was unsealed Tuesday, and a magistrate set bond at $10,000 each after they made their initial court appearances wearing red prison jumpsuits.

None of the defendants commented on the allegations in court.

"It was poor judgment," Robert Flanagan's lawyer, Garrison Jordan, said in a brief interview outside the courthouse. "I don't think there was any intent or motive to commit a crime."

Eddie Castaing, who represented O'Keefe, Dai and Basel, said he had no details on the allegations.

"We are just grateful that they were not detained ... and they can go home to their families," he said.

O'Keefe was the brains behind a series of undercover videos that have caused major problems for ACORN — the Association of Community Organizers for Reform Now.​

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
If the government won't flush out their snakes, then somebody has to.

Not sayin' what they did was right, just that somebody needs to do something about these lyin thieves.

I wonder who else they've tapped into and what will come out sooner or later......

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
If true, he needs punishment. As they say, two wrongs don't make a right. Good intent does not justify the means.

If true, his credibility for further acorn assassination is done. Potentially this could negate or be a point toward negation of his work against acorn, too.

Stupid, never the less.

bill w

oh i think acorn will FINALLY get what is coming to em....no more money....lol..if this guy did what they accuse him of...then punish him accordingly...but don't even try to say it villifies what acorn has done over the last ten years or so...we aren't buying it...and you are just making yourself look like a bigger fool...bill w

Gina

If true, yes they derserve to be punished, absolutely!

I think they believed whatever they might find out (though I have no clue if Landrieu is crooked and I am not suggesting she is) would excuse their illegal behavior. The hubris of the young and very stupid. As said above, lawbreaking doesn't make it right.

Treefriend

Banned
These pukes never had any credibility. Hopefully in addition to felony charged they will

tack on damages for a group who has done so much good work in the past.

Treefriend

Banned
Why? Because I'm not part of your "in" crowd? From my point of view the imbecilic

and unfounded criticism of ACORN and the wink-and-a-nod forgiveness for these

law breakers is trolling. Sure, you guys call the shots and have the power but

that does not make the nature of your posts any different than mine.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
From my point of view the imbecilic

and unfounded criticism of ACORN and the wink-and-a-nod forgiveness for these

law breakers is trolling.

So in your view ACORN is good?
I know of nothing worthwhile that ACORN has done.
I do know about the registration of phantom voters.
And that they advise on how to set up prostitution rings and avoid taxes.
Is this all good in your view?

Please show where anyone said a wink and a nod forgiveness for the law breakers. I do not see that anywhere in this thread. :confused:

RedRocker

ACORN was partially responsible for the housing bubble that brought down
our economy, they've done wonderful things huh? Like I said, can't fix stupid.