• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Daughter just passed her EMT test & practicals . . .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Last year Melen volunteered with the Wake Forest University Ambulance Service and they suggested that she become a licensed Emergency Medical Technician if she really wanted to do some good. So this summer she has been taking classes to get her multi-state license.

Yesterday she took her final exam, passed it with an "A"

She just called the house about 5 minutes ago, she was taking the 'practical' part of the exam (hands on skills demonstrations) and also passed that part with flying colors!

So now she has to take the multi-state license exam and it will all be official.

Not sure what her ultimate plans are, but she is going to school following a pre-law study program and has been talking about entering law school to study Maritime Law. Volunteering for the Ambulance Service is sometihing that she loves to do, but it doesn't really fit into her career plans. I wonder if her career plans will veer off into something medicine related? If so, fine. If not, fine. I'm just glad she is finding things that she really enjoys doing and volunteer work is not a bad thing to do.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's GREAT!

Jim

I dunno. She is such a know-it-all that it gets pretty annoying living with her, thankfully she goes back to college in a couple more weeks. Its so much more peaceful when she is almost a 1000 miles away.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I dunno. She is such a know-it-all that it gets pretty annoying living with her, thankfully she goes back to college in a couple more weeks. Its so much more peaceful when she is almost a 1000 miles away.

You sure talk tough .... but we know better.

By the way, congrats to her. I love it when young people volunteer and being an EMT is a really worthwhile and fulfilling thing to be.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
you be proud of her-- many Parents won't get to say that.

great job, melen, & her Dad.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Congratulations to her. She might want to learn about epilepsy on her own.
The firefighters in my area double as paramedics. I have talked to them; they are a great bunch of people but unfortunately have virtually no training about epilepsy.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Fantastic! Be sure to congratulate her! I had passed a similar certification in college (back when I thought I was going to go to med school) and used my training once and it really bothered me. I'm sure you can probably find the info somewhere on the internet, but if used my training on the owner of "Danners" (remember them Bob?) when he died at Purdue's Grand Prix.

I was walking in to the crowded event when an older gentleman in front of me just dropped. My training was fresh and immediately kicked in. I rolled him over and he was already a deep purple blue color and wasn't breathing and had absolutely no pulse. I cleared his airway and immediately began CPR while asking if ANYONE else there was trained in CPR. After what seemed like a half hour a doctor and event medics took over for me.

It wasn't pretty. I later found out that he was dead by the time he hit the ground and his heart was apparently just mush. He would not have survived if he was in a hospital operating room when he had his massive cardio infarction. That is when I realized that I was trained to perform the necessary actions but had no training in dealing with the fact that most people needing CPR do not make it. I guess the training I had was good but did not include the mental training that let you know most people who need what you are trained and certified to do won't live. Hopefully your daughter has been better trained in that aspect and doesn't have a first experience like mine. I've always had a much greater respect for first responders after that event. God bless her.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . . Hopefully your daughter has been better trained in that aspect and doesn't have a first experience like mine. I've always had a much greater respect for first responders after that event. God bless her.

She had to do clinic hours in hospital emergency rooms and also had to work with an ambulance service making runs. Class time was 6 hours a day, 3 days a week, and her last class was Wednesday of last week, with the course final on Friday. She heard about a lot of horror stories of people who could not be saved, but I am pretty positive she had no first hand experience with that yet.

Saturday was the State of Indiana 'practical' exam (I think) and sometime in the next week or so she will take the written portion and a national written as well. At least I think that is what she is doing.

Not sure if this is going to change her education direction. It may. She is pre-law now, looking into Maritime law as her specialty. But the way she is talking things may have to pivot to something different. She seems to really like this. Her goal was to get this license so she could volunteer as an E.M.T. on the Wake Forest campus in their ambulance service, but this class seems to have inspired more.

From the 'dad' perspective, knowing the lifestyle she has lived so far, I wonder if there is any way she can follow this sort of path and earn enough income to keep her even reasonably comfortable. I'm sure she has no idea how much she costs me. But knowing the income potential for even highly trained 'first responders' it is doubtful that she could make enough to keep herself comfortable, unless she re-defines comfort. I think Paramedics make about 30-to-40% more than E.M.T.s and they don't make a lot of money either.

I simply don't see her doing the "Doctor" thing. Maybe a researcher, but not a doctor dealing with people.

Of course I'm going to be supportive of whatever she chooses.