• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Leaves

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
its nearly leaf season, infact theyre starting to come down here, so what do you do with the leaves that fall on your lawn?

I have heard of people mulching them, but i cant help but think that would just add to the layer of junk in your lawn, afterall, mulching only makes them smaller, it doesnt get rid of them.
Collecting them too, but if youve got a large amount of grass I expect you collect huge amounts, and who wants to rake anyway?

Personally, I just mow once a week while the leaves are falling, and they get sucked up by the collector. And if they arent where the mower goes, well, I just 'leaves' them right there. :a1:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Mith said:
its nearly leaf season, infact theyre starting to come down here, so what do you do with the leaves that fall on your lawn?

I have heard of people mulching them, but i cant help but think that would just add to the layer of junk in your lawn, afterall, mulching only makes them smaller, it doesnt get rid of them.
Collecting them too, but if youve got a large amount of grass I expect you collect huge amounts, and who wants to rake anyway?

Personally, I just mow once a week while the leaves are falling, and they get sucked up by the collector. And if they arent where the mower goes, well, I just 'leaves' them right there. :a1:

There is nothing quite like the smell of burning leaves to bring back childhood memories.

Personally, I just let the grass clippings and chopped up leaves lay on the grass, and you are right...my lawn is in need of a serious de-thatching.

Cityboy

Banned
DaveNay said:
There is nothing quite like the smell of burning leaves to bring back childhood memories.

Personally, I just let the grass clippings and chopped up leaves lay on the grass, and you are right...my lawn is in need of a serious de-thatching.

A good core aeration twice a year eliminates the need for dethatching. I've never raked leaves or bagged grass since I have been a home owner, or when I operated my landscape maintenance business. Leaves and grass clippings contain nutrients your lawn needs. Core aeration relieves compaction and brings useful bacteria to the surface and helps the thatch decompose, plus, the best time to apply fertilizer is after aeration. Of course, if you let your grass grow a foot between mowings you might develop some thatch issues that are a little tougher to deal with.

BoneheadNW

Cityboy said:
A good core aeration twice a year eliminates the need for dethatching. I've never raked leaves or bagged grass since I have been a home owner, or when I operated my landscape maintenance business. Leaves and grass clippings contain nutrients your lawn needs. Core aeration relieves compaction and brings useful bacteria to the surface and helps the thatch decompose, plus, the best time to apply fertilizer is after aeration. Of course, if you let your grass grow a foot between mowings you might develop some thatch issues that are a little tougher to deal with.
Yeah, what he said. Mulch, aerate, fertilize.
Bone

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I pretty much do what CityBoy does.

Unless the volume is way too much, when mowing all season or doing leaves in the fall, I always mow with the mower chute pointing inward (into the next row to be mowed). By doing so, I cut the clippings/leaves over and over.

Using that method, there's either nothing left to pick up or I have a windrow or 2 to pick up when done. For that, I put the 42" catcher behind the ATV and pick them up. This then ends up in the compost pile.