• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

oil seal install help needed jd gator

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a late model 855d gator and I thought this would be an easy one. I removed the seal and noticed a lip on the outside and a 1/2 " grove inside that the seal sets in. So it looks like you have to split the case to get the seal in. This is what it looks like but why have one like this.
the manual has that you"install the seal with an appropriate seal driver" and that's all it says. My seal driver is just tapping it in .
l hope you can see what I mean. Should I just push/tap it in? I gave it a shot on measuring the hole but cant get a good reading with the shaft in the center.
it looks like it has to go over the lip and into the grove like a snqp ring
the new jd seal is nothing special and like a regular seal that you tap in.
placing the seal next to it looks like a tight fit.
I may put some silicone in the grove and give tapping a try.
suggestions?
jim
DSC00489.jpg

DSC00487.jpg

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00877.jpg

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Make a seal driver with a radius that is close to the od of the new seal. you only need about 3/4 of it so cut out enough to clear the shaft dia. Then just work your way around the new seal tapping a bit at a time.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use a socket at times . my heavy 2 3/8 one inch drive is slightly smaller. I just tap on the socket.
I am thinking the seal may be set in past the deeper groove . I'll measure the depth when I get out today. I never payed much attention when I pried the old one out.
my 0ver 60 yrs eyes don't see as well anymore and I miss things.
thanks

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just seeing this thread for the first time.

What's the large hole doing in the splines in this pic?

DSC00487.jpg

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I took the small grinder and removed the lip and the seal tapped right in. the lip was part of the casting and was smaller diameter than the seal.

i'll never buy a deere product again. service and quality is crap.

the hole is for a locking bolt.
DSC00510.jpg

DSC00511.jpg

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I always put a thin film of muti-purpose grease on the inside lip where the seal rides on the shaft so on start up the new seal won't run dry and burn. (2 cents)