• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
A friend asked me to come to their acreage to teach her, her husband and kids how to shoot guns. And then going back to a gun show in Council Bluffs to maybe buy a pistol. Don't need it but but I like it.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
This morning I took the container back down to the shop. Then cleaned out the inside, after that I broke down the pallet of solar panels, put the pallet inside the container. Then loaded all the panels back on the pallet one at a time. It was time consuming due to there is only a 24" gap between the container and the rack on the truck. Tomorrow I will put the angle setting tubes and the other 2- 4x4"x1/4" tubes for supporting the front of the container and strap everything down. I still have to go get 10- 80# bags of concrete to go in there also. It goes to the Mountain next Thursday.

Attachments

• IMG_1147.jpg
    IMG_1147.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 77

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
After a very relaxing day, I made dinner.
Also face timed with Maddie and Elaina.
Washed the car.
Now I'm back home avoiding phone calls from work. Lol
I did pick up a noon-6p shift on Monday.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I finally dragged my butt out there and finished spraying the bottom of the yard for bugs, especially ants. I treated the whole yard about 2 weeks ago and the little buggers keep pushing up new hills. There are some new ones on the part of the yard that I sprayed on Thursday. I can tell that this is going to be a battle of attrition. Unfortunately for them, I have gallons of insecticide.

After that I spent about an hour hunting down a battery tender for the little tractor. It didn't want to start today and the battery is only 4 months old. I know that I have 3 of them but could only find 2. That really chapped me so I set off on a hunt and seek expedition. I eventually found the missing one in the office and got it hooked up. What the hell was it doing there?

Don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow. There are a couple of things that need doing. I may just pick one and go with it.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Up at 7am. On the road home from camp by 8am. Home at 9. By 9:30, I had a trailer load of crushed gravel spread on the driveway heading to the house as it washes out every time it rains. The gravel will hopefully improve that. No pictures yet of the drive with the gravel.

At physio then hopefully going to look at another truck camper as mine is in need of a new roof and frankly I don't want to get into replacing it so I'll just sell as is and get something else.
0f34c9cea44b2dc0a69c033aaba6034e.jpg
cc22c181643ab5fd2b385f40383a9b8c.jpg

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Today I unboxed my phase converter and assembled it, then mounted the control box. I made a list of electrical components to get it wired up and will go shopping for them after lunch. Also need to get the concrete for the container installation. The weather cooled off into the 90's but still hot. Last night we got dry lightning in our county, it woke us up around 1:30 am and lasted an hour. This morning a bunch of fires had been reported. Its very smokey with ash around here. There are fires all over the state and the entire west side of the US. Now I just got an alert telling us they will shut off the power from 10 am until 1:30 pm. Gonna be a fun day.

Attachments

• IMG_1149.jpg
    IMG_1149.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1150.jpg
    IMG_1150.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1151.jpg
    IMG_1151.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 65

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Just got back from the lake camp. I know it's Labor Day in just two weeks but we just now had the time to set up camp for the summer. The Tiny House Forest River Camper we bought to tour the West this summer has been parked nor two months. Covid-19 has our plans changed from this year to next year because we are too busy at work . Besides, many of the vacation sites are limited or closed.

So, since this is more or less a permanent campsite for the kids whilst Cathy and I enjoy the sailboat "ALONE," I went all out and built a deck and fire pit. With a canopy.

All the comforts of home the camper plus a great view from the deck.
Our season goes till November so still plenty of time.

I have Pictures from Cathy's new I phone to post later.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Today is a special day for us. We've been working towards this for 6 years from the start of the whole process to become foster parents with the ultimate goal of adopting. At 9:30am, we have a zoom meeting set up with a judge to finalize the adoption of our foster daughter Hollie.

Other than that, today is dump day. I missed last week so the house garage is filling up with stinky garbage.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
We lost 2 residents to covid over the past few days.
22 staff members are now positive.
Again, this is turning into something not expected at all.
Pray for us.
Thanks.
I'm back tomorrow on the 12.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Today is a special day for us. We've been working towards this for 6 years from the start of the whole process to become foster parents with the ultimate goal of adopting. At 9:30am, we have a zoom meeting set up with a judge to finalize the adoption of our foster daughter Hollie.

I hope it goes well. It takes the government only days to background someone for a top secret clearance but six years for this!

I hope it goes well for your family. Hollie deserves your love and security. Please keep us posted.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
We lost 2 residents to covid over the past few days.
22 staff members are now positive.
Again, this is turning into something not expected at all.
Pray for us.
Thanks.
I'm back tomorrow on the 12.

That's so sad! I hope they find a cure for covid ASAP.

Praying for all of you!

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Found out last night there is a big fire up on the mountain where the cabin is. Couldn't get a straight answer from Calfire or the forestry service. I was able to get in touch with the Sheriff that agreed to send someone to check it out if they can get up there, I haven't heard anything yet. I am going to drive up there tomorrow and see for myself.:shitHitFan:

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Instead of a relaxing country drive yesterday, I ended up chatting with some residents in Walnut, Iowa, which is just a few miles from Avoca. I noticed a Trump flag so I stopped and asked the lady of the house if she wanted a Trump yard sign. She said 'YES' and then told me her husband is a farmer and has farmland next to Interstate 80, which is the most traveled interstate in the country. I asked her if he would be interested in having a Trump barn sign on his property. She is going to talk with him. I gave her my phone number. She suggested I talk with Ed across the street and he was grateful for a Trump yard sign. Between talking with both if them, I spent over an hour of enjoyable conversation there.

Today I'm going to the gym and there is a Trump gathering in Council Bluffs this evening starting at 1800 hours. For civilians that is 6:00 PM and for liberals, it's when the big hand is on 12 and the little hand is on 6. I might take another drive to see who wants Trump signs too.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Damn pg. That sucks. Hopefully you all get the covid under control before losing anyone else.

Up here, masks are mandatory in all enclosed spaces businesses etc. Every business has a handwashing station. We must be doing something right as there are only 2 confirmed cases for a population of over 230000 people spread over a 900 square miles. And just south of us across the border, cases are rampant. At this rate it'll be next year before the border reopens. And I'm fine with that. Keep it closed until the states can get their $hit together and fight this thing unlike the mess we're seeing now.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Damn pg. That sucks. Hopefully you all get the covid under control before losing anyone else.

Up here, masks are mandatory in all enclosed spaces businesses etc. Every business has a handwashing station. We must be doing something right as there are only 2 confirmed cases for a population of over 230000 people spread over a 900 square miles. And just south of us across the border, cases are rampant. At this rate it'll be next year before the border reopens. And I'm fine with that. Keep it closed until the states can get their together and fight this thing unlike the mess we're seeing now.

I'm hoping like hell it's gotten as far as it's going to go.
For months we were the county in northern Ohio that was safe.
Needless to say the environment isn't a barrel of fun, but I believe we're going to get through the next month without losing many more.
The gentleman I thought for sure would never make it back to us did.
:smile:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Found out last night there is a big fire up on the mountain where the cabin is. Couldn't get a straight answer from Calfire or the forestry service. I was able to get in touch with the Sheriff that agreed to send someone to check it out if they can get up there, I haven't heard anything yet. I am going to drive up there tomorrow and see for myself.:shitHitFan:

The sheriff sent me an update and a couple pictures.
The Cabin made it without damage.
The shed that my son was fixing up that had the generator in it, not so good. The sheriff got the pictures and report from the forestry service and they didn't say anything about the tracked Suzuki mini truck either way, I'm hoping that is a good thing. They won't let anyone up there for a few more days as they want to check for damaged, dangerous trees along the road. I think I will hold off and do a turn around trip on Saturday. I know for sure that I need a new generator there was another little outbuilding that I am sure is gone that was down buy where the power container will be. There was a lot of dry Manzanita around it and the fire came from that direction. there is one more out building ( the old shit house ) I dont know about that one either. I feel lucky, there are a lot more folks that did not do so good.

Attachments

• IMG_1159.jpg
    IMG_1159.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1158.jpg
    IMG_1158.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 53

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Wow. At least the cabin survived.

Today was a good day. We started out with the very first zoom adoption in our city since covid hit and are proud to say that we officially have an addition to the family.

Shortly after I decided to list the truck camper for sale as I will be going to look at/buy one this Sunday. A couple hours later, mine sold for almost twice what I paid for it 6 years ago.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I forgot to mention my other bit of good news. I finally closed the deal on a house I've been floating as a rental since 2012. I lived in it for a few years with my ex then held onto it with long term tenants paying everything. We sold our last house in the city where we lived for 6 years in February then in April I sold the smaller one I've had since 99. Now the bigger of the two houses I still owned is sold. Yay!

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I met a guy cutting the trees last spring near the cabin and exchanged information, I gave him a call and he was up there so he went to my property and sent me some more pictures I didn't want to see and a report I didn't want to hear. The cabin made it unscathed but everything else is gone, Suzuki on tracks, 3 out buildings with building materials inside and he didn't see my 1500 gallon water tank. I guess it is what it is. There were a lot of folks and some in the future that lost everything. The fires are still raging. I have got about 5 years before all the fuel grows back to Harden the place against fire. What is causing the fires is what they call Dry lightning, what causes it is the heat wave we have been in for weeks and then a thunder storm rolls in but the ground temperature evaporates the rain before it hits the ground, then all you have is high winds, thunder and lightening then big fires.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 104

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
At least the cabin is ok. I hate you’re having to start over with everything else.

Jim

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Me too, but in the grand scheme of things like losing the cabin. There is no lesson like the one that hurts you and I got off with a slap on the wrist this time. I have to Harden the property to fire which is going to mean thinning the trees around the cabin and not leaving any equipment or vehicles there that are not protected in a container. I think the reason the cabin didn't go is it has a stone foundation and I enclosed the open porch last year, the fire couldn't get under anything. I plan to do a turn around trip there soon to access things.

Bannedjoe

Me too, but in the grand scheme of things like losing the cabin. There is no lesson like the one that hurts you and I got off with a slap on the wrist this time. I have to Harden the property to fire which is going to mean thinning the trees around the cabin and not leaving any equipment or vehicles there that are not protected in a container. I think the reason the cabin didn't go is it has a stone foundation and I enclosed the open porch last year, the fire couldn't get under anything. I plan to do a turn around trip there soon to access things.

Dammit, sorry to hear about this.
It sucks.
But I'm willing to bet you'll come back bigger and stronger.

And PG, you're some kind of trouper.
I'll say it again, I couldn't do it.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
P_G, this is sad. This has to be a heavy mental burden on everyone there, including you I hope things turn around soon.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
We hope so too, Lenny.
We've had 8 agency workers sign contracts to come and work with us until we see the other side of it.
There are so many of the regular staff off from being positive, it's unreal.
As of today, I've not heard of any progression or decline in my loves.
That makes me smile.
Yesterday was a blessing having caring, dedicated people from the outside.
They are good!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I had an adventurous 24 hours. Lol. I came out to camp with a buddy to go fishing [emoji476] yesterday around noon. We fished all day. Caught a few fish. Drank a few beers by the fire. Woke up this morning and hit the water again for a few hours. Then we headed to an abandoned gravel pit to load some gravel for home.

On the way home is where things got interesting. We were using his trailer. All of a sudden...POW. Flat tire on the trailer. Wouldn't you know it. No spare tire. Luckily we were by a gravel pit on the highway so I slowly backed it down off the highway and left it there. Back to town 30 miles down the road. To search for a new tire. Luckily we managed to find a couple after making 20 calls to different places around the city. Back out to the trailer with my flat deck to offload some of the gravel and change the flat. Then back home to offload the gravel and load up a few things then drove back to camp.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My son had corona symptoms of sore throat, headache, diarrhea and fever. He was tested Monday. Still no results back. It seems like a mild flu, which is how I've heard it described.

Last weekend was his wife's bday so we all spent Saturday and Sunday boating together on the water. I have sore throat and yesterday the headache started. So yesterday I went for the test. I do not feel bad. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.