• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Does Teflon cause cancer?

Does Teflon cause cancer?

• Yes, definately!

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Nope! No way!

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 11 84.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
What do you think? I know what the researchers say and all. Just thought this would be a good discussion to have.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Seems like EVERYTHING causes cancer. Fuck it. I'm going to have a salami sandwich with Miracle Whip for breakfast.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Seems like EVERYTHING causes cancer. Fuck it. I'm going to have a salami sandwich with Miracle Whip for breakfast.

I am of the same opinion. Seems everything nowdays causes cancer. I'm almost tempted to close myself off in a plastic bubble to protect myself but the plastic would probably give me cancer also. As well as the air that got trapped in the bubble with me.

I've been having this debate with my GF over the past month and we haven't settled it yet. She swears by her stainless steel pots. I hate em. I swear by my teflon coated non stick pots. She hates em saying they cause cancer. I'm of the opinion that everything these days causes cancer.

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Groomer,

Get on E bay, and find yourself some good old Griswald cast iron pots and pans. They don't stick, and have no teflon. I love mine...

Regards, Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Teflon is just one more thing to cast suspicion on. The way medical science changes their warning every few years I try not to worry about any of it. First eggs are bad, then they are good etc. The plastic in so much of what we use all the time is blamed the same as teflon. I do know that teflon is toxic for birds if a pan gets scorched. We still use pans with it as well as stainless and cast iron. We got away from the cast iron skillets because of the weight as we got older. If the woman is cooking it should be her choice what to use.:whistling:

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Groomer,

Get on E bay, and find yourself some good old Griswald cast iron pots and pans. They don't stick, and have no teflon. I love mine...

Regards, Kirk
I agree. Teflon will never give me cancer cause I do not use the stuff. Yard sale will often yield a few old cast iron pieces. E bay works to, but the cost of shipping is high.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I only own two Teflon like pans both stainless steel by ScanPan for induction. Both pans are green in that they don't give off the bird killing fumes if scorched. I use them for cooking limited items only such as eggs, fish, grilled cheese sandwiches with little else. Mine are oven safe also which most aren't really.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I've got one teflon skillet, but rarely use it (omelets mostly)

One stainless steel dutch oven and several saucepans.
Love my Lodge CI skillet and grill pan.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the old stuff. A well seasoned Gris or Wagner skillet will out cook a new Teflon or SS pan any day. Nothing like cooking in copper. The single exception may be cooking eggs.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Just for the record,,,,,,,back inthe fifties thru the seveties,,,,Aluminum was feared as a major cause of alzheimers, cancer and other diseases for which we had no understanding.

Woody Allen once remarked in a movie his amazement that chocalate was considered health food in thefututre.

Well, the future has arrived and he was right. Good thing too as I love dark chocolate.

Coffee, root beer, butter,eggs, all of them are a conspiracy to kill you. We must control and regulate these dangers.:w00t2:

Fear is the tool of those who wish to control you. Be afraid, very afraid and we, the government, will save you with laws, the FDA, and the EPA. And besides, our buddies in the legal profession need the money.

BTW, I wouldn't touch an iron pan unless it was foundried in the USA. Stuff out of China is crap. And will likely kill you!:w00t2:

Jus' sayun'

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Teflon is just one more thing to cast suspicion on. The way medical science changes their warning every few years I try not to worry about any of it. First eggs are bad, then they are good etc. The plastic in so much of what we use all the time is blamed the same as teflon. I do know that teflon is toxic for birds if a pan gets scorched. We still use pans with it as well as stainless and cast iron. We got away from the cast iron skillets because of the weight as we got older. If the woman is cooking it should be her choice what to use.:whistling:

Thing is that I enjoy cooking but absolutely hate using stainless steel. If all I had to use was stainless, I wouldn't cook.

I agree with you. Everything is first bad for you, then good for you. Growing up, I remember hearing not to eat more then 3-4 eggs a week.

I do have one cast iron pan I like to use but not for everyday frying.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
As a side note, I think 60 minutes ran a piece about teflon in the past. If I remember correctly teflon is detectable in 85+% of the population. This is from multiple sources of teflon in our lives.....JFYI if you didn't know

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Back inthe Fifties, major bakeries started enriching their bread products with Iron. Put it right on the lable and in their adverstising.

"Fortified with Iron"

Does anyone know why?

Leni

I love my cast iron. Dad would even carry a 12" skillet on his back when we back packed into the High Sierras. Add butter and the trout were done to perfection.

A well seasoned CI is as good if not better than teflon. Yes it is heavy but I continue to use it anyhow. If necessary I'll use both hands. Nothing browns like it.