• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Apple's new iPAD > computer, browser, e-reader, etc

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
iPAD? that just sounds wrong...but it seems to have potential for something, I'm just not sure what? If the screen is glossy then it would probably make a lousy e-reader. With an on screen keyboard it has computer functionality but I question its computing power. I guess I don't understand the niche. Now if the screen is not glossy then it might make for a very nice e-reader, but the battery life is 10 hours, while NOOK and Kindle have a couple days of battery life.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/the-apple-ipad/
After nearly a decade of rumors and speculation, Apple's finally unveiled the iPad. It's a half-inch thick and weighs just 1.5 pounds, with a 9.7-inch capacitive touchscreen IPS LCD display, and it's running a custom 1GHz Apple "A4" chip developed by the P.A. Semi team, with a 10-hour battery life and a month of standby. It'll come in 16, 32, and 64GB sizes, and it's got the expected connectivity: very little. There's a 30-pin Dock connector, a speaker, a microphone, Bluetooth, and 802.11n WiFi, as well as an accelerometer and a compass. The device is managed by iTunes, just like the iPhone -- you sync everything over to your Mac. There's also a 3G version that comes with new data plans: 250MB for $14.99 and an unlimited plan for $29.99 a month. As expected, it can run iPhone apps -- either pixel-for-pixel in a window, or pixel-doubled fullscreen -- but developers can also target the new screen size using the updated iPhone OS SDK, which is available today.

Apple says there's room for a third device between the smartphone and the laptop, and that it has to be better at tasks like browsing, email, photos, e-books, and videos than both -- netbooks, says Steve, "aren't better at anything." It looks just like the leak we saw, with a large touchscreen keyboard that Steve says is "a dream to type on," and an interface that's very reminiscent of the iPhone, although it's significantly expanded and altered. The built-in apps are much more Mac-like than iPhone-like, with versions of iPhoto and iTunes that look like touch-oriented versions of their desktop counterparts. There's also some built-in location services that lets the Map app auto-locate, and the iTunes store is built-in for previewing and buying media.​
apple-creation-0097-rm-eng.jpg

And the less than serious take is already hitting YouTube:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eF0y0IfpPU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eF0y0IfpPU[/ame]

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
iPAD? that just sounds wrong...but it seems to have potential for something, I'm just not sure what? If the screen is glossy then it would probably make a lousy e-reader. With an on screen keyboard it has computer functionality but I question its computing power. I guess I don't understand the niche. Now if the screen is not glossy then it might make for a very nice e-reader, but the battery life is 10 hours, while NOOK and Kindle have a couple days of battery life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eF0y0IfpPU

It will be interesting to see the real world reviews and pricing.

I spend all day in front of a computer. I have no real desire for smart phone, iPod, or one of these but I think there is definitely a market for them.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Explained to be 1/2 way between the iPhone and a Laptop.

Another overpriced piece of iCrap to fill a nonexistent need that will only siphon off what little money the ignorant, consumer populace has to spend.

Gina

It makes me think of an over-sized calculator:

giant-calculator.jpg

The video is hysterical and MadTv is going to love that Apple named it iPad. Someone in marketing research should get fired though. That video clip is from 2006. Even if the skit didn't exist, it kind of makes Apple look silly for not avoiding such an easy skewering of it.

I know, lots of products are parodied without harm to their sales, but marketing professionals generally shy away from ready-made embarassments.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I spend all day in front of a computer. I have no real desire for smart phone, iPod, or one of these but I think there is definitely a market for them.
DING DING DING, another with my sentiment.

My cell phone. I don't accept text messages. If I want to call someone, I open it and dial them. To me, IT'S A PHONE, and nothing more.

The rest of the family got iPod Touches for Christmas. WTF, they won't get off of them... At least they leave my alone while I browse FF now...

Gina

DING DING DING, another with my sentiment.

My cell phone. I don't accept text messages. If I want to call someone, I open it and dial them. To me, IT'S A PHONE, and nothing more.

The rest of the family got iPod Touches for Christmas. WTF, they won't get off of them... At least they leave my alone while I browse FF now...

I text my kids. It's great for short to the point questions and answers. That's all I need from them, not a conversation. I don't text with anyone else.

They all have iPod touches and I have to say they were very cool when we had occasion to sit around a hospital last year. They used the wireless to kill time and ease the tension.