• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

602 Restore

dlmorindds

SUPER Site Supporter
OK--stupid question--but how do you get the wiper blade assembly off the wiper motor shaft???

Wipers 001.jpg

Wipers 002.jpg

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
You should be able to pull wiper arm assembly towards you or rather away from windshield, while at the same time pulling or prying off of motor shaft. these steps must be done simultaneously. I hope this helps you.:smile:

weatherby

This is the same arm, that clip needs to be pushed back which will make things much easier:thumb:

Attachments

• 001 (10).JPG
    001 (10).JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 2,523

dlmorindds

SUPER Site Supporter
To make it official I am well into the intial stages of restoring, or maybe dissassembling my 602 would be more correct. For a little history, the cat spent its whole life in Duboise Wyoming at the High Plains Rural Electirc. The orignal registration was in the cat and dated 12 Dec. 1963. Serial numer is #166. I bought the cat in March from Safety One. The Hobbs read 922 with 3200 miles on the speedometer.

Weatherby's thread of his 601 restore is beyond awesome. The level of detail and the quality of documenting and photographing of his restoration is the true gold standard. The information in his thread has been a tremendous help so far in this prodject. Sooooo, this isn't a copy-cat thread of Weatherby's, just a thread putting to use a whole bunch of his information. I can only hope I can take this cat close to Weatherby's standard.

So pipe in tell me what you think or tell me what an idiot I am, or if you have advice, give it. More pictures soon:w00t2:Thiokol_1-1.jpg

Cat Body removal 003.jpg

Cat Body removal 006.jpg

014.jpg

016.jpg

011.jpg

weatherby

Nice Pics... I remember those days well. What I'm trying to figure out though, is how did you REALLLLYYY lift that motor up.... Oooo I know, I bet you've got a neighbor with a Cub Cadet:biggrin:. Just kidding, that"s a very nice tractor also:thumb:

dlmorindds

SUPER Site Supporter
Started removing the sheet metal along the side of the frame. The underlying frame structure looks good. Would have had the last axel off but the 15/16" nut busted my 1/2" socket wrench. Also started painting of the heated core cover:clap:
016.jpg
017.jpg
018.jpg
015.jpg

weatherby

Was there another color under the brown color, like orange or blue? I wonder why that color was used? What color is under the orange on the body, or is that the original color? Keep up the good work:thumb:

dlmorindds

SUPER Site Supporter
Was there another color under the brown color, like orange or blue? I wonder why that color was used? What color is under the orange on the body, or is that the original color? Keep up the good work:thumb:

Weatherby--there is orange under the brown/bronze paint. It is a little confusing since the whole frame is painted this color along with the interior of the cab. The exterior of the cab appears to have always(?) been orange.

dlmorindds

SUPER Site Supporter
The inside collar of one of my hubs was fractured. Someone had attempted to repair this by brazing the missing fracture piece an. It had leaked like a sieve. I looked all over for a replacement hub but no luck. Instead, I had it machined down and restored to original dimensions with an insert sleeve:clap::clap:. The race and seal fit perfect. Also, got the heater core back. The core had to be replaced.
hub 001.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

dlmorindds

SUPER Site Supporter
More work on the frame and axels. The 4th axel had been bent at some time. This probably cause the failure in the cast mounting bracket.
015.jpg

017.jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

dlmorindds

SUPER Site Supporter
A 100 ton press operating at 40 tons did a pretty good job on truing up the axel. Was able to get the cast mounting bracket welded to repair the crack.:hammer:
Ax1.jpg

ax2.jpg

003.jpg

Repair.jpg

dlmorindds

SUPER Site Supporter
Just as a kick I thought I would post before and after pictures of the drive sprockets. Fallline recovered them with powder coating of all exposed metal surfaces. It will be awhile before these babies see the drive axles though:brows:
Sproketsbefore.jpg

sproketsafter.jpg

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Just as a kick I thought I would post before and after pictures of the drive sprockets. Fallline recovered them with powder coating of all exposed metal surfaces. It will be awhile before these babies see the drive axles though:brows:

How much? I have several that need to be renovated.

dlmorindds

SUPER Site Supporter
The summer special for the 600 series sprockets is $745 including shipping to Wyo. I believe each sprocket weighed 51 lbs.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I should have mentioned that the sprockets that I need renovated are Kristi sprockets. Hopefully half the size and weight equals half the price. :unsure: My 601 sprockets look fine, except for one little chunk out of one tooth.

*wow, i used "my 601" in a sentence. sounds pretty good. My 601. yup, i do like the sound of that.* :thumb:

dlmorindds

SUPER Site Supporter
Does anyone know what this short, rather narrow, droopy appendage is on the left back side of the 602 frame??:sad:

006.jpg

007.jpg