• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

In German crash test, China's Brilliance BS6 sedan fails miserably

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Check out this story on how well Chinese cars are doing in crash tests!

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/22/brilliance-bs6s-adac-crash-test-is-anything-but/

In German crash test, China's Brilliance BS6 sedan fails miserably

Posted Jun 22nd 2007 9:01AM by Alex Nunez

China's Brilliance BS6 is a recent entry into the European market, positioned as a premium-style import sedan at a budget price. Well, after seeing the videos of the car undergoing crash testing using Euro NCAP guidelines at the ADAC (Germany's AAA, essentially) test center, one thing's certain: buyers get what they pay for. The BS6, as currently constructed, appears to a complete piece of crap. The horrifying 40 mph offset frontal crash test video shows damage that can be described as catastrophic at best. The A-pillar collapses and folds up like a cheap suitcase, forcing the driver's door to pop largely out of its frame, while the lower portion of the car buckles like it's made of recycled pop cans. We wouldn't want to be the driver's legs...or any other part of him for that matter. To open the mangled door afterwards, the ADAC techs needed to use a huge crowbar to get it to budge. ADAC notes that the pedals intruded a foot and a half (32 cm) into the driver's space, while the IP moved in almost 8 inches (20 cm). Needless to say, the BS6 failed the test, garnering just 1 star.

Follow the jump for more coverage/opinion and the related videos. Thanks to Andy B. for the tip!

[Sources: ADAC (translated) via Autobild, AFX News via Forbes]

Gallery: Brilliance BS6 ADAC Crash test

The side-impact video's no picnic, either, as the driver's upper body takes the impact so hard, the injuries sustained would likely prove fatal. For all the crowing about Chinese cars and how they're an inevitability, if this is the kind of safety that they'll bring with them, have fun finding buyers. Back in April, Brilliance's head honcho said that this very model, the BS6, would be imported to the US either later this year or in 2008. You know what? Keep it.

After seeing the car's stellar crash performance in Deutschland, we wouldn't be caught dead in one. The good news for Europeans is that this disastrous test result might be enough to halt sales. That's what happened after the Jiangling Motors' Landwind SUV failed the same test in even more spectacular fashion in late 2005 (listen to the ADAC guys crack up after they see the Landwind result in that second link).

Until Chinese automakers get very serious about making and exporting cars that meet commonly-accepted occupant protection standards, the idea of them having any impact whatsoever in the safety-conscious United States market is laughable.

The videos are embedded below, and make sure you check out the stills in the gallery, too.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wasn't Daedong looking at a Chinese made SUV early this year? Apparently they are already imported to Australia from China. Seems to me Vin even started a thread on it somewhere.

daedong

Ssangyong is made in Korea, and use Mercedes technology. However China do own 50% in the company now. There is no Chinese cars in Australia, I am led to believe they are not allowed in to Australia because the don't meet standards.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Vin, my mistake, I thought you were considering a Chinese car. We don't have them here in the US either. I presume not in Canada either, as it seems their vehicle laws are pretty similar to the US vehicle standards.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I presume not in Canada either, as it seems their vehicle laws are pretty similar to the US vehicle standards.

I had an interesting observation last month when I spent a week in Montreal. Canada apparently has strong (and enforced) beater laws about your vehicle. I didn't see a single run-down car the entire time I was there. I was even in an ethnic part of the suburbs (Dorval, which is EXACTLY like Bensonville, IL Bob), and there were no crappy run down cars at all.

Also they must have a strongly enforced noise law about motorcycles, because we were sitting in the car with the windows down, right next to a crotch-rocket, and I could barely hear it idle. Even when he accelerated quickly, it was hardly louder than a car.