• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Timeline of Obama Response to Gulf Oil Disaster

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzllR24e-FY&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Obama's Gulf Oil Spill[/ame]

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
The dates on that video don't matter - what it shows is accurate.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Must be a bitch with all that on your mind in the middle of your backswing ..................... FORE!

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
The man is not an engineer. What did you expect him to "DO" ???

It's not his job.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter

It's not his job.
I had been involved with disaster preparedness and disaster recovery for many years while in Facilities Management, and have contributed facilities-specific plans to a few prevention and recovery manuals during that time. People are assigned specific areas of responsibility during a disaster, including clearly defined tasks for each person on each team. That being said, I have to agree that Obama is NOT an engineer, knows nothing about oil other than the fact that they send money to his campaigns, and therefore nothing should be expected of him in that regard. But as the leader of free world, one might expect a small amount of leadership from him and his team in the face of a crisis. A little face time on the tube on a regular basis would give the illusion of caring what is going on. Having his staff assemble a team of industry experts to work in conjunction with the Army Corps of Engineers to reduce, prevent and mitigate the damage caused by the spill, and to have his press secretary release regular reports (2x per week?) as to the progress being made would also make him look like a leader. Perhaps doing these things would not change things from what they are today, but at least he would APPEAR to care about the problem. By doing virtually nothing, he certainly gave the American people, and the world, a different impression of who Barrack Obama really is and what he really cares about. This spill will affect millions of people along the gulf coast, and Barrack is sending you a message about just how much he cares for you. There really is no substance in this empty suit called President Obama.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

It's not his job.

I totally agree with this, no way to blame him for this. Only BP, Exxon, etc have the ability, equipment and resources to deal with something like this.

But as much as I am willing to say that, I am critical of the clean up assistance side of this situation. I keep hearing LA Governor Bobby Jindahl on the radio/TV news and he keeps complaining about the roadblocks that his state is facing in the clean up effort where he is forbidding by federal authorities to do things. The fact that Gov Jindahl continues to have problems with permission is going to turn out to be, in retrospect, one of the bigger issues of this event.

My other gripe about this is the fact that this rig didn't have to be in 5000 feet of water in the first place. We clearly are pushing our technological boundaries. There is oil accessible in 1000 feet of water but the rigs are forbidden from drilling there because of politics. We need the oil, and I am not saying that we should have derricks and rigs dotting the landscape, but it is simple politics that is pushing these rigs into such remote areas. This very probably could have been plugged and capped in 1 week if it was in shallower water.

Again, not blaming this president for that either, this problem has been in existence for 20+ years!

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter

It's not his job.

He has said it is his job.

While I agree that he has a country to run and there is more to that than one problem. I also agree that the federal govt. is totally inept at stopping oil leaks. There is a saying that was on the door in the Ambulance building where I volunteered. "Do something! Lead, lead, follow or get out of the way."

I have read on this site that 17 nations have offered expertise and been turned away. Why is every possible alternative being examined to get the best solution possible? He could easily station his vice president in Louisianna to oversee and report until the crisis is resolved. Biden certainly has the ability to talk. LOL

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have read on this site that 17 nations have offered expertise and been turned away. Why is every possible alternative being examined to get the best solution possible?

I was wondering myself if other countries we asked if they had solutions. Based on what you say it seems it was offered but turned away. That is poor planning on every body's part.

I also heard yesterday on the radio that they will never be able to stop the leak entirely and there will always be oil spilling out. Their goal is to stop as much as possible. We will be dealing with this a lot longer than one thinks.