• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Time to invest contest

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
So you think your pretty Good at picking the winners ???:unsure: The market has lost Billions lately and that also means that some one has made billions . Think your good enough to beat the odds :brows:???

Here's 10 Grand .... Go buy up to 4 stocks right now and post the stock symbol , number of shares and price you paid today .
I'll go first
Pepsi (PEP) 25 shares @ 52.04 ===============$1301.
Bank Of America (BAC) 300 shares @ 7.39=========$2217.
Deutsch Bank (DKT) 100 shares @ 17.21==========$1721.
Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) 81 shares @ 58.56======= $4743
-------
Total $9982.
I'll check this once a month, do the math and lets see who knows the market best . We sell in 6 months . Winner gets to have braggin rights .

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I got out of what little I had in Feb. 08.
Except for WWE I won't part with that.:yum:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
We only need 3 or 4 investors to make this fun . I'm sure ole Sushi is up for it ,though I do not want any stock he thinks is good !!!!:yum::yum::yum::yum:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
OK Al, I'll play along. I haven't done this for a while so I'm a little rusty and I'm not going to spend a lot of time on research but here is what I think is going to do fairly well in the next 6 months.

Goldcorp - GG - 100 shares at $27.97 = $2797

Teva - TEVA - 50 shares at $41.91 = $2095

US Bancorp - USB - 200 shares at $15.29 = $ 3058

Monsanto - MON - 26 shares at $78.56 = $2042

Total Investment = $9992

I like your Johnson & Johnson but didn't want to duplicate. I also like John Deere (stock not tractors) and ExxonMobil but if we're limited to four I'll go with the four above.

Where's Bob Skurka when you need him???

PS. ... I'll also be drinking all the Coke products I can over the next 6 months. :)

daedong

I would not expect much movement in six months more like 12 to 18 months!

Exxon XOM 65 shares @$77.14 = $5014

Ishares comex Gold IAU 57 shares @$87.37= $4980

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
I'll play

DeVry .....DV 36 @ 55.30 = 1990.80
Man Tech ....MANT 30 @ 55.83 = 1674.90
Mc Donalds...MCD 40 @ 59.20 = 2308.80
Abbott.....ABT 36 @ 54.96 = 1978.56
American Physicians Grp...AMPH 92 @ 21.60 = 1987.20

Total = 9999.46

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I would not expect much movement in six months more like 12 to 18 months!

Exxon XOM 65 shares @$77.14 = $5014

Ishares comex Gold IAU 57 shares @$87.37= $4980

I would have picked the same so my official choice is as follows:

Local Credit Union CD - 2.569%

I know I will have $1012.845 in six months. Which at the current inflation rate should buy me a tank of gas.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl have you ever played fast poker? That is the game here when based on 6 months and trying to pick stock(s) that will make you the most in such a short time. For several reasons I am going to put my money all in one basket. Here is my pic for winner take all in 6 months:

LVLT - 8,928 shares at $1.12 = $9999.36

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Emergent BioSolutions Inc. EBS 20.91
American Italian Pasta Company AIPC 23.95
New Concept Energy GBR 3.73

OK, my picks:

Tick Per share Shares Amount
ebs 20.91 100 2091
aipc 23.95 100 2395
gbr 3.73 1478 5512.94

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Where's Bob Skurka when you need him???
I'm pretty much out of the traditional stock market now, having taken some gains and some losses.

I recently purchased the gold spider at $80.60. Sold it at $88.35. Repurchased it at $87.05 yesterday.

If I am going to play this game, and I do like it, I would buy:

TOTAL BELOW = $9992.07

MO 10 @ $17 = $170
EPD 10 @ $22.13 = $221.30
RCS 13 @ $8.64 = $112.32
GLD 109 @ $87.05 = $9488.45

Clearly I am "overweight" right now on GOLD. Clearly I am underweight on typical stocks. I think stocks are pretty risky right now. So for a traditional long view I am out. The first 3 stocks I have in the above portfolio are all DIVIDEND players, each has been spinning off dividend yields that are providing a steady income stream and/or reinvest to auto repurchase more shares of the above stocks.

Now if you want to get into PLAYING THE MARKET, with money that is set aside for GAMBLING on big returns versus big risks then that is a totally different type of investment.

I could be very wrong with my allocation!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I'll play

DeVry .....DV 36 @ 55.30 = 1990.80
Man Tech ....MANT 30 @ 55.83 = 1674.90
Mc Donalds...MCD 40 @ 59.20 = 2308.80
Abbott.....ABT 36 @ 54.96 = 1978.56
American Physicians Grp...AMPH 92 @ 21.60 = 1987.20

Total = 9999.46

That is a really good one , In real life I made a few dollars on that one . McDonalds is a interesting pick too .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
The first 3 stocks I have in the above portfolio are all DIVIDEND players, each has been spinning off dividend yields that are providing a steady income stream and/or reinvest to auto repurchase more shares of the above stocks.

Nothing wrong with going after good solid dividends . My personal folder is full of them . With the market jumping all over the place , I like the fact that I have some solid proven dividend payers/players to add to my retiremnet kitty .
If anyone get a declared stock dividend and I miss it , let me know so I can add it in to your bottom line

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't understand a damn thing about the stock market so count me out! LOL

Come on PG . I got hooked on the stock market after I had this as a assigned project in A econmics class . I pretty much closed my eyes and made a pick back then . Funny thing is that stock went up about 100% in nine months and I got an A out of the class . Been playin for real ever since BUT, now I don't close my eyes anymore . If you do a little research and take a hard look at the growth and loss charts that each company has its not that hard to make some money in the stock market .
There is basically 3 types of investment in stocks . Low Risk , Medium Risk , And High Risk .
For Example , In real life I am pretty much a low risk player now because I am retired and I am more interested in a steady retirement income stream than taking a bigger chance and going High Risk where I may get the big bucks or could lose it all .

Here ..... I just loaned you 10 Grand . Now go try your luck .:biggrin:You must have some favorite company whose products you think no one can do without .... Like makeup or hairspray or lipstick :clap:

Gatorboy

BigAl have you ever played fast poker? That is the game here when based on 6 months and trying to pick stock(s) that will make you the most in such a short time. For several reasons I am going to put my money all in one basket. Here is my pic for winner take all in 6 months:

LVLT - 8,928 shares at $1.12 = $9999.36

That's about how many actual shares of LVLT I currently own. Sorry, that POS ain't gonna fly. (but I hope I'm wrong)

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
That's about how many actual shares of LVLT I currently own. Sorry, that POS ain't gonna fly. (but I hope I'm wrong)

Yea, but at a $1.12 it only has to go up a few cents to make a large percentage profit. On the other hand, it only has to fall a few cents to disappear all together. :hammer:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter

So you do gamble. You must of bought it on the high end. I have friends who were millionaires on paper one day and a few months later they were 50K aires.....:ermm:

My pick was based on the ability of the federal government funding some expansion of broadband spending which is in the stimulus package, the real possibility of LVLT being at $1.30 in six months and some insight that it may just survive better than many of its competitors. At $1.30 in 6 months that will give me a 16% return and that should win this competition. On the other hand I maybe broke if LVLT does not perform as I hope/anticipate while owing BigAl 10K in paper....:whistling:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Wal-mart Share Price $48.01 so thats 208 shares....all my eggs in one basket.

Total $9986.08

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I would have picked the same so my official choice is as follows:

Local Credit Union CD - 2.569%

I know I will have $1012.845 in six months. Which at the current inflation rate should buy me a tank of gas.

Actually , I believe you will have a net gain of $128.45

D

darroll

I'm buying 300 shares of Verizon (VZ). Three blocks at $30.23 =$9069.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Allen, I will sell at the end of todays last price of $1.18 and pay you back your loan and pocket my profit of $535.68. Is that ok with you......:yum:

Close LVLT - 8,928 shares at $1.18 = $10535.04
Opening LVLT - 8,928 shares at $1.12 = $9999.36

Todays Profit is + $535.68

Just kidding you Allen, I will stick with it and be happy with a great day and hope they continue........

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
TXT 400 @ 9.09 = 3636
AAI 400 @ 4.49 = 1796
CB 30 @ 42.82 = 1285
SKF 24 @136.74 = 3282

$9,999

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
OUCH !!!
I got hosed today :sad:. Good thing I got 6 months to pull a rabbit out of my butt !!!:yum:

Ok Now I am even more pissed than I was in my other thread !!!:furious::censored::angry3:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Allen, I will sell at the end of todays last price of $1.18 and pay you back your loan and pocket my profit of $535.68. Is that ok with you......:yum:

Close LVLT - 8,928 shares at $1.18 = $10535.04
Opening LVLT - 8,928 shares at $1.12 = $9999.36

Todays Profit is + $535.68

Just kidding you Allen, I will stick with it and be happy with a great day and hope they continue........

Sorry Bill,

I missed your "Sell Order" And it got in too late . Heres where its at now in after hours trading .$1.13 . I still will need to charge you a commission charge for selling . sorry ...:w00t2::w00t2::yum::flowers: You owe me $50 Bucks . I don't work cheap !!!:yum::yum:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Al, who's going to keep track of all this for the next 6 months? We got quite a few players now.

ETF, you must be volunteering? :clap:

I would think either a weekly or monthly update is plenty. We should all be able to post our results to date to see how we are doing possibly at the end of each week.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
ETF, you must be volunteering? :clap:

I would think either a weekly or monthly update is plenty. We should all be able to post our results to date to see how we are doing possibly at the end of each week.

Well ... we will get it done ....one way or the other .:smile:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
TOTAL BELOW = $9992.07

MO 10 @ $17 = $170
EPD 10 @ $22.13 = $221.30
RCS 13 @ $8.64 = $112.32
GLD 109 @ $87.05 = $9488.45

Based on YESTERDAY's closing numbers here is where I stand
MO -$1.60