• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Explorer, Safari, Firefox, Netscape?!?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was a big fan of the Safari web browser when it came out, it simply blew away Explorer & Netscape for speed, but it was modestly compatible with secure websites. I became an early adopter of Firefox and due to all sorts of security issues with Explorer, mandated that all our company computers abandon Explorer in favor of Firefox.

Firefox now has a new version. Firefox 1.5 It improves the functionality of the older version (1.0.6) that I was using. And it is still free. Below is an article from today's newspaper.

December 8, 2005

BY ANDY IHNATKO

Folks, Microsoft Internet Explorer kind of blows.

No, I'm being too kind: Launching Microsoft Internet Explorer is like opening your one and only present on Christmas morning as a kid and finding a pair of sensible brown slacks inside.

While every other browser has made huge advances over the years, responding to new technologies, broader expectations and more serious security threats, Explorer has remained a ghoulish monument to the state of technology during the Clinton administration.

I'm not absolutely certain we can even technically call it a Web browser any more. Yet this is indeed the best that Microsoft is willing do to for us until IE 7 is released -- which might not happen until Windows Vista comes out in the fall.

By then it might be too little, too late. Firefox, a free, open-source browser available in editions that run on every OS known to God and man, made Explorer almost completely irrelevant the day it was released. Firefox 1.5, released just a few days ago, upgrades the browser from terrific to awesome and as a result, the wedgie that it administers to Internet Explorer has been upgraded from atomic to super-atomic.

Without question, Firefox should be your Web browser. Firefox is safer and more secure, for a start. A Web browser is one of the many doors and windows that viruses and other malicious software exploit to gain access to your PC, which is why security is an intimate part of Firefox's underlying architecture.

The world should switch to Firefox for its security features, but you'll want to switch for all of its creature-comforts. Tabbed browsing reduces desktop clutter by allowing you to open multiple Web pages inside a single browser window. That feature is ubiquitous in modern browsers and missing from Explorer.

Firefox also has a fully integrated search feature baked right into every window. Select a search engine from the popup list, and you get results without having to type Google.com. The most popular search sites are included in 1.5, but it's an extendible system. Hundreds of other resources are available as free downloads.

Actually, the bacon in the Firefox BLT is its fundamental extendibility. Firefox was designed with a true sense of manifest destiny; anybody in the world can write and release a plugin that adds new features to Firefox. Firefox plugins litter the Earth like fast-food wrappers, ranging from the very sensible ones that super- aggressively quash popups and ads, to the sort of stuff that makes you wonder if developers shouldn't be required to have some sort of Breathalyzer hooked up to their keyboards at all times.

To top it off, Firefox is fast, fast, fast. And 1.5 delivers a bump in speed that you'll notice immediately. Pages practically teleport in.

Firefox 1.5 contains loads of little tweaks and a handful of major new features. Clearing all of your personal information from the browser (including cookies and a history of the sites you've visited) is now an integrated, one-click process. There's a new mechanism that streamlines the process of discovering and installing Firefox updates, which is a big deal because keeping your browser up to date means keeping your PC secure. Firefox's error-reporting system has been greatly improved, and is a model for all Internet apps everywhere.

The only disappointing new feature is 1.5's "Live Bookmarks," which brings rich site summaries into Firefox. The upshot is that if a site has an (invisible) RSS feed, Firefox can easily summarize its content inside a menu or window and steer you toward new articles. Firefox is apparently content to leave heavy-duty (read: the coolest and most useful) RSS features in the hands of plugin developers, which is a bit of a letdown.

Firefox 1.5 is an easy upgrade, both technically and conceptually.

Explorer users need it desperately. Just go to www.mozilla. com/firefox/ and do it. You have nothing to lose but your chains. Even Mac users will find Firefox 1.5 a big improvement over Apple's slower and somewhat less-stable Safari browser.

In either case, switching is made almost completely painless. Firefox can now import all of your existing bookmarks, cookies, history files and saved passwords with one click.

Switching to 1.5 is actually more of a hassle for users of Firefox 1.0: Many popular plugins must be updated to work with the new edition. Check with their developers before upgrading, if your Firefox plugins are mission-critical.

So many technology decisions are choked with subtle and complex questions. "What are my specific needs and expectations?"

"How well does this work with my existing hardware and software?"

"Am I prepared to handle all the action I'll get once the chicks discover that my wristwatch is also an MP3 player?"

But this choice is simple: Firefox 1.5 is better than whatever browser you're using already, and it's free. That's it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,

I'm thinking of giving it a try.

A couple questions if I may...

If I don't want/like it, is it easy to go back?
Can I have sessions open under both browsers?
Do you know if Webroot Spy Sweeper and normal protection utilities are all OK with it (and do I need to do/change anything to make them work with it?

Thanks
Brian

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Bob,

I'm thinking of giving it a try.

A couple questions if I may...

If I don't want/like it, is it easy to go back?
Yes, but you won't

Can I have sessions open under both browsers?
Yes, but you won't need to because Firefox employs tabs

Do you know if Webroot Spy Sweeper and normal protection utilities are all OK with it (and do I need to do/change anything to make them work with it?

Thanks
Brian

That's what I know!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I also want/need to know if there's any issues with:

VPN
Citrix
VNC
Novell
Nortel
And all the other remote access connectivity/security packages.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:

VPN
Citrix
VNC
Novell
Nortel

HUH Wha'..............:rofl1:...............

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
I just upgraded my older version (1.0.6)of firefox to the new one...(1.5)....WOW ...it's like I just put a nitrous kit on the computer.........FAST FAST FAST !!!!!!!!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:

VPN
Citrix
VNC
Novell
Nortel

You can have both installed. As for the above, if they require a browser plugin (Citrix)then you are at the mercy of the vendor.

In general Firefox should work fine with most VPN apps and anything that is TCP/IP standards based.

Firefox has good support and works very well. However, IE still owns the marketplace.

As someone who develops websites for a living, I have to have lots of browsers installed. I use IE a lot but rely on Firefox for a lot of my development work as it is much more geeky.

My favorite IE derivative is Maxthon: http://www.maxthon.com/
It provides a tabbed interface and since it uses the IE browser engine it is 100% IE comptabile.

The current IE is pretty old now. There is a new release in the works that will probably eclipse the competition for a while. MS is being pretty hush hush about it so they either have something really cool or it's just not that exciting. It's not due for a while yet.

In general loading FireFox and giving it a try isn't going to hurt anything. However, if IE ain't broke for you then maybe you don't need to fix it.

Hope this helps,

PB

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
In general loading FireFox and giving it a try isn't going to hurt anything. However, if IE ain't broke for you then maybe you don't need to fix it.

Hope this helps,

PB
Thanks PB, Yes, it helps a lot.

That's my quandry. Not having any real problems with IE but the geek in me says to give it a shot.
I think I'll fire up one of my secondary PCs and put it on there first.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Thanks PB, Yes, it helps a lot.

That's my quandry. Not having any real problems with IE but the geek in me says to give it a shot.
I think I'll fire up one of my secondary PCs and put it on there first.

Brian Firefox is like a small coyote. Your father already is a member of 'the pack.' This could be your of joining the canine crowd.:tiphat:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
However, if IE ain't broke for you then maybe you don't need to fix it.

BWAAAA HAHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!

:yum::yum::yum::yum:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

(Oh, I use Firefox & Thunderbird in case you didn't get the irony. :wave:)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That hurt Dave, that really hurt...

I'm a computer guy myself (although mainframe). Sorry for my reluctance but my main PC I'm at is what I use (via the internet) for my livelyhood. Without the internet connection, I have to travel (Boooo). For security reasons (I'm in healthcare), secure connections and such are required (VPN, VNC, Citrix...). I don't want to risk anything that gives me the remote access I have. Every morning, after I connect, I mentally do a "phew & yea" that the connection worked for yet another day.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the reminder Bob. I downloaded Firefox 1.5 a week ago, but got busy and never tried it out. This thread got me to try it, partially to see how FF looks on that browser. I am very pleased with it. It looks good, tools and button placement (ie setting your proxy) are in the same spot where IE had them. Makes it easy to convert. I imported my bookmarks (aka favorites) with no problems. A very easy upgrade, and with the IE virus out and about, what a great time to make the switch. :)

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Brian Firefox is like a small coyote. Your father already is a member of 'the pack.' This could be your of joining the canine crowd.:tiphat:

Hummmmm, I smell payback! Find your Sno-Trac pics Bob..............:D

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Doc,
Is a reboot required? (that may decide when I do it).

No reboot required. They recommend you close all windows, but I didn't do that and had no problems. I had Access DB, Lotus Notes, Excell, Adobe, and a few explorer windows open along with 15 or 20 IE windows. No problem at all. I think you'll like it BC.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey, you guys test out the new Firefox and let me know how it works. I tried it about a year ago and really liked it. However, several of the business sites I have to use would not work with Firefox, so I had to constantly switch back and forth. I ended up just dumping Firefox only for that reason. Any idea if they have fixed the compatability issues with many sites? With the business sites I used, I'd say that Firefox wouldn't work with over half of them.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My understanding is the ones that didn't work with Firefox, are not coded with the current HTML 2.0 standards. But mainly those just did not display properly. IE allows or coded around sloppy code. This makes it appear the other browser doesn't work right, but in fact it is working right and IE does not. But ....I know exactly what you mean Dargo, I kept using IE for the same reason. I tried Opera and liked it but some sites I needed just did not display correctly and i could not navagte them. I'll still have IE close by, but I'll try FireFox for awhile ....or until something doesn't work. The IE virus also help push me away from IE.

I have both Firefox and IE running now. No problems so far. And all sites I've visited display just fine.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Geek stuff aside.

It's all about market share. Those that own the market get to set the standards.

Right now MS owns the market share.

I've got Windows, OSX, UNIX, and Linux systems but at the end of the day if I want to make something that "most" consumers can use then I am going to code for IE and MS Windows. But then again, I'm a whore and I work for money not fame.

;P

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I installed it.
It does appear to be 20-25% faster than IE.
My bookmarks are different but I just need to reorganize.
Install was easy and nothing had to be closed or anything.

Thanks
Brian

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Well, I installed it.
It does appear to be 20-25% faster than IE.

Now imagine how helpful that would be for anyone who was using dial up on a POTS line. 20% to 25% improvement would be a monumental increase in speed. Not bad for a free download that is substantionally more secure too.

OregonAlex

B_Skurka said:
Not bad for a free download that is substantionally more secure too.

oh course you realize that the security issue has must less to do with actual "security" improvements found in firefox and more with the fact that the relative smaller market share of the firefox browser makes for a less interesting hacker's target.

Another reason I use a Mac.. When faced with the potential of writing a virus and hacking something that will affect the most amount of people in the world and give you the biggest ego woody.. which platform would you choose to spend your time trying to violate. A PC running Windows with IE which accounts for 95% of the market or a Mac running Safari which maybe accounts for 1%?? How many people do you know of that have a Virus checker on their Mac running OS X?

Anything you can do on your PC to make yourself an ODD ball will help you from a security point of view. Dont use IE, Outlook, MS Office. Basically, removing anything with the word Microsoft in its title from your normal environment.

OregonAlex

PBinWA said:
Geek stuff aside.

It's all about market share. Those that own the market get to set the standards.

Right now MS owns the market share.

;P
This is mostly true but times are a changing. Look at where Microsoft's heavy push towards .Net, MSN, and WebTV got them. Wish I had that type of deep pockets to continue to push stuff down peoples throats year after year while taking a loss.

My brother in-law thinks I am lying to him about all the money Microsoft has lost, year after year, on the MSN business unit the first generation X-Box to try to take the Game Console market from Sony. Many people find this completely unbelievable. "Microsoft is a Business, Business don't intentionally lose money on each unit sold.. that is crazy... what are you smoking Alex?"

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Your right Alex. They do it to buy that corner of the market. They have the deep pockets and make plenty on the software side of the business. The competition does not have the deep pockets and to compete they have to price their game boxes lower than they planned. MS can outlast them and buy the market this way.

I'm really liking FireFox. I love the tabbed browsing windows. It's all pretty cool. So far it's worked alright on evey web page I've visited. Though I'm not seeing a speed increase, I'm just glad to get out of the MS clutches when I can. :)

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
OK guys. I might try FireFox this weekend. Is there anything possible that I could screwup doing this? You may as well tell me about the mating habits of the rare Nude Tibetan Yak, I'd probably understand that quicker than electronic bad juju. Come on, somebody stroke my ego a little.:smileywac :boobies: :beer: :drink:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
John,
open a google window and do a search for: firefox download
One of the sites that come up will be the mozilla site. That's where I'd download it from to be sure you get the latest greatest. You'll have a choice of an exe download or a gzip. Take the exe one. Save it to your disk. Then just double click it. Take the defaults and you'll be fine. It's pretty goof proof.

OregonAlex

Doc said:
I'm really liking FireFox. I love the tabbed browsing windows. It's all pretty cool. So far it's worked alright on evey web page I've visited. Though I'm not seeing a speed increase, I'm just glad to get out of the MS clutches when I can. :)
I mostly use Mozilla on my company issued craptop.. Mozilla pretty much the same thing as Firebox (based on the original Netscape browser source code) but a few versions behind and a bit more bloated in Firefox. I have found the Mozilla and or Firefox will pretty much work on most web sites without problems. The only issue I have something is accessing my companies internal web sites which require some Active-X controls which have only been tested using IE. So I keep IE around For most people, I think that between Mozilla, Netscape, and Firefox there present a signicant enough portion of the web browser market that most public sites on the internet make sure the test their sites with the Netscape---ish based browsers.

oh.. On the Mac.. I use Safari and every once in a while when I come across a site which is not acting right.. I launch IE for the Mac and when I am dont with the "problematic web site" then I quit IE. I am sure most people will tell you a similiar story.

I guess I think of all the Microsoft products like a condom with a hole in it.
Only use it when you have no other options and when you don't need it anymore use something else. This help reduce the chances of catching something while surfing the internet.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Does anyone else find it curious that Firefox default setup has a link in place for "Free Hotmail" and a "Windows" link which goes to MS?

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, I pinned the old doodads on and tried FireFox. So far, so good. Still waiting for the hammer to fall though. Anytime I try something fancy on this electronic thing, I usually wind up screwing something up!:eek::smileywac:toilet::fart2:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc said:
Does anyone else find it curious that Firefox default setup has a link in place for "Free Hotmail" and a "Windows" link which goes to MS?

Hmmm....I have been using Firefox for quite a while, and I have never seen a default bookmark like those. I am still on version 1.07 though, so they might have added new defaults for 1.5

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
Hmmm....I have been using Firefox for quite a while, and I have never seen a default bookmark like those. I am still on version 1.07 though, so they might have added new defaults for 1.5

It was probably transfered over when they installed FF! The question is asked during the install if you want to transfer bookmarks.