• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Those Sneaky Marines

working woman

Site Supporter
Look Close...

Attachments

• mar.jpg
    mar.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 390
  • mar1.jpg
    mar1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 390
  • mar2.jpg
    mar2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 394
  • mar3.jpg
    mar3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 393

mak2

A flyover with a stealth bomber with thousands of Playboys, Hustlers, and Britany pictures. That will fix them. Mass Al Quida suicides

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Careful! Pretty soon some female marines will be painting naked men on the sides of those things! :eek:

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Maybe we should be launching some huge naked lady weather ballons and let them float over the country.. I think the Britany pictures would just make them sick! :)

Sneaky Marine

That Sneaky Marine is me! I painted those pictures in the camouflaged (with a few others that liked what I was doing) during the first gulf war in Saudi Arabia. Why? I was bored. Those pics were taken at the Port of Al-Jubayal. Although I do not think you can see it in the pictures, there is one helicopter that has a silhouette of me holding up fingers in the peace sign. The top photo was the first helicopter I painted. I started on the head and breast, everybody else joined in. I painted the middle finger on the bottom of a helicopter. Others have Elvis, and a rooster (crew-chief's nick name was Rooster).

I have the pictures and my journal in storage to prove it!

I tried to log in to this web site and post this but I had some difficulty. Please post my comment. And feel free to contact me.

Craig Bruce

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sneaky Marine said:
I tried to log in to this web site and post this but I had some difficulty. Please post my comment. And feel free to contact me.

Craig Bruce
Craig, you seem to be logged in properly now! If you have trouble posting any photos, you can email them to one of the moderators and we can resize them and post them for you.

Images generally must be resized to fit the Forums. File sizes should be under 200kb. Image sizes should be 800x800pixels or smaller.

Larger images, up to 2MB can be uploaded into the "Photo Gallery" section of the Forums.

BTW, WELCOME to the Forums :wave: I love your "artwork." We're glad to have you here with us, you'll find lots of supports of our soldiers here on the F-F website.

Moderators who can help you with the photos are:
bczoom
Big Dog
BoneheadNW
B_Skurka
DaveNay
PBinWA

Sneaky Marine

I first found out these were on the web when a friend of mine sent them to me as an e-mail forward that had been going around. I got a second e-mail recently and decided to google it, sure enough, they are all over the web.

I plan to write the entire story on my web site www.bleedingonion.com in the near future since it has generated so much discussion.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sneaky Marine said:
I plan to write the entire story on my web site www.bleedingonion.com in the near future since it has generated so much discussion.
We'd be happy to give you some publicity :tiphat: If you also want to post a copy of it here, we can link back to your site so it is seen by more people.

Sneaky Marine

Very cool! I would be honored to have the link and I will post the complete story here. I would gratefully appreciate the publicity. When I did back in (I think) November or December of 1990, I never thought the pictures would be going around the net today. Although those pictures were not taken by me, but Possibly by Louis Lofton, a crew chief in my unit (HMH-466).

Thank you for the kindness!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome Sneaky. Awesome job. :thumb:
We have a celebrity in our midst. Cool. :beer:

Like Bob said, we'd be happy to help publicize your site in any way we can.

Sneaky Marine

B_Skurka said:
We'd be happy to give you some publicity :tiphat: If you also want to post a copy of it here, we can link back to your site so it is seen by more people.

Hi, I have the story written and it is on my site www.bleedingonion.com Please let me know if the length of the story is ok, it may be a little long for this blog.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sneaky Marine said:
Hi, I have the story written and it is on my site www.bleedingonion.com Please let me know if the length of the story is ok, it may be a little long for this blog.

Hey Sneaky, I think it would fit just fine in one post. However, if it was to long we just break it into two posts. But I'm sure I've seen longer articles on here where someone will quote an article for the debate forum.

If you have trouble or need help just give me a shout.

Sneaky Marine

Sneaky Marine
23 March, 2003

Have you seen the e-mails or web sites that are discussing “Those Sneaky Marines” and the camouflaged paintings they did? I have, which is why I am writing this next piece.

I am that Sneaky Marine! But I did have help.

Today, I was reading on the blogs about what people thought regarding those camouflaged paintings of nude women on helicopters, and for the most part it is all positive. A few people had inquiries about whether it was done for morale, bad morels, to force Islam’s to commit suicide for seeing a naked body, or that the paintings were photo-shopped. And heck, one person even said (tongue in cheek) that it was the new opening credits for the next James Bond movie (that cracked me up!).

And to that one person out there that said the painter (me) “has never seen real boobs before”, I have and I am not going into detail about it. My Mom visits this site and will give me the wooden spoon to my backside if I don’t keep it clean.

I will start this from the beginning. Forgive me if I skip a detail as I am writing this from memory (my journal and additional pictures from that time are stuffed away in storage).

From 1986 – 1992, I was an active duty United States Marine, my highest rank achieved was Corporal. I was attached to HMH-466, a Marine CH53-E helicopter squadron located (at the time) in Tustin, CA. Ever drive along the 5 freeway between Santa Ana and Irvine? If so, you may have seen the large white and green hangers. Those were originally ‘Lighter Than Air’ (think blimp) hangers, which later became Marine Corps Air Station, Tustin. These days they seem to be primarily used as stages in some movies and television commercials.

My job: Aviation Ordnance (think explosives and such). My basic job is to maintain the helicopter’s electrically primed ordnance and machine guns that are normally kept at the base armory. In times of war, I am the door gunner. The .50 caliber machine guns are mounted to the helicopter and I stand behind them and fire at the enemy as we fly by.

My very good friend Dean B. stills calls me the “Get some! Get some! Guy” (he got that from the movie ‘Full Metal Jacket’). Some people think being a door gunner is cool and it was. But, we are the first to get shot at, after which, they aim for the pilots. At one point, during the Persian Gulf War also known as Desert Storm, Saddam Hussein had a $5,000.00 bounty on our heads. $5,000.00 was a lot of money in that region at that time.

August 2nd, 1990, Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait. Kuwait is a small Middle-Eastern country that sits southeast of Iraq’s border and northeast of Saudi Arabia’s border along the Persian Gulf. Kuwait is a small country very rich in oil.

August 22nd, 1990, my helicopter squadron HMH-466 had just finished taking apart our helicopters for transport in a C5 cargo plan. Now we are on our way to say “Howdy” to Saddam’s troops.

Fast forward a bit to about December (I think) 1990, we were stationed at the Port of Al-Jubayal, a small naval port for Saudi Arabia. We just received our shipment of tan camouflaged paint and we were ordered to paint our ‘birds’. I, recently having gotten into a little trouble, was on that detail. There were a handful of us to get the job done and at the moment, I cannot remember the names of the rest of the guys. Sorry guys!

By mid-day, I was getting a little bored of the painting and decided to make one of the spots into the figure of a girl, similar to the “Mud-flap” girl. I had gotten part of the head, back and breast done when one of the other guys on my squadron’s paint detail approached and noticed what I was doing. I personally was not planning on leaving it, I was just amusing myself. But my co-painter thought it was funny and joined in. He helped with the hair, since I was having a problem with it and he tackled rear-end.

Soon enough, everyone else on the detail joined in and we worked through the night using large lights on a generator. I figured if the enemy saw the pictures, maybe they would pause for a moment and double check, giving me enough time to pop off some rounds.

We all thought that no one would really be able to see the paintings from a distance. But we ran into a bit of a snag. One of the Gunny’s saw it and brought over the XO (Executive Officer, 2nd in command under the CO – Commanding Officer). The XO, to put it nicely, was a jerk and did not like what we were doing.

Eventually, the CO got involved (I think one of the Crew Chiefs ran off to get him) and after viewing what were doing and seeing how excited we were, he decided to allow us to continue. The paintings stayed on the birds until we got back stateside. Bummer. So, I guess you could say that those paintings were done for morale. And it is one of my best memories of the Gulf War.

The paintings continued. Someone liked Elvis, so we painted his head. One of the Crew Chiefs nickname was ‘Rooster’, so we painted a rooster’s head on the front of the bird. I painted a hand sticking out the middle finger (something the CO did not know about or would have approved) on the bottom of one of the birds. And the guys painted a silhouette of me holding up my hand doing the peace sign.

Now, there is one thing I would like to call out, and that is the middle finger painting: 1. Kids, don’t do middle finger paintings. And 2. This was in no way an offensive gesture aimed at any religion. We saw Saddam’s army simply as the enemy, not a religious group! They had done some horrific things to the Kuwaitis and we were not happy about that.

I will admit though, while on parameter guard duty (our base had the second largest ammo dump in theater, so we were a target), I would take out my ham from my MRE (Meals Ready to Eat) and rub my weapons and ammo with it while yelling out in Arabic to the desert beyond what I was doing. Why would I do that? In their culture, having pork in your system will exempt you from entering heaven. I know, I know, not cool. But hey, I figured if they knew I would fire ham at them then they would avoid instigating a fire fight. Suffice it to say, I didn’t get shot. Did my ploy work? You be the judge.

Fast forward to today, almost; last year my friend Tammy M. sent me an e-mail with the subject line “Those Sneaky Marines” and attached were pictures of my (and my crew’s) painting work. I was shocked and surprised! One of the guys in my old unit must have sent these to someone, who (may have) in turn wrote up a commentary and then mass e-mailed them to their contacts.

Then a few weeks ago, my friend Penny S. sent the same e-mail to me. Huh, I got it again! So, today, out of the blue, I Googled “Those Sneaky Marines” and I discovered those pictures are all over the internet, with commentaries and blogs about them. Holy Cannoli!

I started blogging back until I realized, “Dude, you have your own web-site!” And here we are.

How did those pictures get on the net? Not sure. I was on a military themed web-site today, and they indicated that (L.) Lofton had sent in those pictures to one of the staff. Lofton was a Crew Chief in my squadron, more than likely, he took those pictures.

No one is bleeding on my onion. I just thought this was a damn good story to tell. How often do you get a chance to find out the origin of something like this?

Back in 1990, I never dreamed photos of our paintings would be shown all across the country! And that people would have discussions about them, sometimes heated ones about “Macho geared propaganda” and “Male species crap”. I guess the past really does catch up with you.

I would like to give great thanks to the kind people over at ‘ForumsForums.com’ for their support and offer of having me post this story on their site as well.

Another thank you to Gary M. of Gawfer2001.blogspot.com for offering to write this story and for his support. Although Gary did not write this piece, we together, may re-visit this story and bring more of it out after I get my stuff out of storage.

And I thank you, the reader for enduring this longer than usual article. If you enjoyed it, please have your friends and family come read it, or simply send out an e-mail to your contacts.

As for me, I am still out there in the blogs, telling people this story.

-Craig

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good post Craig. (rep points on the way ...)

Feel free to link back to this article from any of your blogs. :thumb:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Sneaky Marine,

Thanks for the story behind the pics we've all seen (and admired).

Semper Fi!
Brian
'82-'86 - HMLA-269 (next door to HMH-464)

Sneaky Marine

Just thought I would let you fine people know that I have created a blog for these photos and three more of the aircraft that I have. Also added 12 additional photos from my time during Desert Shield / Storm at: thosesneakymarines.spaces.live.com
I also tweaked the stroy with updated information from my journal. In my recent travels across the internet, I have come across a number of American Muslims that are offended by the tagged message on the work I originated. Due to the fact that terrorists are a small and radical faction of the Muslim religion, I am hoping to correct what is being sent out as innocent people are being persecuted for the actions of others. Semper Fi!