• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What's your favorite military vehicle?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Aircraft were discussed awhile back in this thread.

What's your favorite military vehicle (land, sea, air... it doesn't matter)?

Ironman

I'm still a huge fan of the B1 bomber. I like the A-10 Warthog too.:flagusa:

Attachments

• a10_thunderbolt.jpg
    a10_thunderbolt.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,146

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I like that big bad tank the U.S. has now !!!:cool2: I do not remember the name ....It goes like 60 MPH !!!I saw it on Discovery Channel the other night being compared to all the tanks through history and it did not get the top rating !!!!:eek: . That think is incredible .

Hutchman

Site Supporter
Al, I think you mean the M1A1 or M1A2 Abrams Main Battle Tank. I don't know much about 'em but my son is a Marine Main Battle Tank Mechanic, along with also serving as a loader and driver in Iraq. It is indeed an awesome machine-Will run close to 70 mph but is governed down to mid 40s because it tends to self-destruct at the high speeds. I have been in the tank but not while it was in operation. Sure would like to have a ride in one. Hutch

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok, well putting your feet or whatever back on the ground, how about the Foden FH70 gun tractor? This one is parked alongside a Willys M38 Jeep to give you some idea of scale.

Attachments

• Gone to bye byes for the winter 003.jpg
    Gone to bye byes for the winter 003.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,086

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
I always liked this one............
showphoto.php

showphoto.php

I'm sure some people here will recognize this plane. I know how it's use affected my generation. I wish there was a way to bring all our kids home that could be as simple as one plane. Unfortunately the world is a much more complicated place now than it was then.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The WARTHOG airplane is awesome, so is the C130 gunship. For ground vehicles, a Ferret is tough to beat.
f.jpg

But you guys are forgetting the obvious, and only absolutely correct answer to the question is the SNOW TRAC ST4.

I'm even disappointed in IceQueen's answer because this particular one in the photo below is owned by a friend of hers!!!
SnowCamoST41.jpg

dzalphakilo

Banned
Looking out of the "nose" on a B-17. When you see the "equipment" gives you a new appreciation of what those guys must of went through. Sort of like visiting an old WW2 submarine.

Attachments

• inside 5.jpg
    inside 5.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 1,049

BoneheadNW

Back when I lived in San Diego, I would occasionally see these coming ashore north of Oceanside.
MYNV09P03_06B.jpg

MYNV11P01_09B.jpg

MYNV10P07_07.1705.jpg

They are awesome.
Bonehead

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Here's one for you, as promised by Zoe, my daughter, to Bob (about two months ago). This is one of her favourite vehicles, it is one of her boyfriend's toys - he rebuilt it.

Attachments

• Picture 095.jpg
    Picture 095.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,010
  • Picture 1263(1).jpg
    Picture 1263(1).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 991

elsmitro

floppy member
Being an ‘Ex’ Marine Corps ‘Airwinger’ this question immediately causes me to think of an aircraft. After giving it some thought I would have to say a fully loaded LHD-2 is my favorite. I spent the better part of a year with the U.S.S. Essex, on her maiden voyage. When they say they are sending an aircraft carrier some place it’s not ‘just’ a carrier that’s going, it’s a whole freakin armada!!! You hardly ever see the other ‘ships’ that are with you but when they come together in formation for a photo op, your chests puffs out, your scrotum drags the ground, and you realize why we are called a ‘SUPER POWER’!
Semper Fi

Attachments

• Essex Amphibious Ready Group2.jpg
    Essex Amphibious Ready Group2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 967
  • essexSMALL.JPG
    essexSMALL.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 970
  • Essex Amphibious Ready Group SMALL.JPG
    Essex Amphibious Ready Group SMALL.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 926

BoneheadNW

elsmitro said:
but when they come together in formation for a photo op, your chests puffs out, your scrotum drags the ground
That's gotta hurt! Oh wait, I forgot, marines like that sort of thing.:pat:
Bonehead

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
elsmitro,

What did you do as a winger? I did avionics and spent most of my time on AH-1 & UH-1 choppers but also spent some time on EA-6B's.

When I was in, the LHD's were still being built. I was on the older LPH class. Spent a little time on the Inchon.

elsmitro

floppy member
bczoom said:
What did you do as a winger?

I was S-3; Aviation Operations was my primary. Aviation / Ground Safety and S-6, Data Communications were my main secondary’s. When I was on the Essex I was with VMA-214, The Black Sheep Squadron. I spent some time as the pseudo OPS Chief of a huey / Cobra squadron, ever here of the Red Dogs? I’m still pissed about all the luv the apache gets…:wave:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yea, the Apache's are sweet but I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a Cobra either... :cool2: :thumb:

DampCharcoal

Cool thread! For close ground support and raw firepower, I'm going with the A-10 as well. Pretty impressive when the airframe is largely designed around an automatic cannon!

russellmn

I LOVED having the A-10 for ground support, the only thing that got the Iraqi's heads down better was an ATACM round from an MLRS unit. An ATACM was nicknamed "Steel Rain" because it would detonate over head and "rain" down shrapnel over a square kilometer. Decimating EVERYTHING. Needless to say we couldn't be close when they sent them out. Used them to "prep" the ao first. When your dick's in the fire nothing beats an A-10.

Robert 45

I like the WWII jeep, so much that I own two of them.
first one is a 1942 GPW and the second one is a 1945 GPW Jeep.
The 42 is restored the 45 is still in waiting.

Robert B.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Robert 45 said:
I like the WWII jeep, so much that I own two of them.
first one is a 1942 GPW and the second one is a 1945 GPW Jeep.
The 42 is restored the 45 is still in waiting.

Robert B.

How about some pics of them Robert? :thumb:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Probably still the B-17.

Pictures from my ride in Aluminum Overcast.
dzalphakilo were you here?

Attachments

• B-17 023.jpg
    B-17 023.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,019
  • B-17 026.jpg
    B-17 026.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,001
  • B-17 028.jpg
    B-17 028.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,007

dzalphakilo

Banned
No Bob, different plane. Plane was here in N.C and it so happened that my father was in town for a visit. He enlisted in the Air Force in 1950 and got out twenty some years later, but he always spoke of those older airplanes with great affection (his brother flew in one in WW2). What was neat was that there was actually a pilot of one of these planes who flew in WW2 that went up that day, made a nice news article and the guy was crying when he got off.

My dad didn't know that the plane was in town that weekend and I got him a surprise Christmas present early. He was smiling ear to ear:thumb:

Really makes you appreciate what those guys went through when you see the equipment of that time.

Attachments

• Tony - front of plane.JPG
    Tony - front of plane.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 1,000
  • b17insidelastone.jpg
    b17insidelastone.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 985

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
WWII production Willy's or Ford MB

Late wWWII and Korea era Vought/Chance F4U Corsair.

Did you know the last known combat flights of the P51 and F4U, a F4U shot the enemy P51 down? I don't have the book here right now, but it was a dispute between El Salvador and Honduras I think...

Interesting too, the F4U won most mock air battles in late WWII when tested in the US against P51's, P-47's, A6/Zero's, Messerschmidts. The US Army Air Force was doing comparisons of the planes.