• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rebuilding an old ranch house !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
It all started back in 2003.

The wife and I were tired of California and its high cost of living and we looking hard for a retirement place we could spent part time at . We had are Panama Home and just wanted to be a little more in the country . The wife started looking at different areas . I had recently gone to Idaho and help rebuild a home that had burned . I liked the area . We finally made a trip to Council , Idaho but really did not see anything we really liked . I had figured I would just custom build a new home for us , once we found some property we liked .
In the mean time the wife started looking on the internet . One day she asked me to look at a place she had found in Orogrande , Idaho . As I looked at the pictures I realized that the contact phone number was right where we lived in Calif. We called the seller and she turned out to be a great lady who invited us to her home to review pictures of there place in Idaho . It looked interesting and she gave us the keys and said to check it out . She also told us we really should make a trip on up the road to a place called Elk City , Idaho . Being a Elk Hunting nut I was intrigued enough to make the drive .
The Orogrande home turned out to not be what we were looking for . We decided to take a quick look up the road at Elk City that afternoon . As we climbed along the river road we topped out into a broad meadow . I had already seen enough . This was where I planned to buy no matter what the cost . It was beautiful . Elk Herds and Whitetail deer everywhere . Lots of old ranches . We drove back down to Grangeville 64 miles to spend the night . The next morning , we went looking for a realtor .She was great and set up some properties to look at . A 7 1/2 acre piece and a 20 acre piece . We liked them both and put an offer on the 20 acre piece . The owner would not move on the price so we made an offer on the 7 1/2 piece and got it . It had a nice little strean bordering one side . As we were looking at the property a neighbor showed up checking to see who was on the property . It turned out the neighbor and our Realtor's husband had been Forest Rangers together . The neighbor told us the ajoining ranch would be comming on the market soon , as the owner had been killed by a Bull . He had no idea when it would be listed . The place looked old and run down . Lots of trash and junk piled everywhere .
6 weeks later I was back in Idaho finishing up the damaged burned home that had first brought me to Idaho . The plan was to go Elk Hunting when we finished in a few days . That night my wife called and informed me the the old ranch was not going to be listed but sold by auction on the opening day of Elk Season !!!! I had a decision to make .....Auction or hunting ???
I went to the auction . By a stroke of luck I came out high bidder on the old ranch . The old ranch house dated back to the 1800's and was a mess . There were 13 additions that had been made through the years . Talk about a mess . I planned to tear it down and build a new bigger place . This place was 36 acres so that would give us 43 plus acres between to two pieces of property.
Then I met my neighbor... She was the wife of the guy who had checked us out that day we were looking at the 7 1/2 acre piece . She explained to me that she had been born on the ranch and I was the first person outside the family to ever own the old place . Her great Grandfather had homesteaded the place back in the 1800's . Then she asked me the killer question ......What was my intentions with the old house ,she had grew up in . ....???
I looked that little lady in her teary eyes and there was no way in Hell I could come out and tell her I planned to tear it down .
I told her I would take another look and see what I could do to save it ,,,,"IF",,,, that was even possible . I had serious doubts about saving it and the wife thought I was nuts .
I climbed up into the attic and spent 45 minutes sitting up there letting my mind wonder what possibilities, I might be able to come up with . I then headed under the house and spent 2 hours looking at the supports and floor system . There were add on's everywhere . Half the floor and roof system was log and half was rough sawn lumber . The front of the house was 3 different pieces . 2 had been dragged in and butted up against each other to make a larger area .

So what you are about to see is what I did . Before and after . The only good thing is it gave me a place to stay as I remodeled the old place . It took longer to remodel than it would have been to build a new place . I saved and reused as much old timber as possible .I used local timber and building supplies in new and different ways to come up with the old rustic look I wanted . Cost was about 1/3 the cost of building a new place .
We moved in full time in Jan. 2011 . I have used the place as a hunting camp up until then .

So here is a series of Pictures as we rebuilt the old place .

If you have any questions about how we accomplished the new look ,just ask .

The first exterior pictures are of the place as we bought it and the exterior progress as we changed the look . We removed and torn down some things and added others .We added a new covered front porch with a fire pit . This was my first attempt at making log railings . Very time consuming.It took a lot of work to aline the front of the house so it had one straight plane . Just about every roof overhang was extended also .The old (what was left) siding was removed and local pine was sawn and used as a board & batt style siding . The old roof was removed and a new metal roof was installed . A new 2 car garage was added in the rear .
Enjoy the pictures !

Attachments

• elk city 003.jpg
    elk city 003.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 104
  • elk city 004.jpg
    elk city 004.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 105
  • east side of house.jpg
    east side of house.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 104
  • elk city 016.jpg
    elk city 016.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 104
  • front of house.jpg
    front of house.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Idaho house 002.jpg
    Idaho house 002.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Idaho house 003.jpg
    Idaho house 003.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 105
  • idaho remodel 007.jpg
    idaho remodel 007.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 104
  • idaho remodel 006.jpg
    idaho remodel 006.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

loboloco

Al, that is known as a labor of love. The house will return it to you many times over I hope.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
At the same time I was doing the exterior , i was also doing the interior . The old place had 7 foot flat ceilings everywhere and I wanted big open rooms with high ceilings . All the work was done by my wife and myself .We raised the ceiling to 14 feet at the peak . We moved the location of the wood stove and the past two weeks I added the entertainment system and built in book case . All work was done by my wife and myself. The floors are Australian Cypress . The Pine lumber is all cut from the property . All walls were insulted and lined with Tyveck on the inside and also as a exterior wrap too . The house is very air tight . All new wirings and plumbing through out .

Pictures of the living room
before and after

Attachments

• elk city 006.jpg
    elk city 006.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 86
  • elk city 013.jpg
    elk city 013.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 86
  • idaho 023.jpg
    idaho 023.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 86
  • idaho remodel 001.jpg
    idaho remodel 001.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCI1467 - Copy (2).jpg
    DSCI1467 - Copy (2).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
The kitchen was a real challenge . Metal cabinets , low ceilings , paneling and rotten floors . I ended up tearing out 1/2 of the whole floor system in the kitchen /dining room . This was another addition that had been dragged in and butted up to the old living room . I used Rough sawn "Blue Pine" that came from the place and planed it into cabinets . My wife found an old "Spark" Gas cook stove on Ebay and I completely rebuilt in with all the bells and whistles . That took me 3 months . We tiled the counters and raised the roof making it appear like a miners shack . wood flooring was continued into the kitchen from the living room .Recess lighting was used to keep the design as clean as possible We also changed to a big window in the dining room and added a window to the corner sink . This involved removing part of the laundry room to give me enough space to squeeze it in .

Attachments

• elk city 007.jpg
    elk city 007.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 79
  • elk city 014.jpg
    elk city 014.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 79
  • elk city 015.jpg
    elk city 015.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 79
  • idaho remodel 003.jpg
    idaho remodel 003.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 80
  • idaho remodel 004.jpg
    idaho remodel 004.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCI1464.jpg
    DSCI1464.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 1892.jpg
    1892.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 79

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
At the same time I was doing the exterior , i was also doing the interior . The old place had 7 foot flat ceilings everywhere and I wanted big open rooms with high ceilings . All the work was done by my wife and myself .We raised the ceiling to 14 feet at the peak . We moved the location of the wood stove and the past two weeks I added the entertainment system and built in book case . All work was done by my wife and myself. The floors are Australian Cypress . The Pine lumber is all cut from the property . All walls were insulted and lined with Tyveck on the inside and also as a exterior wrap too . The house is very air tight . All new wirings and plumbing through out .

Pictures of the living room
before and after

Do have a question though on your stove... Your pipe looks like it goes right up to the ceiling before it transitions though the roof, do you get much radiant heat though there?

You can either put an extension of the black pipe going though the roof, or a heat shield that is about two feet across that goes around the pipe and it on the ceiling. That would bring the hot section of the pipe a bit farther away from where the pipe could cause a fire. A friend had one somewhat like that and it caught his ceiling on fire even with the Sheetrock that he had there.

Anyway, it still looks great!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
looks like Al has a metalbestos insert on his stove pipe looks good Al no get to work on that krusty

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Do have a question though on your stove... Your pipe looks like it goes right up to the ceiling before it transitions though the roof, do you get much radiant heat though there?

You can either put an extension of the black pipe going though the roof, or a heat shield that is about two feet across that goes around the pipe and it on the ceiling. That would bring the hot section of the pipe a bit farther away from where the pipe could cause a fire. A friend had one somewhat like that and it caught his ceiling on fire even with the Sheetrock that he had there.

Anyway, it still looks great!

Foggy , The last 18" is a special pipe supplied with the stove vent kit . I get very little heat off the stove pipe as it is a air tight stove .You can put your hand on it at that point and not get burned .

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Great pics, Al. I sure would like to see some more of your woodshop.:smile:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
The old house had one bathroom added on the back. It had also been dragged in and added to the house . Nothing but the original log structure was built on site .
One bath at the far end of the house from the bedrooms would never work so I added a second bath in the smallest room . We installed a Jazucci Tub with rain shower head , handicap toilet and a small basin . I have since added an additional cabinet for towels over and above the toilet .I tiled to the ceiling in the tub/shower area to stop in moisture problems on the walls .Pine tree limbs as towel bars finished it off nicely .
We then turned the original bath into a secondary one . The old tub was ripped out and the room was stripped back to the studs . A window was added .Everything was replaced and a 36" shower was installed with a corner sink . It works well as a bath to use when I come in the breezeway from the back . A "old horse collar" is being reworked to use as a sink mirror . Again I used tile on the counter tops .

Attachments

• elk city 009.jpg
    elk city 009.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 58
  • elk city house inteior pictures 006.jpg
    elk city house inteior pictures 006.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 58
  • elk city house inteior pictures 007.jpg
    elk city house inteior pictures 007.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 58
  • elk city house inteior pictures 008.jpg
    elk city house inteior pictures 008.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 58
  • elk city 012.jpg
    elk city 012.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 58
  • idaho remodel 005.jpg
    idaho remodel 005.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 58

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Great pics, Al. I sure would like to see some more of your woodshop.:smile:

Right now my workshop is the front porch , a small section in the barn/shop and part of the garage . It is a mess until I get everything unpacked in somewhat of an order . The trailer is still packed with 90% of my tools :w00t2:.I am getting tired of going back and forth between areas !:doh: Here's a picture of my new shop/barn under construction last year . It full of crap from moving !!! First picture is of a 1600 square foot apartment upstairs !

Attachments

• Barn pictures 2008 005.jpg
    Barn pictures 2008 005.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Barn pictures 2008 002.jpg
    Barn pictures 2008 002.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Barn pictures 2008 003.jpg
    Barn pictures 2008 003.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 55

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm still in love with that kitchen stove!

Yes we love that old stove . I took me awhile to rebuild and I had to build new spark tubes and make safeties for the oven . All the burner valves needed rebuilding too . It heats to 550 degrees and is within 3 degrees across the thermostat . It has the first automatic oven thermostat ever made for stoves . Its called a Robert Shaw Mod#J thermostat and is controlled by a graphite rod . I even found a cook book that was supplied with the Thermostat when is was sold back in the early 1900's. It came with the Salt,Pepper, Sugar and Salt shakers that fit in the alcove on the back . The stove vent is actually fitted into the wall in the back of the unit and excess heat is duct to the outside .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
The bedrooms were even a bigger mess ! 3 different add ons that had been dragged in from God knows where . I raised the support roof beam in bedroom #2 and gave it a very rustic woodsy look by using Blue pine on the ceiling . Each room was insulted and wrapped inside with Tyvek before the new sheetrock was installed . That stuff is great for stopping noise and heat loss .
The 7' ceiling in the master bedroom was ripped out and a cathedral ceiling was installed . Its not a big room but now has the feel of a little miners shack with all the bells and whistles .
Bedroom #3 had the door moved and a bigger window installed .
The hallway was a right angle affair that I had to turn sidesways to get down . It was about 30" wide . I straightened it out and increased the width to 42" . It made all the difference in the world . A set of dissappearing attic stairs finished it off .
Lastly I removed two additions in the wash room , changed the windows and the doors positions and added a tankless hot water heater and a big wash tub too . It works great . We keep the dogs here in the winter so I took the pine panel door and cut it in half so the upper half could be left open to provide heat to that room . It worked out prefect .

A breezeway connects the house to the new two car garage so I never need to walk in snow to access the car or truck . A built in boot box hides all the boots and provides a place to put on or take off our shoes in the winter .I also built in a pass through fire wood storage box that holds about 3 days worth of wood . The access panel is next to the wood stove in the living room .

Well .....Thats about it . I also built a new 5000s ft barn/shop with a 1600 sq ft apartment upstairs and will add another 24 x 60 equipment shed this summer .I also will be adding a 18'x15' heated green house for the wife in the spring . All the buildings match each other in the exterior look . Metal roofs, board and batt siding and rock veneer wainscot along the bottom half .
Hope you enjoyed my story !:clap:

Attachments

• elk city 010.jpg
    elk city 010.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 34
  • elk city house inteior pictures 011.jpg
    elk city house inteior pictures 011.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 34
  • elk city 011.jpg
    elk city 011.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 34
  • elk city house inteior pictures 004.jpg