• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

why-marijuana-is-illegal

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
why-marijuana-is-illegal

Well worth reading. Essentially, after FDR legalized liquor, the Prohibitionists turned their sights on another evil threat to The American Way Of Life, ie Mexican immigrants and what was perceived as 'their' unusual customs. And by the way hemp competed with products that the lobbyists wanted to promote.

I wish I had time to edit a proper quote, but it's late evening and I'm about to start a 2 hour drive back to the city.

Just read the article. If you believe that article Bob quoted, saying the government today has plans to stomp out anything seen as unAmerican, well this looks like the 1930s version of the same paranoia - enacted into law.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cali, this is one of those times when you and I are in agreement!

The prohibitionists did some weird things and not necessarily to create a safe, moral society but rather to protect business interests and empower politicians:
the reason for the war against marijuana was the result of growing demand for hemp-the male and non-euphoria producing version of the cannabis plant. At the time, hemp was on its way to becoming the nation’s biggest cash crop due to its ability to produce a variety of exportable goods such as: rope, paper, clothing, food and even fuel. Since hemp can grow at a much faster rate and in larger quantities it was ideal for the production of paper, clothing, and rope. However, Secretary of the Treasury, Andrew Mellon, was a prime backer for the DuPont Petrochemical Company who had a lot to lose if hemp became the country’s number one cash crop. It is believed that Mellon’s company, Mellon Financial Corporation, who was associated with DuPont, pushed the FBN to pursue legislation against marijuana.