• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sending Videos

BoneheadNW

Besides Youtube, are there other ways to share videos with friends and family? I bought my wife a mini digital video camera for her birthday and we are wanting to share some video of the kids with family. Any suggestions?
Bonehead

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Email works for short videos.
You could burn them to a CD and snail mail them (not near as easy as uploading, but it's private).
Here is a link to a site comparing the top 10 video sharing services:
http://www.dvguru.com/2006/04/07/ten-video-sharing-services-compared/

and if you google share video you'll see even more sites that allow you to upload and share your videos. I would assume some of them will allow you to password protect your video if you didn't want to share them publicly.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Besides Youtube, are there other ways to share videos with friends and family? I bought my wife a mini digital video camera for her birthday and we are wanting to share some video of the kids with family. Any suggestions?
Bonehead
I'm hoping you can give a review of the new camera. Here is another thread asking about digital camcorders but there's been no suggestions.

Also, how big are the files it's generating? My movie setting on my pocket camera generates a file of > 1 meg/second. They quickly become too large for e-mailing.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Here is a link to a site comparing the top 10 video sharing services:
http://www.dvguru.com/2006/04/07/ten-video-sharing-services-compared/

All those are for public sharing. I think what Bone needs is http://picasaweb.google.com Here you can upload videos and pictures. You can make each album either Public or Unlisted. Although the Unlisted is not password protected or anything like that, it uses a very cryptic URL and would be impossible to guess. You need to email a link to someone so they can see your Unlisted albums.

BoneheadNW

Dave and PB-
Both are good ideas. I even think I used to have a Picasa account.

BC- here is the camera I bought for Mrs Bonehead. It is VERY basic, but very small and light. Perfect for carrying in your pocket. Uploading the software on your computer is quick and the software itself is very simple. If you want something with no bells and whistles, this is it!
Bone

BoneheadNW

Here is the camera- note how small it is.
Bone

Attachments

• MyPicture.jpg
    MyPicture.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 82

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I'm sure the photo sharing sites are easier to use but if you are a do-it-yourself type, and expect to have vids and pictures shared indefinitely, then you might check out a web hosting company. At the hobby level this is very inexpensive for effectively an infinite amount of space, and you don't have to put up with the junk that photo hosting sites wrap around your photos.

I maintain a family site for a family-events photo album and to post genealogy stuff that relatives send me. Google can see that site.

And I also have a separate anonymous site where I can put up stuff like the Hoover Dam photo set I posted here (I think it was here) a while back.
I have a couple of technical tractor vids stored there and referenced from my NTT sig: 1980 Yanmar YM240 photos. Click on that and scroll to the bottom of the page to see how I linked to them.

For me, maintaining these two personal websites is simpler than dealing with a photo hosting site and learning its peculiarities. And if you never post the URL, nobody you didn't invite will ever see the pictures.

I use 1and1.com for these but there are many alternatives. Doc may also provide this service.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is the camera- note how small it is.
Bone

bimp!!!

Bonehead, does that camera take "still" photos as well as video? Or just video?

I found a camera that looks just like that on Amazon.com and remembered your thread. I'm looking for the camera as a gift for my daughter, but really want to give her both functions. Is your camera the "FLIP Ultra" model?

BoneheadNW

No, not the ultra, the cheaper model. See here. As for stills, I do not believe that it does.

With regard to video storage sites, I found one that I like called Vimeo. It is basically the video equivalent of Flicker.
Bone