• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

3M Security Film ... or a good gun safe for your valuables?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We are having 3M Security Film installed as I am typing. It is used on US Embassies and other government buildings as blast protection against car bombs, its used to foil burglars from entering retail stores through windows, and its used in riot prone nations to protect large windows on commercial properties against rioters.

It is NOT a 100% guarantee against entry through the window. It is NOT bullet proof. It IS, however, a strong deterrent and something that will dramatically SLOW DOWN entry for a very determined burglar and it will STOP a burglar who does not have the luxury of plenty of time.

So let me ask a question.

If you are just starting out in a new home and you do not have a big fancy expensive gun safe, are you better off installing 3M Security Film, or are you better off buying an expensive gun safe?

I think you are better off getting Security Film first, and then you can get a less expensive gun safe. My logic is simple, you have a gun safe in case they break into your house. But the 3M film prevents them from getting into your home so your need for a gun safe is dramatically reduced. I am NOT saying you don't need a gun safe. I'm just saying the odds of a successful burglary at your home are greatly reduced. That said, if I had to choose between FILM + a $699 safe, and a house without FILM but with a $2000 safe, I'd feel more secure in the house with the FILM over the windows. The $2000 safe may offer more protection for the guns, but it offers absolutely zero protection for your other valuables, TV sets, computers, family members, pets, etc.

Just something to think about.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYdVK3BqPfk"]YouTube - ‪3M Security Window Film Demo‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lFCbjV7NgQ&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪3M Security Window Film - Intruder caught on CCTV‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXRmvtfK3-4&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪3M Safety film - a Dramatic, Real-Life Video‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HczmrOj0HY&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Bomb Test with 3M Safety Film‬‏[/ame]

k-dog

I like the idea of the film as it will help protect everything in your house whereas the safe will only protect what you put in it.
But then most houses have wooden door jambs and unless reinforced with steel would split and the thief would have access without having to deal with film. Most thieves are lazy and won't go to too much effort though.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Can't you just cut this stuff? Smash the glass then cut the film? All I see are blunt force demos.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the idea of the film as it will help protect everything in your house whereas the safe will only protect what you put in it.
But then most houses have wooden door jambs and unless reinforced with steel would split and the thief would have access without having to deal with film. Most thieves are lazy and won't go to too much effort though.
Yup there are weak points. My assumption is if you use this stuff then you've already got reinforced door jams, probably an alarm system, etc.

Can't you just cut this stuff? Smash the glass then cut the film? All I see are blunt force demos.
The problem is you have to make a large enough hole to get through to get a knife inside to attempt to make a cut and hope to get all the way through. The shattered glass will actually make it tougher to cut because this stuff does NOT tear.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BY THE WAY, how safe is your safe? Check these videos:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ3oOVZJ2Y8"]YouTube - ‪Safe cracked in under one minute!‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtbGUbeM860&NR=1"]YouTube - ‪Meilink TL30 Safe Burglary Test at UL‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2EyFNCAX3s&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Head to Head safe pry test‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Q3aDy-BUc&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪some safes are easy to break in!‬‏[/ame]

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I bought a gun safe recently but more for the fire protection and to keep kids away. Anyone skilled should be able to pry most safes pretty quickly.

Heck if they look around they might find a cutting torch pretty easily.

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
If you buy a safe to protect stuff you might as well buy the best one you can afford and bolt it down to the floor,the film can be defeated but it takes time and criminals don't want to be standing out side trying to get in.they are lazy and are usually opportunistic.

loboloco

Let me explain something. If they really want in bad enough, security systems only make them work for it. Locks, security systems, safes, 3M sheets are to keep honest folks honest and discourage the lazy. A pro will find a way in if he really wants to get in.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
YES, anything can be broken into and anything can be stolen.

The 3M film is designed to SLOW DOWN entry so much that criminals are deterred and go somewhere else. Most criminals will move along. Not all. But most.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like the 3M film is a good thing Bob.
By the way, glad they found your gun. :)

Last edited:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
YES, anything can be broken into and anything can be stolen.

The 3M film is designed to SLOW DOWN entry so much that criminals are deterred and go somewhere else. Most criminals will move along. Not all. But most.

With us having 3 storms packing winds over 80 mph in the last month, I'm tempted to have it applied to windows and doors to prevent a flying "6X6 with a few leaves attached" from entering one of my kids' bedrooms. Is it overly expensive?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For the main floor of my house, plus 2 of the upstairs windows, the cost was $1600. BUT, on over 1/2 of the square footage of glass I had a premium product applied that has both SECURITY + SOLAR properties. For the remainder I only had SECURITY properties. The majority of my upstairs windows did not have this applied because there is simply no access to the 2nd or 3rd floors at the rear of the house. I also have a bunch of windows that are 8 to 10 feet above the ground (double stacked windows) that do not have the security film on those. I have 28 windows on the West side of my house, the film was only applied to 10 of them. It was applied to all the windows on the North & South sides of my home and less than 1/2 of those on the East side of my home.

A friend of mine who has more shade than I do accepted a bid on his home and his price was $700 less than my house, I don't know how many windows he had done.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
For the main floor of my house, plus 2 of the upstairs windows, the cost was $1600. BUT, on over 1/2 of the square footage of glass I had a premium product applied that has both SECURITY + SOLAR properties. For the remainder I only had SECURITY properties. The majority of my upstairs windows did not have this applied because there is simply no access to the 2nd or 3rd floors at the rear of the house. I also have a bunch of windows that are 8 to 10 feet above the ground (double stacked windows) that do not have the security film on those. I have 28 windows on the West side of my house, the film was only applied to 10 of them. It was applied to all the windows on the North & South sides of my home and less than 1/2 of those on the East side of my home.

A friend of mine who has more shade than I do accepted a bid on his home and his price was $700 less than my house, I don't know how many windows he had done.
I would be curious to know if the film is scratch resistant as far as cleaning them goes . Or is there special instructions for when it comes to cleaning ? :unsure:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It cleans like a window, but no abrasive cleaners can be used.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I got a call from on of the detectives, the County Prosecutor is going after BOTH the guy who was caught with my gun AND the girlfriend he lives with for theft. She is apparently the sister of the guy who was caught by my neighbor and held at gunpoint until the Sheriff arrived (at least if I got the story straight).

I past that in this thread because the detective then started asking me about the 3M Security film and he now wants to install it on his house!!!