• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Making my own outside lights !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Why is it , when your are not looking for a job , people want to hire you ????
When I first purchased my old ranch and decided to remodel it ,the one thing I really wanted was the old style Kerosene lanterns for outside lights, but wired for 120 volt lights . I know they make them but could not find any I really liked and the prices were crazy for what there was avalible .
So I did the next best thing . I made my own . I ordered a case of new "oil burning" Kerosene lamps from Ebay . They were cheap at under $10 a piece . I then headed to Home Depot to the lamp part section and bought new light bases , lamp cord wire and twinkling type 40 watt light bulbs .
The Kerosene lamp company asked me what I planned to do with so many . I told them my plan and they asked that I send them a picture when done .
The first one took me about an hour to convert and after that they averaged about 30 minutes a piece .
I sent the company a picture of my finished product and by the end of the day had a reply from them asking if I would consider wholesaling the electric Lanterns to them .
Now I have $13 in total cost for each one . I could not find anything at less than $100 when I was first looking.

And the nice part is these lamps are the real deal !!!!

Attachments

• P1010052.JPG
    P1010052.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 53

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
How about just giving them away to your friends, if you got any:w00t2:

I tried that and have not seen him since he got his free light :sad: ????????:yum:
I just like to fliddle around with stuff . I am now making Boot box seats for placing next to the front door or porch to hold muddy/dirty boots and also give a place to sit while putting them on or taking them off . They seem to be a big hit around here . Got to find things to keep busy !!!!!

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Nice job AL, and i'm not showing my wife your project as she will ad them to my to do list:hammer:

snow dog

I tried that and have not seen him since he got his free light :sad: ????????:yum:
I just like to fliddle around with stuff . I am now making Boot box seats for placing next to the front door or porch to hold muddy/dirty boots and also give a place to sit while putting them on or taking them off . They seem to be a big hit around here . Got to find things to keep busy !!!!!

don't forget the thing living on the trailer:whistling:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Nice job AL, and i'm not showing my wife your project as she will ad them to my to do list:hammer:

Yes ... and add, "Why didn't you think of that?". :biggrin::biggrin:

If you come up with a design for a boot box, let me know. Right now I'm using an old, refurbished school desk rescued from a Texas Armory to sit on and remove my boots. There's no place to store them except underneath the seat. I can build most things in wood from a plan or a drawing but sitting down and designing it from scratch ... that's difficult. Hey, I'm an engineer ... what do you expect?

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe its just the old school in me but aint that kind of a backasswards idea ? Kinda like fixing something that aint broke.:yankchain::hide:

Sure they look great but not going to be near as handy when the power goes out . I love the real old lanterns myself & have a couple of dozen but I use ours to SAVE on electricity. :yum:

Lia

Banned
Why is it , when your are not looking for a job , people want to hire you ????
When I first purchased my old ranch and decided to remodel it ,the one thing I really wanted was the old style Kerosene lanterns for outside lights, but wired for 120 volt lights . I know they make them but could not find any I really liked and the prices were crazy for what there was avalible .
So I did the next best thing . I made my own . I ordered a case of new "oil burning" Kerosene lamps from Ebay . They were cheap at under $10 a piece . I then headed to Home Depot to the lamp part section and bought new light bases , lamp cord wire and twinkling type 40 watt light bulbs .
The Kerosene lamp company asked me what I planned to do with so many . I told them my plan and they asked that I send them a picture when done .
The first one took me about an hour to convert and after that they averaged about 30 minutes a piece .
I sent the company a picture of my finished product and by the end of the day had a reply from them asking if I would consider wholesaling the electric Lanterns to them .
Now I have $13 in total cost for each one . I could not find anything at less than $100 when I was first looking.

And the nice part is these lamps are the real deal !!!!

very clever idea! You know, I've got one of those Kerosene lamps (looks almost the same as mine), skulling around somewhere in one of the sheds... never actually used it, and I think it cost me around a fiver, not sure now.

In any event, around my place I have those solar lamps, of varying design, scattered about, and altho they're ok, and sort of do the job, they don't give out enuff light, unless one has them so compacted and prolific, which isn't practical.

Simply great idea, and it looks super! Well done!