• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Lightbulbs

jwstewar

We already know that the government has told us what we are to have in our house by banning the manufacture of the good 'ol Edison lightbulb. After Jan. 1 they can no longer make 100 watt bulbs. Then followed by the 40, 60, & 75 watt ones. They are forcing everyone to go with either compact flourescents (CFLs) or Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs).

As we have been replacing bulbs in the house we have been going with CFLs for the most part. Just bought my first LED a couple of weeks ago. $25 for 1 bulb supposedly only uses 4 watts vs. the 50-watt it replaced. Now taking the not so Green side of CFLs and the cost of LEDs out of the question, I still have a bit of a problem with both of these.

First, neither of them support dimmers much. Haven't found any LEDs for dimmable lights and only a few CFLs that do. Still haven't found a CFL with the small Candalobra base that can be dimmed. This is what all of our ceiling fan lights in the house use.

Second, neither CFLs or LEDs can be used in enclosed light fixtures. We don't have many of these, but we do have a couple in the house. What are we supposed to use in them?

Third, outside lights. I currently have 3 lights on the outside of the garage on the house, plus some outside porch lights, then 5 lights on the outside of the barn. What kind of bulb am I supposed to use out there? If I put a CFL in them, by the time they warm up in the winter time so that they are actually producing some light, the sun will be up the next morning. And LEDs don't really work well there either because they don't do a "flood" of light like one of Tom's bulbs.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My thoughts (and what I did) are to buy a lifetime supply of old style bulbs while you still can.

What do you mean by this? What kind of fixtures?
"Second, neither CFLs or LEDs can be used in enclosed light fixtures."

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
My thoughts (and what I did) are to buy a lifetime supply of old style bulbs while you still can.

What do you mean by this? What kind of fixtures?
"Second, neither CFLs or LEDs can be used in enclosed light fixtures."

I would be curious to know as well , I have CFL,s in all off my ceiling lights . :unsure:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I've been using CFL's in my house for 8 years. I use them everywhere possible but obviously dimmer's and some lamps don't work well with them.

I like them and they cost me less to run and last a long time. The latest one's I got are so small and the light is much nicer than the older versions.

Of course, I was using them before the govt started pushing them. I almost want to change back to the old style bulbs just because I hate this type of government intervention in our lives.

jwstewar

If you read the package, CFLs and LEDs neither one are to be used in fixtures that are completely enclosed. I don't know if these lights emit gases or what, wouldn't think it would be heat - especially in the case of an LED versus an incadescent.

Attachments

• enclosed light.jpg
    enclosed light.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 43

fuzznutz

If you read the package, CFLs and LEDs neither one are to be used in fixtures that are completely enclosed. I don't know if these lights emit gases or what, wouldn't think it would be heat - especially in the case of an LED versus an incadescent.

from what i understand about the cfl bulbs the reason that you aren't supposed to use them in an enclosed fixture is because the base of the bulb contains a ballast. when the light is on the ballast creates heat and if the bulb is in an enclosed fixture the heat can't dissapate easily which leads to the balast getting too hot and burning out. which obviously shortens the lifespan of the bulbs considerably. i don't know why they say the same with the led bulbs probably a similar reason. i however know that led bulbs can be found in spot and flood types but the flood type of led isn't cheap.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

Whoops - read the packaging? :hide: I only put one bulb in each fixture (two is too bright). Been there seven years and no issue (yet). :whistle:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I use them all over in enclosed fixtures. Haven't noticed any premature failures due to heat.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have some CFL's that are over 8 or 9 years old and still working. I hate the government telling us what to use. I think they should get the assholes that made this rule and the one who came up with the new gas cans and let me tar and feather them. I can't believe we can not get a rule exemption for a damn gas flex spout for all the cans I have. I have taken to wrapping the old ones with tape to keep using them. I also have a bunch of light bulbs stored somewhere around here for the barn and other outbuildings.

fuzznutz

ok here is a section i copied from wikipedia to support what i said about using cfl bulbs in enclosed fixtures

Some CFLs are labelled not to be run base up, since heat will shorten the ballast's life. Such CFLs are unsuitable for use in pendant lamps and especially unsuitable for recessed light fixtures. CFLs for use in such fixtures are available.[70] Current recommendations for fully enclosed, unventilated light fixtures (such as those recessed into insulated ceilings), are either to use "reflector CFLs" (R-CFL),[71][72] cold cathode CFLs or to replace such fixtures with those designed for CFLs.[71] A CFL will thrive in areas that have good airflow, such as in a table lamp.[73]

K

kermit2

I have some CFL's that are over 8 or 9 years old and still working. I hate the government telling us what to use. I think they should get the assholes that made this rule and the one who came up with the new gas cans and let me tar and feather them. I can't believe we can not get a rule exemption for a damn gas flex spout for all the cans I have. I have taken to wrapping the old ones with tape to keep using them. I also have a bunch of light bulbs stored somewhere around here for the barn and other outbuildings.
I agree with you 99% only I'd shove that spout far up their rear, real far. Talk about a pain in the hand, plus I spill more gas now with the new ones. I use a funnel now, it's easier.
The problem is we elect LAWMAKERS, not representatives. They climb over each other to show their voters what good they can do. A bunch of overpaid crooks. I say we should have,,,,oops
I will miss the old 100 watt bulb.