• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The Ultimate RV Setup

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Saw this today at Wally World. The old boy has more then a few bucks into this setup.

43610754070_031352cb85_h.jpg

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've never seen a rig like that on the road but I've seen a few on the internet.

I almost joined that club. Many years ago the F350 dually blew off a turbocharger hose while pulling the 5th wheel and I couldn't see it until the next day. I had to limp home for 300 miles. That was a long day. A diesel doesn't run worth a darn without a turbocharger. I had my wife convinced that what we needed to pull the 5-er was a Freightliner Sportschasis. I almost made it …. but not quite. We got rid of the 5th wheel and kept the truck. Still got it and it's still running great.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like this setup better than the big motorhomes, and I'll guess this one is cheaper than most of the newer full size motorhomes.

I wonder what he uses to get the little vehicle off the back? Ramps?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I like this setup better than the big motorhomes, and I'll guess this one is cheaper than most of the newer full size motorhomes.

I wonder what he uses to get the little vehicle off the back? Ramps?

Ramps??? Yup.

The tow vehicle probably costs in excess of 150K and the 5th wheel probably around 90K. Call it 250K and be done with it. The Smart car … who knows.

Motorhomes run from 100K on up to millions. Pick your price point.

5th wheels, bumper pulls or motorhomes? There are plusses and minuses to them all. It's a matter of personal choice.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a neighbor who has a Kenworth single axle tractor with living quarters, and an automatic transmission, a C12 Caterpillar under the hood, and is registered as a motor home.. It also has a place an is wired for a generator set.. It has 500K miles and is priced at $30K if anyone is interested. No special DL to drive it at all.... It will out last most who would use it for personal use.. :wink: New this thing would cost over 100K..

Regards, Kirk

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Ramps??? Yup.

The tow vehicle probably costs in excess of 150K and the 5th wheel probably around 90K. Call it 250K and be done with it. The Smart car … who knows.

Motorhomes run from 100K on up to millions. Pick your price point.

5th wheels, bumper pulls or motorhomes? There are plusses and minuses to them all. It's a matter of personal choice.

Add another 50 bucks or so for that thing. :yum:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Cool setup. Minus the smart car. Lol

My inlaws had a single axle freightliner they used to haul their 5th wheel. Theirs was the 3/4 sized truck with quad cab. It hauled the camper fine down to Arizona each winter but since they didn't have a smart car loaded up, they were stuck driving around in a freightliner all winter.

My parents opted for a 39' diesel pusher motorhome with 5 slides hauling a 24' matching enclosed car hauler that hauls both their jeep and dad's Harley as well as a garage full of tools. I think the only thing he doesn't have in there is a welder.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Cool setup. Minus the smart car. Lol

My inlaws had a single axle freightliner they used to haul their 5th wheel. Theirs was the 3/4 sized truck with quad cab. It hauled the camper fine down to Arizona each winter but since they didn't have a smart car loaded up, they were stuck driving around in a freightliner all winter.

My parents opted for a 39' diesel pusher motorhome with 5 slides hauling a 24' matching enclosed car hauler that hauls both their jeep and dad's Harley as well as a garage full of tools. I think the only thing he doesn't have in there is a welder.

That's one of the disadvantages of using a big truck to pull a big 5th wheel or trailer. I did it for many years. Now I have a big motorhome pulling a small SUV. That's much more manageable. If I need a welder, I'll make a phone call. :yum:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
For the first couple years, my parents hauled their vehicle down behind their old motorhome. But dad wanted his Harley down there as well seeing as they spend 6 months. So they bought a newer one with a matching trailer. The previous owner had a race car and only used it to haul around his car to the tracks. I believe the motorhome only had 22k for mileage and was 6 years old when they bought it.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
For the first couple years, my parents hauled their vehicle down behind their old motorhome. But dad wanted his Harley down there as well seeing as they spend 6 months. So they bought a newer one with a matching trailer. The previous owner had a race car and only used it to haul around his car to the tracks. I believe the motorhome only had 22k for mileage and was 6 years old when they bought it.

Sounds like a great deal.

I've seen some of those rigs. I used to have a buddy who was the premier builder of frames for dragster motorcycles in the country. I used to see some of the rigs that his customers used to pull up in. Incredible. That was definitely a rich man's sport. It's a pity that the stock market crash of 10-years ago soaked up all that disposable cash.

Bamby

That is one fine rig and maybe the best in not the most expensive choice for some people. But I'll reserve something far different from this one as my choice for what I'd enjoy doing with a RV.