• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Signature Part 2

Mtntopper Signature Line

• Dump It - It Offends Me

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Keep It - It Does Not Offend Me

Votes: 27 93.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I have had my current signature for about 3 weeks. I will leave it up to a majority vote of FF members whether I keep or dump it immediately. I am sure it will be gone by inauguration day anyway as he is my president at that time and like any good American I must respect the pres.....:whistling:

cowgirl

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I say keep it. the way I see it is if we are going to ban every single thing that offends someone well then good by jokes, photos and cartoons, and adult threads. I have read worst jokes and seen worst cartoons and photos on here.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I find it to be racist in a stereotypical way but I also see it as an ironic statement. To me it could be argued either way. That said, these forums pride themselves on open discource and frank discussion without regard to the whims of political correctness. To demand it's removal smacks of censorship, even if the demand is based on the idea that the sig line is racist. This is STILL America and we have the right to free speech, the right to disagree, the right to be offensive, the right to be wrong, the right to fail . . . At least we have the rights for as long as we defend them. And if we don't defend those rights then we will lose all rights.

Trakternut

I have had my current signature for about 3 weeks. I will leave it up to a majority vote of FF members whether I keep or dump it immediately. I am sure it will be gone by inauguration day anyway as he is my president at that time and like any good American I must respect the pres.....:whistling:

I'm one of an overwhelming majority who voted that you keep it. :wink:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I didn't vote, because I really don't care if it stays or goes.
you change your sig often enough anyway.
when I first saw it, I laughed out loud, then called my wife over to see it.
she laughed, said it was wrong - but funny, then walked away.

neither of us found it racist. Ironic and probably not in the best of taste, but then neither is most of what people consider funny on SNL or other forms of standup comedy.

:biggrin:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Witty, humourous, and thought provoking, that's a keeper! Though I almost voted against it just to see what's next, figured keeping it for awhile is more in the spirit of the debate.

daedong

I didn't vote, because I really don't care if it stays or goes.
you change your sig often enough anyway.
when I first saw it, I laughed out loud, then called my wife over to see it.
she laughed, said it was wrong - but funny, then walked away.

neither of us found it racist. Ironic and probably not in the best of taste, but then neither is most of what people consider funny on SNL or other forms of standup comedy.

:biggrin:

Help me here, if it is not racist why then is it wrong?

BoneheadNW

Once again, I don't find it racist but in bad taste. One persons opinion that something is in bad taste is another persons idea of a joke. I don't care if you keep it or not. Therefore, I did not vote.
Bone

AndyM

Charter Member
I did not vote. There should be a choice that says "Keep it even though it is offensive"

While there may be members who may not agree with it (myself included), you have the right to free speech and you are allowed to express your view here.
Besides, I'm sure my viewpoint on many issues is frowned upon by a member or two. :unsure:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Help me here, if it is not racist why then is it wrong?

BoneheadNW said:
Once again, I don't find it racist but in bad taste. One persons opinion that something is in bad taste is another persons idea of a joke. I don't care if you keep it or not.

That reminds of how gray that exact question is Vin, as in "part 1" of this topic I used those two as well as "PC" in the same sentance quoting BoneheadNW in his statement [as he noted much like his now] with an obviously different conclusion than he had when writing it.

So, while I'd say I understand the differences, I couldn't explain them and certainly do not know where the overlap lies. Of course, I'm so dismayed with PC that I'll take bad taste any day if it helps fly in the face of PC. Regarding the signature in question here though, I can't put it better than either Cowgirl or Skurka and don't consider it even bad taste.

daedong

Interesting how you are so condescending and insulting toward residents of Alaska in the way you phrase your comments. Seems to me that if you want Mtntopper censored then you should be treated the same way, but if you only want him to self censor his words then you should act in the same manner.

Fuk me Bob there was no intent of being condescending but just to please you I edited my post.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I voted to dump it , it does not offend me but I believe it is offensive.

I don't get it Vin,
There is one vote saying "Yes, It offends me"
I'm guessing that is you, since you said you voted to dump it. But in your post you said it does not offend you. :confused:
So ...does that mean you vote to remove it because it 'might' offend somebody?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Fuk me Bob there was no intent of being condescending but just to please you I edited my post.

Maybe there was no intent but it was clearly insulting and condescending but it was also politically correct (seems offending the right wing political believers is 'fair'). Mtntopper may also have had no intent but his signature line is NOT politically correct. Perhaps that is your real issue?

daedong

I don't get it Vin,
There is one vote saying "Yes, It offends me"
I'm guessing that is you, since you said you voted to dump it. But in your post you said it does not offend you. :confused:
So ...does that mean you vote to remove it because it 'might' offend somebody?

I voted to dump it , it does not offend me but I believe it is offensive.
Pretty obvious that it does not offend me because I am not a black person living in gov housing.

I would imagine any black person that visits this forum would take offense, I guess if you don't think it offends visiting blacks then it is your call.

daedong

Maybe there was no intent but it was clearly insulting and condescending but it was also politically correct (seems offending the right wing political believers is 'fair'). Mtntopper may also have had no intent but his signature line is NOT politically correct. Perhaps that is your real issue?

Yep maybe you are right the difference then is that I addressed my error when it was pointed out.

AndyM

Charter Member
I would imagine any black person that visits this forum would take offense, I guess if you don't think it offends visiting blacks then it is your call.

I have yet to meet a "black" person, or for that matter, a "white" person. Seems to me, calling someone who has dark tan skin as "black" would be offensive. :whistling:

I believe our Creator made one race... the human race. Why do we have to categorize everyone?

daedong

I have yet to meet a "black" person, or for that matter, a "white" person. Seems to me, calling someone who has dark tan skin as "black" would be offensive. :whistling:

I believe our Creator made one race... the human race. Enough with trying to categorize everyone.

Isn't that what we are discussing.
Just another black family living in government housing.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
What I find interesting is that he's had that signature for two weeks or so before someone said anything. When I first saw it, I thought there would be some flack about it.
Is it offensive? Not to me. But I would not have used it. There are lots of things that get posted here that I may not agree with, but this forum is very open.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty obvious that it does not offend me because I am not a black person living in gov housing.

Thanks Vin. I understand that.

If a post offends a member and they report it ...then a decision has to be made. Bob said it very well in one of the first posts in this thread. Free speech to some extent. But we all know there is limits. I censor some words so you cannot type them and have them show up. Some posts are pulled. But we do not want to make this a boring PC forum. I do believe the forum would die a slow death if we tried to be PC on everything like TBN tries.
It is impossible to please all the people all the time, but we strive to give everyone a voice to say what they please within limits.

daedong

What I find interesting is that he's had that signature for two weeks or so before someone said anything. When I first saw it, I thought there would be some flack about it.
Is it offensive? Not to me. But I would not have used it. There are lots of things that get posted here that I may not agree with, but this forum is very open.

Jerry, this has been blown out of all proportion, what happened was I noticed it for the first time only yesterday so I gave him neg points for it. He then chose to bring it out into the open. I was simply expressing I thought it was inappropriate.