• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Home Security Systems

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
After a recent burglary, my wife has demanded a monitored security system be installed. Does anyone have one in their home or have a good recommendation on one? Anyone have a NO vote on one brand or the other?
I have installed my own in the last two places we lived, but the wife doesn't want me doing it this time for some reason. Plus she wants a system that is monitored by a 24/7 response center.
I've looked at Alarm Force, ADT and Brinks. My son had a Brinks system installed today, but I haven't heard from him on how it went or the final installation costs.

Cityboy

Banned
I prefer a local company with local monitoring if you can get it. You'll get better service in the long run, and possibly not have to sign a long term contract like ADT or Brinks will likely want you to sign.

k-dog

My parents had ADT installed and they kept trying to nickle and dime them on everything like when the backup battery had to be replaced, they wanted to charge way too much and then they had a problem with a sensor and they wanted my parents to pay for that which was a ridiculous amount. My parents then switched to Brinks and they installed extra keypad and some other extras. They had a problem with one of the sensors and Brinks came out investigated and fixed the problem for no charge. I also like the way the Brinks system is turned on and off better.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have an ADEMCO brand alarm. That is what I had at my office as well. At my retail stores I have HONEYWELL systems. I even looked at RADIO SHACK systems. From what I can tell they are all interchangeable systems. I'd have no preference of one over another. I'd even bet the guts are all the same and the head units are the only thing that are different because all work the same.

That said I use a local company. You buy the alarm from a local company and sign up with a monitoring service to monitor the calls. The monitoring service is typically a 3rd party company that is not affiliated with the local alarm company.

In my house I have 3 control pads (not including the pad in my workshop). One at the front door, one at the entry from the garage, and one in our bedroom. The purpose of the one in the bedroom is largely to set off the PANIC mode if someone is trying to get in in the middle of the night and the dog doesn't scare them off. For the control pads I prefer to have at least 1 of the more expensive units with the digital readout that describes the fault, setting, etc in text. They are easier to program and easier to understand if there is ever a problem. There is no reason to spend the extra money to get multiple deluxe control pads, so if you need more than one entry point + your bedroom, then put the deluxe pad in the bedroom.

While you are at it, get the FIRE MONITORING sensor too. The sensor costs a few bucks but it saves me 10% on my home insurance bill, which is enough to pay for 6 months of monitoring the whole system! Also make sure you tell your insurance company you have a professionally installed and monitored alarm and they will usually drop your homeowners insurance.

Not sure about other's thoughts but I don't want bad guys to pick my house. For that reason alone I have about a dozen "THIS HOME MONITORED . . . " stickers on windows of my home. I'd rather have some small stickers on my windows than to clean up a mess after the bad guys leave.

Oh, and Jay's big dog is a good choice too. My dog Misha is a friendly dog if I introduce you to her, but she is all fangs and claws to people who approach the front door until I tell her to get down and send her away from the door (which I don't always do). A dog is good. An mean looking big dog that acts aggressive and territorial is much better.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Another possibility :) ? She can definitely :4_11_9: people. Jay

Funny part is............I have a 100lb dog, part Shepard, part Golden and part Arctic of some sort. They walked in and fed him leftovers out of the fridge to keep him busy. :smileywac

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Funny part is............I have a 100lb dog, part Shepard, part Golden and part Arctic of some sort. They walked in and fed him leftovers out of the fridge to keep him busy. :smileywac

Boy can I relate. Now, if you tried to get in and were carrying a skateboard that might be different. She hates skate boards. Although, for a treat, I think she'd open the door for you..

American Woman

Site Supporter
My home was broken into a few years ago, and the Police officer that came out to do the report said if I had an ankle biter in the house it may not have happened. I don’t have much advice on what kind of system, but I would defiantly have one if I lived in town or a neighborhood. .

jbrumberg

The trouble with "Samantha" (a rescue case in "recovery") is that she scares the UPS, Fedex, and DHL delivery guys so much that they take all my deliveries to where I work (1.3 miles away). I always know when a new delivery guy is at my place- the package(s) are left where they are dropped :4_11_9: . Although she has attacked a few boxes she has never bit anyone (She appears to "understand" the consequences of "extreme predjudicial reponse"; but she has muzzle punched. It really hurts when a 90 pound 4WD torpedo hits you at speed. She will take doggy treats from the gas delivery guy when she partially opens opens the slider between lunges at the door. I keep her under close supervision I do not need a lawsuit, but I really do not know what she would do if she thought my wife and I were threatened. I do have "backups" :2gunsfiri if needed. Jay

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
:2gunsfiri bang bang, your gone............sorry dude but you broke into the wrong house this time.

my house many years ago was broke into, minors, theives, scum parents, next door neighbor..............

told his dad next time they will be carrying a body bag out.

Sorry officer I felt my life was in danger:tiphat: :idea: :thumb:

seriously, if I were going to install something it would be one where I could monitor it on the net also, with 24/7 coverage, 3rd party, and a backup battery in case they cut the power.............

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well after researching all of the options available, local versus national and everything else option wise, we finally set 2 appointments for estimates. First guy shows up tonight, a local vendor with local monitoring. Sold his product very well without downgrading the competition. Showed us all of the equipment they could install and where. When I had a differing opinion as to what equipment should go where, he was open to listen to my opinions and agreed that maybe that would work better in our unique situation. I wanted a wired system versus wireless. Just me I guess. He said they would use the basement for the wiring, but they can't do that, most of it is finished. It's attic work or nothing. I've already pulled a phone line and installed an outlet for it.

Then he explained the difference in the way they verify alarm signals and why. They dispatch the local authorities first, then try to verify the alarm with the contact numbers. If the alarm resets and is shut off they cancel the dispatch call to police, as their equipment calls them when the system resets after an alarm. Some of the others I found, in researching, will do an "enhanced verification" method first by calling two of the contact numbers before they make a dispatch call. Too late sometimes in my opinion. If the alarm signal goes through and then resets, they still call to make sure everything's ok.

Turns out the guy knows my wifes boss, so we can get a discount on the installation price by using their family and friends discount. They are also willing to tie in the door sensors I had pre-wired when I replaced a few doors at no charge. One year warranty on parts and labor.

I guess I need to cancel appointment #2. Install date is set.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like you are comfortable with this guy. I think you need a comfort level with your alarm provider and if he has a good reputation and experience, then you probably don't need to have a second sales call.

BTW, I also like wired systems.

Just curious, what did you disagree with him on that he listen to you?

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like you are comfortable with this guy. I think you need a comfort level with your alarm provider and if he has a good reputation and experience, then you probably don't need to have a second sales call.

BTW, I also like wired systems.

Just curious, what did you disagree with him on that he listen to you?

He wanted a wireless sensor on the rear sliding door. We always use a bar on the door and it's not accessible by attic or basement. I wanted a glass break since we already have the bar option on the door. Just adding the one wireless sensor increased the cost because of the keypad(s) that had to be upgraded. He also wanted to place a glass break for one window, but if we moved it, it would cover two windows and one door with glass. He wanted the control panel in the basement, but their install time and effort was going to be increased significantly over where I wanted to put it on the main level. The basement is only 1/4 unfinished. It's still secure up there and will be easier for them.
Their company is on Angies list as recommended and no complaints in the last 36 months with the BBB.
I've done security system installs in the past, hundreds of them, so I had an idea what I needed and why.

Sir Knight

Consider getting wiring for your screens -- it's better than arming the windows for a number of reasons. First off, if somebody cuts the glass, they can by-pass a wired window not so with a wired screen. Cutting the screen will cut the wire breaking the connections and setting off the alarm. Secondly, you can leave your windows open at night getting fresh air but still have the alarm on and that entry point secure. A wired window that is left open, is no longer armed.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Only two windows are accessible from the ground. You'd have to 7+ foot tall to even reach the rest much less try to open them and crawl in. The two accessible ones are never left open at night or if we're gone. Those will be protected. I also have several rolls of the screen wire to do the screens if I ever felt the need to do it.
A wired screen can be foiled as well.

Sir Knight

A wired screen can be foiled as well.
How? I ask this in all seriousness because we leave our windows open all of the time in the summer under the assumption that any attempt to cut the screen or remove the screen will break the circuit and trigger the alarm. The alarm also has a battery back up so cutting power to the house isn't a workable option.

PS: We also have a 140-pound dog that sleeps at the top of the stairs and I've got a Beretta 96FS in my nightstand with an attached light but still, I'm really curious about how a wired screen can be foiled and what additional options can be employed?

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
How? I ask this in all seriousness because we leave our windows open all of the time in the summer under the assumption that any attempt to cut the screen or remove the screen will break the circuit and trigger the alarm. The alarm also has a battery back up so cutting power to the house isn't a workable option.

PS: We also have a 140-pound dog that sleeps at the top of the stairs and I've got a Beretta 96FS in my nightstand with an attached light but still, I'm really curious about how a wired screen can be foiled and what additional options can be employed?
SK,
It depends on the connection to the screen itself. I've seen hard wire to the screen, in that case the screen can be pushed in or out and the connection is not broken. I've seen spring loaded contacts, in which case it is much harder, but screen frames are fragile and can be pried in on one side and bent out of the way. I suspect there are few more ways to connect the screen wires to the system.

I did find one brand that has a reed switch in the frame with a magnet in the screen track. Now I suppose if the screen had multiples of those, along with the wires, it'd be pretty secure.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I called to cancel appointment #2 today. Got his voicemail so I just said I wanted to cancel our appointment as we had signed a contract already and I didn't want to waste anymore of his time by coming out. 3 hours later he calls and got my voicemail. "You know, your contract doesn't begin until it's installed. Let me come by anyway and show you how our equipment and service is better than whoever you signed with. If you signed with XYZ or ABC then you need to know that their service is very unreliable and they put their equipment out to bid to the lowest priced 3rd party manufacturer."

I never returned his call.

XYZ or ABC was not who I signed with.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the alarm install is done. I prewired a few items for them and got a discount on price. Also installed an outlet out of the way for them to plug into. Drilled a lot of the holes from the attic down the walls and dropped in pull strings. Ran a separate phone line for the line seizure module. The installer couldn't believe it was going to be so easy for him to install everything.
4 hours later, local monitoring checked, homeowner instructed and Momma's happy. You know what they say........when Momma's happy, everyone's happy.

So, I hope the low lifes that caused all of this are enjoying my LCD TV and their wife looks good in Mrs TC18's pearls. But could I have my DVD/VCR remote back? I can't work the VCR you left behind......

Homesec

Hah..! that's enough to scare the rascal:poke: but what about when you need to leave your home in long period of time..?:fart2: it would be better to hire a security company... OR put surveillance cameras that you can potentially place around the perimeter of your home, some systems come with motion activated recorders with sensitivity adjustments so it only records the amount of movement you feel is necessary.:thumb:

Hutchman

Site Supporter
TC, You could have just saved yourself a lot of money. just do like I did, and go steal somebody else's alarm company sign and stick it in your yard. I mean, if you have a sign and your neighbor doesn't, whose house do you think the crooks are going to hit?
Before the self-righteous gang up on me--I didn't really do that although I told my wife I was going to. I have a monitored system that rarely gets used. She's afraid the critters are going to set it off. For some reason, i keep it paid up and do the monthly tests. Hutch

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
we got broken into 4 times in 3 months during the early phases of the house build - now we have an alarm system, gates, signs, etc.... (until we had electricity and a phone line it wouldn't have made any sense to do it) it did drop our rates, it kept the insurance company from dropping us, and I got a good deal from the installer/monitoring company because I also have a commercial account with them -- which is why I picked that company in the first place, because I already had experience with their level of customer support. We're wired for fire sensors upstairs and down, for the additional discounts and piece of mind, and our system has built in battery backup, as well. The other thing that helped slow down the burglars was the weekend I had a couple buddies up helping me hang drywall and one of them was out watering a tree when he heard a noise so he grabbed the 308 out of his truck and went for a walk in the woods. The other fella had a pistol, and there was suddenly a LOT of whispering and brush rustling over by the property line as they rapidly left. the next day I hung one of my spare signs next to the fence where they had come onto the property... :)