• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Change clocks, change batteries

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
It's that time of year again.

When you change your clocks tomorrow night, it's a good time to change the batteries in your smoke detector, and test it to ensure it works. Check the manual, some may need dusting or other periodic maintenance. Your local fire department may offer assistance too.

Although the batteries may be ok, it's still good to replace them. Nothing worse than the battery dying in a few months when you really need it.

Gatorboy

I never understood the change batteries thing during time change -- my smoke detectors will "chirp" when the batteries get low. I change them when that occurs.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I never understood the change batteries thing during time change -- my smoke detectors will "chirp" when the batteries get low. I change them when that occurs.

You must not have helpful and resourceful kids then. Last winter I happened to notice that one of our smoke detectors was hanging open. Hmm, it wasn't that way last time I looked... After closer inspection, it didn't have a battery in it. :confused: Oh well, I put one in and went about my business. About a month later, the same thing happened!

I had to start asking about it then. It appears that the chirping noise bothered my 7 year old when he was playing his video games. So, he figured how to get a 6' step ladder out of the closet, climb up the ladder, open the detector, and that removing the battery stopped the annoying noise. :pat:

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter

Because some people don't hear them chirp, or they are chirping in a back room. Or they've been dead for two years.

And, a few extra batteries are cheap insurance...

At a minimum, it is good to test the detector, and make sure it is clean, maintained ect.

There are WAY too many fires that happen in houses where there are dead batteries in the detectors, or the detector is not working. Some even have limited useful lives(have seen 5 and 10 year for example).

Cityboy

Banned

Yeah, why insure your family's safety when you can save .50 cents? Afterall, electronic devices never fail, right? :rolleyes:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
No, I see GBs point. I too didnt understand why. Thanks for the explanation it does make sense and I will change them all today. Thanks.

Gatorboy

Yeah, why insure your family's safety when you can save .50 cents? Afterall, electronic devices never fail, right? :rolleyes:

Hey, what if we just change the batteries on the 1st of EACH month. That must insure more safety, right?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Oregon is not promoting the "Change your batteries" part this year. Since 1998 all smoke detectors sold in Oregon have required 10 year Lithium batteries. This year they just want people to test their smoke detectors.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Ok just changed the batteries in my smoke detectors. Whats funny is the one in my sons room I tested it before I changed the batteries. After the test I pulled it off the ceiling (Twists on and off battery compartment door on back) anyway As I was trying to get the batt cover off the detector chirped. I put it on the table and went to the next one. It chirped again. So the battery was so low that just the "PROLONGED test I gave it and telling my kids what to do if they here this noise was enough for it to drain the rest of the battry low enough to set it to chirping. OK all batts changed. Thanks for the tip. Once a year is a good idea and is cheap insurance.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Thanks for the reminder about the clocks. My detectors are ok as I have the type that don't need batteries

Attachments

• smoke (Medium).jpg
    smoke (Medium).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 134

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the reminder about the clocks. My detectors are ok as I have the type that don't need batteries

Holy Crap!!! I just ran a Coke through my nose and onto my lap. That is F'n funny!!!!:yum: :yum: :yum:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had to start asking about it then. It appears that the chirping noise bothered my 7 year old when he was playing his video games. So, he figured how to get a 6' step ladder out of the closet, climb up the ladder, open the detector, and that removing the battery stopped the annoying noise. :pat:
I thought you were going to say that he was taking the batteries out of the detectors every time one of his toys went dead and he needed a new battery.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This isn't right but I'm agreeing with GB. :pat: How embarrassing...

I overdo it with detectors. When I stand in the center of the upstairs (bedroom) hall, there's 5 plus a CO detector within 10' of me. The other floors have the same setup.

The most annoying part is when one starts chirping, it takes awhile to figure out which one it is since there's so many and they're so close.

They do get regular tests and annual replacement.

BoneheadNW

Good timing on this thread. Got called in on a fire early this morning (2 alarm, all firefighters must report) at a large house, parents not home, teenage kids and their friends were the only ones home. House was fully involved within 4 minutes of dispatch, everyone got out because of smoke alarms. House was total loss. Read about it here.
Bonehead

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Screw it man. Im turning the clocks forward and tossing out my fire detectors. :pirate:
You can follow the fall back clock thing and battery thing... but thats exactly what the aliens want us to do. :spacecraft: :yum:

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Screw it man. Im turning the clocks forward and tossing out my fire detectors. :pirate:
You can follow the fall back clock thing and battery thing... but thats exactly what the aliens want us to do. :spacecraft: :yum:

No, not aliens. Just some guys that do firefighting on the side, and have seen what happens when things go bad.
RN
Engine Company 228
Somewhere in Northern California

AndyM

Charter Member
Holy Crap!!! I just ran a Coke through my nose and onto my lap.

I missed the picture in this thread when it was originally posted, but just did the same thing when I saw it... except it was Diet Sprite.