• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1404 Imp Outside Axle Bearing

griz

Can anyone explain to me why the outside axle bearing on my two 1404 Imp's keeps sliding on the axle????
Is this a known problem?

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I would measure the OD of the axle shaft and the ID of the bearing. The axle should be a snug fit in the bearing. If it isn't, then it could be the bearing is wrong, or the axle is worn. If the axle isn't snug in the bearing, then the bearing isn't going to be doing its job of supporting the axle, and it will tear out the seals.

Teeoster

Hi,

Question about your question, How do you get to the outer axle bearings? I took the 4 flange bolts off and the axle did not want to just slide out, it there an internal release?

Thanks

John

griz

Not on the two Imps that I have, standard tracks, if you haven’t an axle puller you may want to buy a puller, if you are going to run you IMP much. What I do is hook a chain to the axle. Best if you connect it to the lug nut studs, at lease three of them that way you don’t damage the studs it takes a larger chain, an adaptor plate or a small piece of a large chain then connect your longer chain to that, also can hook around the back of the axle, if you do it this way put the lug nuts on the studs so that you don’t bang them up, BUT BE CAREFUL the chain can come loose and get you, someone or something else, kind of snap the chain pulling the axle out a little at a time, some come out very easy others kind of hard, but once again be very careful that the chain doesn’t come loose and hit you or something else, also be careful that the axle doesn’t come flying out and get damaged. Do not leave the sprocket on when doing this, as not to damage the sprocket. Good luck

Teeoster

Thanks, I sorta guessed it was a press fit of some magnitude. I just wanted to replace the seals while the unit is still off the machine.

mkntrakes

griz said:
Can anyone explain to me why the outside axle bearing on my two 1404 Imp's keeps sliding on the axle????
Is this a known problem?
is this a stand track or wide as i recall there is a snap ring that holds bearing on axle some also had a ring that pressed on axle to hold bearing in place

nutsster

Last weekend I just snapped my axle on my 1402 at the groove that is cut for the snap ring. I'm installing a new one on this saturday that I purchased from Peterson's equipment. When it broke it took out the outer bearing. The whole thing will cost close to $800.00 in parts. Peterson's had to have new axles made since there isn't a surpluse supply left, nor many used ones.
I wasn't terribly surprised that it broke there because since I owned the machine, it had a bent flange from some abuse from the previous owner.:confused2:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
nutsster said:
Last weekend I just snapped my axle on my 1402 at the groove that is cut for the snap ring. I'm installing a new one on this saturday that I purchased from Peterson's equipment. When it broke it took out the outer bearing. The whole thing will cost close to $800.00 in parts. Peterson's had to have new axles made since there isn't a surpluse supply left, nor many used ones.
I wasn't terribly surprised that it broke there because since I owned the machine, it had a bent flange from some abuse from the previous owner.:confused2:
Ouch. I know just slightly more than nothing about axles on your machines, but do you know if the axles are annealed after machining? It is possible that the axle is work hardened at the point of the ring groove. This can cause the axle to be slightly weaker at this point, and lead to failure.

AKdadio

If anyone has a chance to snap a few photos while the innards are outwards, it would be great if you shared. Especially anything on snap ring locations etc. Cheers. Oh, and have fun slappin the chain around- that sounds like a real hoot. Take a picture of that too :)

griz

the only snap ring location on my axles are the snap rings that hold the outer axle bearingsee pic.
also here is a pic of the insidde of the diff.

Attachments

• 100_2850 (Small).JPG
    100_2850 (Small).JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 260
  • 100_2840 (Small).JPG
    100_2840 (Small).JPG
    65 KB · Views: 264

griz

nutsster said:
The new axle that you recieved from Peterson was it strong built that the old axle???

nutsster

I think this new axle is stronger than the original. It was built by an axle manufacturer and looks great. Like I said earlier, my original axle was bent at the flange. That damage would have put a lot of stress at that bearing point. :mad:
Whenever a groove is cut like that, it would become the stress point. I had a talk with Steve at Peterson's when I was picking up my parts. He said that he sold another axle today. The Clark 4 rear end breaks a lot of axles from his experience. The age of the differential is not helping either. He said he has only seen one OC12 axle broken in a Spryte, and that machine was very abused. (previously rolled) :eek: